Bad Box?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dgordo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
Chicago
I am unable to get any of the HD channels. When i check the signal strength on the box I either can't get any signal on sat b or c or i get a message that says error, wrong satellite. When i check on my other boxes i can get a signal on both b and c. when i take that box and move it to another room i have the same problem. when i take a box from another room and move it into the room the hd box is in i get a signal on both b and c and no error message. does this seem like a problem with my box or maybe a bad switch?

Did you set up the box that you are having problems with for the oval dish setup. If you did not select the oval dish setup the box will not pickup from all 3 satellites. go into the instulation screen and make sure you have selected oval dish type.

Yes it is set up on the 3 lnb dish. When i use auto detect it only recognizes my dish as the round one so i have to manually set it to 3 lnb but my other boxes have no trouble detecting the dish as the 3 lnb dish.

hdtvtechno said:
If i understand u correctly,

u are using two different boxes to check the signals, right ?

it might be that the box is no good.

that is correct. i have tried the hd box in 2 different rooms and had problems in both rooms. i have also moved a working box into the room the hd box is in and it was able to see sat b and c. I think the box is bad but i wondered if anyone could think of anything else it could be.

What is the box type / model. I remember reading on here (I think) that some of the Samsungs had a weird issue were they had to be reset a strange way to get them to see the dish right.

I had an odd problem that originally brought me to these boards thats similar to this. All of my DVRs in the house wouldnt get odd transponders. Then every so often everything was fine, then every so often half strength, but more often than not I had no odd transponders.

At any given time, I could hook up my 1 DSX5500 to any feed in the house and it would work fine.

After replacing my pretty Phillips DVR with an ugly Samsung I had a service call scheduled. They replaced one connector for no reason (to no avail) just to test (they were in awe of my wierd problem) and then replaced the LNB/Multiswitch portion of my Phase 3 dish just as a troubleshooting step and that fixed the problem.

I'm not saying this will fix your problem, and it may not even be an option really... but they're not very different symptoms if I'm reading everything correctly.

I'd call DirecTV, you'll end up at the second tier of tech support because front line guys cant replace HD IRDs and you've done everything in the Searching for Satellite script. Clearly explain everything you've done and see what they say.

Well, after having a technician come out and stare at my dish for 3 hours I decided to go to best buy and pick up a new box. Turns out it was a bad box.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)