Bad Company

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Several years ago I decided to tear down a old shed that was a eyesore. I needed the extra space for my garden.
While in the process of tearing down the shed I noticed some bumble bees buzzing around the shed but I paid it no mind. "I won't bother you if you don't bother me" was my motto and I kept going.
I got the whole shed torn away and started to lift up a small sheet of plywood on the ground (shed had dirt floor) with my hammer when all the sudden bumble bees started to come out from the ground.
I haul butt, running thru my neighbor's yard. I looked back and one of the bees were ganging up on me! My instinct was to start swapping with my hands to ward off that bee (still running) and I forgotten I still have my hammer in my hand. The bee didn't get me but my wife had to send me to doctor to have stitches above my right eye. My doctor was laughing real hard while trying to sew my cut. He picked on me for several visits since that day,
The next day I went to that bee nest and gave them the old gasso (gasoline).
I know this is a FTA site and we are off the subject, but the bottom line those wasps, biting beetles, bees, and other bad critters can be in those BUDs and pizza pans.
Bee warned!

ACWX Passes fact-check!

Ok Gordy, I thought all these things were real lady-bugs, according to some sites I just looked at, they can be red, or orange with black spots. And yes, they can bite.
Something like 400 varieties of lady-bug (they're all beetles) in North America.
BUT,
here's the scoop from Penn State, and you gotta believe them:
Multicolored Asian Lady Beetle (Ladybug) — Entomology — Penn State University

I can kill 'em all now.

AC you are just full of , lol, good information.

:D

Turbo,

Sometimes I have some neat tidbits of trivia, but I am never full of "it"! LOL :D

Well, I take that back, I am full of "it" all the time, but just not here with you all. I reserve the "full of it" for the supervisors and managers where I work (Oh Baby! You're so smart... And they're so DUMB!") Excerpt from Blazing Saddles.

ROFLMAO!

RADAR

The greatest damage caused by the multicolored Asian lady beetle is the discomfort they give to homeowners. It is not uncommon for tens of thousands of beetles to congregate in attics, ceilings and wall voids, and due to the warmth of the walls, will move around inside these voids and exit into the living areas of the home.

In addition to beetles biting (which they do), they exude a foul-smelling, yellow defensive chemical which will sometimes cause spotting on walls and other surfaces. Most people are only annoyed by the odor of these chemicals. However, some individuals have reported experiencing an allergic reaction to the defensive excretions. Rhinoconjunctivitis (sinus irritations) and mild skin irritations have been reported subsequent to encounters with the multicolored Asian lady beetle. It is probably not an over-reaction to wash hands or other skin after contacting the beetles. In at least one controlled study, the severity of rhinoconjunctivitis subsided with the removal of beetles from the home.

Oh no...
With those unlady beetles sleeping with those wasps (see my pictures again) we may end with with STINGING beetles!!!
LOL

All in fun, Gordy, thanks for setting me straight. I have enough allergy problems without those things adding to it. I have had about 6 of them running around in my computer room for the last week, a few I scooped up and sent outdoors because I thought they were good insects.
I just finished up with the supervac (DEATH FROM BELOW lol) and they are gone.

All in fun, Gordy, thanks for setting me straight. I have enough allergy problems without those things adding to it. I have had about 6 of them running around in my computer room for the last week, a few I scooped up and sent outdoors because I thought they were good insects.
I just finished up with the supervac (DEATH FROM BELOW lol) and they are gone.

Almost sounds like they (those little bugs) were massive invaders at your home, too! They become extremely bad here at my home in the warm fall days when they are harvesting corn an beans. Here, you don't want any doors or windows open at all! Thy come right in!

RADAR

Originally Posted by Conky
haven't done a very good job. still have to spray for aphids. Every time we try to 'fix' nature, it backfires...just ask Australians about Cane Toads or Floridians about Tea trees
Or the Floridians about the Brazilian pepper and the Mangrove tree's.
(I used to live in Cocoa Beach, Fla 1988-1997)

Kudzu - yeah... imported because they thought it would make great cattle feed... only the cows won't eat it unless it's the only thing left!!

Ladybugs are a deep red with black spots. The bean beetles are yellow - orange or brown with black spots...

You guys think those wasp and yellow jackets are bad, you ought to see the so called Mexican hornets that live here in east Tennessee. They are about two inches long and looks like an over grown yellow jacket on steroids. Some people here call them European hornets. They sure pack a wallop if you get stung by one. It is not uncommon for some people who get stung to go to the hospital for just one sting. Their nest are huge saucer shaped, sometimes about three feet across. They build in hollow trees, chimneys, sheds and other places. They got started here about 1955. I remember when they first appeared here. I had three or four chase me off my roof this fall while installing another dish. Fortunately, they are not too aggressive though, not like the smaller native white faced hornets which are real aggressive. I wish them suckers had stayed south of the border or wherever they came from.

Boy, I sure stirred up a hornets nest with this subject...

rim-shot-johnny-utah.jpg

Kudzoo grows rampant down here with the heat and humidity. It is impossible to get rid of it, and very difficult to control it. The key is to pull it up by the root...

As for the bees, haven't had dish-related problems with them yet. There are plenty of wasps and yellow jackets down here, and they will get into anything they can get into. I've been very careful to keep any feedhorns covered, though, since we have so much rain.

Those lady bugs can pose problems by them roosting inside C Band feed horns. They were really piled up inside that Dish 500 LNB arm. So if anyone of you having problems with your C Band reception now, you may want to check inside the feed horn throats.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)