Bad HDMI or bad TV?

nodsirrah

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
I bought a new Samsung LN40A500T1F in December and shortly thereafter received a 722 DVR.
Intermittenly when I pushed the TV on button on the remote the audio would come on with no video, I shut it off immediately and tried again and both the audio and video would come on. This situation would accur once a week or so.
Samsung sent a Contractor Technician and he ran the diagnostics and then replaced the "board" and it has been ok for 4 days and tonight it did the same previous thing.
I called the Contractor, he called Samsung Tech Support who told him to tell us not to turn it on again but to hit the TV remote button and if the menu came up it was most likely the 722 HDMI output.

Has anyone had the same problem and was it the HDMI?

I bought a new Samsung LN40A500T1F in December and shortly thereafter received a 722 DVR.
Intermittenly when I pushed the TV on button on the remote the audio would come on with no video, I shut it off immediately and tried again and both the audio and video would come on. This situation would accur once a week or so.
Samsung sent a Contractor Technician and he ran the diagnostics and then replaced the "board" and it has been ok for 4 days and tonight it did the same previous thing.
I called the Contractor, he called Samsung Tech Support who told him to tell us not to turn it on again but to hit the TV remote button and if the menu came up it was most likely the 722 HDMI output.

Has anyone had the same problem and was it the HDMI?
I had a problem of no sound or picture when I got my first 722 about a year and a half ago. Turned out to be the 722. The CSR told me that "there were known issues" with the 722 HDMI output.
Not quite the same problem. Hope it helps.

I have the opposite problem; when switching from my HDMI DVD player or VGA back to the 722, there's often no audio or sometimes the picture is even corrupted. I have to cycle through the inputs a few times to get the 722 and the TV to sync up. I just can't bring myself to use analog transport, but I'm sure that'd fix it.

:confused: As near as I can guess from that garbled 3rd hand report, Samsung is trying to tell you that if the TV's menu system comes up while the video from the 722 does not, then it's the 722's HDMI output and not the TV's HDMI input. Ha! That's nonsense. It could be either one, and that's what makes this kind of problem so hard to sort out.

It helps to have another HDMI source or sink. ;) I see you have a 622. The first thing I would do is swap the 622 and 722 and see if the problem follows the 722. If it stays with the Samsung, then you have identified your culprit.

The 722 also has HDMI diagnostics. Perhaps you can get some clues out of that.

I have another 722-Samsung problem that just resurfaced. On start up or sometimes in mid-play, it will give a screen of just pure noise. Pulling the HDMI at the TV and reinserting fixes it. Dog gone HDMI connectors. BTW I have an LED DLP. Got to blame this mostly on the Samsung jack.
-Ken

I wouldn't blame the Samsung jack if you haven't proven that it isn't the 722. Pulling and plugging the HDMI cable on the TV end also fixes my problem, and it's the same story regardless of the HDMI input I use on the TV. Meaning that it's my 722. As I stated before, I don't even have to unplug things if I just cycle through my HDMI inputs once or twice.

Don't wear out or break the jack on your $1000 TV. Wear out or break the jack on your $400 DVR. Or spend $10 on a decent set of component cables, and don't break anything.

Another thought: if your HDMI cable has no ferrite cores at each end, then get one that does. I fixed what I believe was an intermittent HDCP problem simply by switching cables. (I bought the good one from monoprice BTW.) On the old cable, the monitor would blue-screen and then go dark upon warming up. Completely unwatchable before the swap.

Still no solution.

The Krell:
Can’t swap the 622 and 722 because they are nearly full of recordings as is my EHD. The problem is so intermittent that I can’t swap them for a couple hours to test, it may take up to 2 weeks.
The HDMI (from Monoprice) does have ferrite core on both ends.
Cowboy Dean:
Component cables would work, but I still would not know if it is the Dish HDMI or the Samsung HDMI and If the Samsung I need to get it fixed during warranty.

I really do appreciate the responses. Any other ideas?

Changing the HDMI cables for other cables with different features didn't help me. Considering the 622/722 history with HDMI output, you really don't need to worry about your TV.

Any other ideas?
OK, if you can't swap the receivers, then swap the TVs. ;) The whole point is to change the HDMI signal source or sink to see where the problem goes.

Also, what do your HDMI diagnostics have to say about this problem?

Can't move receivers because the lady upstairs would not want to move downstairs and vice versa. Can't more the TV's because one is a 56" and nobody here can move it, secondly, their is no place to put it if we do move it. As I said, there is no way to tell how long it will be before it has this problem again.
Just for the heck of it I moved the HDMI cable from the Dish Receiver from Input 1 to Input 2 on the TV. That probably won't make any difference but at least the lady thinks I am doing something.
I looked at the HDMI Diagnostics and did not understand anything.

I have similar problem where if I turn on my system to watch Dish I can intermittently hear sound but there is no picture and the display on the receiver has HDCP Error message blinking. I then have to press another input on the receiver remote wait couple of seconds and switch back to Dish. That solves the problem. What is happening is that the receiver is not recognizing the HDMI input from the 722 as a valid HDCP source and won't handshake with it.

All my components in my setup are connected to the TV with HDMI cables through Yamaha AV receiver, and it is only the 722 that does this. If I go to DVD or media streamer the HDMI HDCP handshake works fine. That makes me believe that it's the 722 HDMI connector that has problems synchronising.

I tried different sequences for turning on the components but it's always the same. It's frustrating but I have learned to live with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)