Backlit remote

Gaw

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Dallas/Ft. Worth
I've searched for this on the site but have not found an answer to this...I have a vip722k and run it in dual mode. I have a harmony one remote that I use in our living room...we use the provided dish remote in the bedroom but since we use it at night, it's impossible to see. I'm not wanting to spend the amount for another harmony one just for the bedroom...I have looked at a backlit urc universal for the bedroom for around 25.00 but in my research on this site, I'm reading that because the vip722k is in dual mode, you cannot use just any remote. Is that correct? If so, what kind of remotes will work in my situation? Thanks...

I'm reading that because the vip722k is in dual mode, you cannot use just any remote. Is that correct? If so, what kind of remotes will work in my situation? Thanks...

The 2nd remote uses UHF radio frequencies to send the signals to the receiver (which is why there's an antenna on the back of your DVR. It broadcasts that frequency out and your 2nd remote uses that signal.) It also uses RF to send the volume command (or any other TV-specific command) to your TV just like any other remote, but the UHF is what makes these remotes unique. I'm not aware of any Universal Remotes that use both UHF and RF. UHF doesn't require "line of sight" so you don't have to point the remote at anything to change channels, but RF does require "line of sight" so you have to point the remote in the general direction of the TV for it to work.

The 2nd remote uses UHF radio frequencies to send the signals to the receiver (which is why there's an antenna on the back of your DVR. It broadcasts that frequency out and your 2nd remote uses that signal.) It also uses RF to send the volume command (or any other TV-specific command) to your TV just like any other remote, but the UHF is what makes these remotes unique. I'm not aware of any Universal Remotes that use both UHF and RF. UHF doesn't require "line of sight" so you don't have to point the remote at anything to change channels, but RF does require "line of sight" so you have to point the remote in the general direction of the TV for it to work.

When he says "RF" he actually means "IR."

Ok...thanks for the replies...what are my options? Does Dish have a backlit remote? Any backlit remotes that do both UHF and ir?

I've searched for this on the site but have not found an answer to this...I have a vip722k and run it in dual mode. I have a harmony one remote that I use in our living room...we use the provided dish remote in the bedroom but since we use it at night, it's impossible to see. I'm not wanting to spend the amount for another harmony one just for the bedroom...I have looked at a backlit urc universal for the bedroom for around 25.00 but in my research on this site, I'm reading that because the vip722k is in dual mode, you cannot use just any remote. Is that correct? If so, what kind of remotes will work in my situation? Thanks...

Maybe try a nitelight in the bedroom?.;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts