Bad experience with sales agents

tekjunkie02

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
n.fla
First agent said that the receiver I have is tied to another account and cannot be activated. I told him that I had just purchased it from a Ebay user, and asked him what I should do... he couldn't tell me, I asked for a supervisor, he couldn't do that, he then said he would put me through to customer service.... That ended up being back into the que, the agent that answered, said he couldn't tell who I had just spoken with, and didn't have any information...repeat to another agent, then I hung up and came here to post this.
I just wanted to know what the procedure is to get this receiver cleared, or the Ebay user to do it, and what I should tell him. And, thats what I told the first agent, when he transferred me to nowhere... sorry, a little bit upset right now. Thanks for anything you can do, and sorry to have to post this!

This can be the problem with buying used receivers on eBay. If you don't get the numbers ahead of time so you can check that the receiver is clear, you could be in your situation.
In some cases you cannot get this receiver activated, if it is on someone's lease.
If it was an owned receiver, and they got disconnected with a balance you will have to pay that balance to activate this receiver on a new account.
I doubt you want to do that! If it was lease you probably want get to activate anyway.
You need to get the eBay seller to give you a refund.
I would also contact a DIRT member here and give them the numbers off of it, so they can tell you for sure, but IMO, I would start a return process.

This can be the problem with buying used receivers on eBay. If you don't get the numbers ahead of time so you can check that the receiver is clear, you could be in your situation.
In some cases you cannot get this receiver activated, if it is on someone's lease.
If it was an owned receiver, and they got disconnected with a balance you will have to pay that balance to activate this receiver on a new account.
I doubt you want to do that! If it was lease you probably want get to activate anyway.
You need to get the eBay seller to give you a refund.
I would also contact a DIRT member here and give them the numbers off of it, so they can tell you for sure, but IMO, I would start a return process.

How do I get a DIRT member, I thought I was posting in the DIRT section?? Thanks,

Over on the left of the main forum listing you will see where it says: Helpers On-line now.
Look for one with the user name in red. Click on their name and then start a conversation with them.

First agent said that the receiver I have is tied to another account and cannot be activated. I told him that I had just purchased it from a Ebay user, and asked him what I should do... he couldn't tell me, I asked for a supervisor, he couldn't do that, he then said he would put me through to customer service.... That ended up being back into the que, the agent that answered, said he couldn't tell who I had just spoken with, and didn't have any information...repeat to another agent, then I hung up and came here to post this.
I just wanted to know what the procedure is to get this receiver cleared, or the Ebay user to do it, and what I should tell him. And, thats what I told the first agent, when he transferred me to nowhere... sorry, a little bit upset right now. Thanks for anything you can do, and sorry to have to post this!

I hope this isn't the case for you, but DISH may have been telling you they can not simply take this receiver from an active account and put on another. Your first sentence says it all, it is imperative that you call DISH before buying the receiver and make sure it is free and clear and can be added to your account. You need the person you bought it from to take his name off of the receiver. But there still could be a problem. That receiver may not belong him and not his (or hers) to sell it may belong to DISH. DIRT will sort it out and let you know what is going on.

Yes, the DIRT agent was wonderful, unfortunately my situation is not so wonderful...LOL!!
Now, to enter the Ebay circus and see what happens next ;)

Reactions: Tampa8
I wish I understood why people buy equipment. My dish bill is $103.25 a month for a Hopper 3 and 2 4k joeys. I paid nothing for equipment. If I had bought it I would have spent over $500 and my Dish monthly bill would still be $103.25. Some say they do not want to be in a contract but I could have canceled my contract 6 months in and still paid less in early termination fees than my equipment would have cost.

I bet it's a simple idiot agent at Dish.

I sell used equipment all the time, and most of the time I will activate it as a courtesy to the customer just so they don't have to go through this.

My advice when activating a used receiver.

Shut the hell up, do not get friendly with the CSR, tell them where you got the receiver, do not ask them to check the receiver or card number, and DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT MENTION EBAY.

Just give the agent the receiver info and card number and ask them to activate it as an owned receiver[\b]

The minute you get chatty with the CSR or mention eBay or where this receiver might have come from, they turn against you and refuse to activate it.

I have activated more receivers than anyone else on here. Just telling you from experience.

This is especially true for Comcast, Dish and Directv

I sell used equipment all the time, and most of the time I will activate it as a courtesy to the customer just so they don't have to go through this.

Shut the hell up, do not get friendly with the CSR, tell them where you got the receiver, do not ask them to check the receiver or card number, and DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT MENTION EBAY.

Just give the agent the receiver info and card number and ask them to activate it as an owned receiver[\b]

The minute you get chatty with the CSR or mention eBay or where this receiver might have come from, they turn against you and refuse to activate it.

I have activated more receivers than anyone else on here. Just telling you from experience.

You can buy your own comcast stb?

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

And people wonder why he's no longer a Dish retailer...

I wish I understood why people buy equipment. My dish bill is $103.25 a month for a Hopper 3 and 2 4k joeys. I paid nothing for equipment. If I had bought it I would have spent over $500 and my Dish monthly bill would still be $103.25. Some say they do not want to be in a contract but I could have canceled my contract 6 months in and still paid less in early termination fees than my equipment would have cost.
Alot of people don't qualify for leased equipment, i purchase plenty of receivers off eBay, but the seller has to provide me with the CAID # before i purchase

well, the OP said he has spoken with DIRT and it's not able to be activated so I bet you're wrong about betting it's a simple idiot agent at Dish

And you can't activate owned equipment at Comcast unless it's with a CableCard, which you have to get from Comcast and *can't* get from ebay or any other source

And people wonder why he's no longer a Dish retailer...

You may not agree with Claudes ways but if it was not for Claude i have to wonder if we would have Satellite guys.com. If I remember correct him a Scotty were best of friends. Was Satguys not born on Claude's servers? Scotty has taken it to the next level and doing GREAT.

PS... The DIRT ppl seem pretty good but DISH, DTV, and the rest do have a lot of CSR that are IDIOTS.

With Dish it was all about finding a reason NOT to pay a $50,000 residual check every month. I was making more money in residuals than I did making sales when they let me go.

Actually I had nothing to do with founding this site. It was 100% Scott.

The only thing I did in the early days was help by paying for advertising, which paid some of the bills for the server and bandwidth.

You can activate your own equipment with Comcast...
http://www.cableboxandmodem.com/activation.html

I don't understand why dish doesn't just activate the receivers. I had to do the dance twice with dish over the years with receivers. One from eBay that the seller still had on his account and one from radio shack that was a demo .I had to call several times to get them activated. I guess they don't want customers that don't pay there bill to sign up a new account with the same receivers. But if you have a long time customer that wants to add to there account it seems it would be a win for both the customer and dish . Customer gets a new receiver and it doesn't cost dish a dime . Dish adds receiver fees 7 to 17 dollars depending on the model.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts