Backing up iPad and iPhone to iCloud & the space required

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jrp

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Iowa
I switched from US Cellular to Verizon last week and got a new 32 GB iPhone. I've had a 32 GB iPad on Verizon for about nine months.

I've backed the iPad to the iCloud servers since I got it. The iPhone backed up to iCloud once, but since I've been getting a message that my cloud space is insufficient for backup. Settings tell me that I have 1.6 GB available. Is this truly not enough space for backing up the phone and do I need to add to my iCloud space if I wish to use it for my backups? I've switched to backing up to my hard drive for now.

Check to be sure it is just the 2 devices. I had to delete my old iPhone since it was taking up space. My iPhone5 said no space, it backed up at about 2 GB.

I'll look, but I can't think what else would be in there. It's my first iPad and first iPhone.

Looks like photos are the pigs. Might just back them up on one device. Thanks.

Turning off photos on the iPhone got the iCloud backup to run. Not optimal, bit it worked.

jrp said:
Turning off photos on the iPhone got the iCloud backup to run. Not optimal, bit it worked.

That's exactly what I have had to do with better half's phone. Too many photos and vids. I turned that off and back them up to the iMac.

If I take any pictures with the phone that I really want to keep, they transferred to the iPad and my iMac, so I'm not leaving something valuable to me out of my backup scheme.

mike123abc said:
It is not really that expensive to upgrade to 15GB ($20/year).

You're right, but free is cheaper. ;)

If I run into future shortages I'll likely spring for the expanded storage.

I guess you have to figure how much your pictures are worth? I lost a few on a trip once, it sure would have been nice for auto backup.

I deleted a bunch of pictures that are on my iPad and iMac and are backed up on both. That reduced the space needed for backup enough that I could turn iCloud backups back on. Nothing yet at risk. Now I know what to do if it again becomes an issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)