Bad Impression

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Genna

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 19, 2009
New England
I was scouring the various C-band and FTA boards using google, came across one where people were still thinking 4dtv was dead, so thought I would post a little something about it not being dead and that people here still have subscriptions and are using HITS.... well

I returned to check if any replies were there and I saw my message had been deleted and left with the word "RETARD" and I was banned from logging in. They won't even let this person know! I was only hoping to spread the word so we snag more subscribers and keep it alive.

Is this the norm for most FTA boards ? being hostile and jealous rather than letting people know the truth ?? I do think that site sold things, though by their name they sound more like they would promote a fridge, *extremely* unprofessional, childish administration.

I visited that site too but decided it was not worth a revisit.

You're in better company here Genna.

I visited that site too but decided it was not worth a revisit.

You're in better company here Genna.

Oh I know that :) but on seeing alot of the importance of 4dtv surviving and having a decent selection relies alot on how large a subscriber base we have... but I guess it's going to be a bit of an uphill battle unless no "competitor's" site name is given on those insecure boards. I believe competition is a quality control. And people who simply can't compete sometimes resort to censorship, but end up looking like fools in doing so.

For all intents and purposes, whoever banned me, knows the end user can't tell what it is I said... they probably assume I said something horrible or obscene.

I visited that site too...

You also did a better than job than I did figuring out what site it was. Fridge... fridge... fridge... fridge... nope, still doesn't ring a bell. Any more clues?

Genna, you have to remember that the internet is a lot like the real world. The kind of people you find will be a direct result of where you go. Also, people in the real world often tend to be more pleasant "face to face". Some find it easier to be mean to a faceless screen name, than a living breathing person that's right in front of them.

Cheers

hahaha. ive had some run ins on that site as well. the site mod is a bit one sided in his views and pretty stubborn. one thing you will learn is that basically in this hobby there are 2 camps. one is concerned with the well being of the hobby and the people who enjoy it. the other is concerned with lining their pockets and profiting while the gettings good. satelliteguys is good at accomodating all people and keeping the hobbies best interests in mind. i wouldnt take it personally.

crackt out,.

anony pm me if you were serious and want the site name. haha.

There's other sites out there? ;)

Dang reading that reminds me of a mod that sadly was here for a while and pulled the same stunts. He's no longer a mod here (woo hoo!) and has since continued doing the same stunts at another site

Yup if you notice the other FTA sites all that they do is push the stuff they sell, and put down what they don't. We don't sell anything here.

We love this hobby and do what we can to protect it while some other sites don't care and will sell it out in an instant if they can make a dime.

I got to admit I am disappointed at times because all of the hot receivers over the past year or two have not been sold by our sponsors. They won't sell them because of issues these receivers have (not to mention that none of them are FCC Certified or UL listed.) but I am very hopeful that in 2011 this will change. I think exciting times are ahead. ;)

Finally watch out for some of those sites as it is rumored some of them are not what they may seem to be, Some may claim to be legal but rumors are some of them are not on the up and up. If the site does not look on the up and up and chances are it's probably not.

We here at SatelliteGuys love this hobby and are proud to be America's Largest and Most Popular Free To Air discussion forum, and we are #1 for a reason. I am proud that our members not only enjoy SatelliteGuys but they TRUST SatelliteGuys. Thank you that means a lot to us. :)

If I remember correctly, when I bought my dish back in 1992, there was something like 5 million big dish subscribers. I don't know how accurate that figure is so don't quote me. But as of a month ago, there were 22,000 or so subscribers. I too have browsed other sites & so many don't realize C-Band is still going. So all those ones probably made plant pots out of their big dishes. That would mean fewer than 22,000 still have their big dish. Although I have seen a couple people on this sight firing up their big dish, but I wonder if it's offsetting those who dumped the big dish. It would be interesting to see how many subscriptions SRL & Skyvision have received since the 5th.

If I remember correctly, when I bought my dish back in 1992, there was something like 5 million big dish subscribers. I don't know how accurate that figure is so don't quote me. But as of a month ago, there were 22,000 or so subscribers. I too have browsed other sites & so many don't realize C-Band is still going. So all those ones probably made plant pots out of their big dishes. That would mean fewer than 22,000 still have their big dish. Although I have seen a couple people on this sight firing up their big dish, but I wonder if it's offsetting those who dumped the big dish. It would be interesting to see how many subscriptions SRL & Skyvision have received since the 5th.
I just can't get a handle on this partial quote thing. The quote was from Scott.

feel lucky that searching for a satellite discussion board, something directed me here rather than weeding through the others first, you're a good bunch of geeks and alot of you seem to have that helper gene, or helper spirit whatever you care to call it

By any chance, did you happen to post a web link to here on that forum? Most forums on the Internet have a strict policy against posting links to other forums, especially ones dealing with the same topics as they are considered competition. Usually, this is explained in the site rules when joined.

Please note that this is just my personal observation and I'm not affiliated with any forum.

I was scouring the various C-band and FTA boards using google, came across one where people were still thinking 4dtv was dead, so thought I would post a little something about it not being dead and that people here still have subscriptions and are using HITS.... well

I returned to check if any replies were there and I saw my message had been deleted and left with the word "RETARD" and I was banned from logging in. They won't even let this person know! I was only hoping to spread the word so we snag more subscribers and keep it alive.

Is this the norm for most FTA boards ? being hostile and jealous rather than letting people know the truth ?? I do think that site sold things, though by their name they sound more like they would promote a fridge, *extremely* unprofessional, childish administration.

A lot of people who have large C/KU band dishes do not sub to anything but use them for FTA capabilities. Considering the poor quality and expense of programming
that is understandable. I doubt if anyone knows how many are still in operation. There is a bit of turnover in the cable and small dish industry as well and if programming
sources continue alienating customers in this way the churn and subscriber loss will swell. This is seldom discussed on any site.

Calling people names like retard is very unprofessional.
Selling shareware is unprofessional and unethical but that is what the fridge site owner does.
There used to be a pirate site that would ban people and call them retard or other names and this is probably where this guy came from.
There have been numerous threads started at the fridge site comparing cheap products with other cheap products. It reminds me of trying to polish a turd to make it look better than another one.
These cheap product threads clearly show the lack of experience and knowledge in the site owner. It is obvious the guy does not know what he is doing when it comes to testing products. In one thread I saw, he claims a piece of Styrofoam is installed in a particular lnb to absorb microwaves and he expects you to believe this nonsense.
It is of little wonder that the products he sells come out on top in these little tests. The other inferior products are all referred to as clones...lol.
IMO, he did you a favor by banning you. That site does not represent most of other fta sites as a whole. GregH

By any chance, did you happen to post a web link to here on that forum? Most forums on the Internet have a strict policy against posting links to other forums, especially ones dealing with the same topics as they are considered competition. Usually, this is explained in the site rules when joined.

Please note that this is just my personal observation and I'm not affiliated with any forum.

No, It wasn't an actual link but I made no secret that they were skyvision and satelliteguys.us I think it would have been more appropriate if they were worried about someone hearing of a competitor, that they deleted the references to both and still allowed me to say 4dtv is not dead.

A lot of people who have large C/KU band dishes do not sub to anything but use them for FTA capabilities. Considering the poor quality and expense of programming
that is understandable. I doubt if anyone knows how many are still in operation. There is a bit of turnover in the cable and small dish industry as well and if programming
sources continue alienating customers in this way the churn and subscriber loss will swell. This is seldom discussed on any site.

The downside of commissions

I got to admit I am disappointed at times because all of the hot receivers over the past year or two have not been sold by our sponsors. They won't sell them because of issues these receivers have (not to mention that none of them are FCC Certified or UL listed.) but I am very hopeful that in 2011 this will change. I think exciting times are ahead.

Looking forward to that

Too bad we can't set them straight on the status of 4DTV (if they're going to ban us).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)