Bad Ku feedhorn?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

LocutusOfBorg

Free speech is more important than your feelings
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
I'm not sure but I may have an intermittent feed. Every once in awhile the horizontal dies and comes back but the vertical is OK all the time. I doubt that it's an alignment issue since the horizontal SQ is 99% when I have a picture. I guess I'll try one of those Titanium PLL Ku units unless someone can throw out ideas of things to check that I might have overlooked. I can't remember the make/model of the feed but I bought it with a WSI dish. I'll check tomorrow if that's important info to anyone.

Make sure to check all of your connections. If you have water in a connection or a pinched coax this same thing can happen.

Also FYI, the Titanium's are all out of stock and I replaced it with the Maverick, from Maverick Satellite. Same LNBF, just different name. ;)
http://nc-electronics.com/mk1pll.html

Might not be a defective LNBF. Loss of horizontal polarity transponders is often due to low voltage at the LNB. This low voltage causes the LNBFs polarity to switch to vertical.

Check for corroded connectors, nicks in the coax jacket, sharp kinks, water ingress into the coax.

Check the voltage on the coax at the LNBF. On a horizontal transponder the voltage should be about 18Vdc.

Edit: KE4EST beat me to the post... :)

Might not be a defective LNBF. Loss of horizontal polarity transponders is often due to low voltage at the LNB. This low voltage causes the LNBFs polarity to switch to vertical.

Check for corroded connectors, nicks in the coax jacket, sharp kinks, water ingress into the coax.

Check the voltage on the coax at the LNBF. On a horizontal transponder the voltage should be about 18Vdc.

Edit: KE4EST beat me to the post... :)

Everytime I check the voltage I get 13/18 volts. The voltage is higher than that but less than 14/19. I don't see a problem with the connectors or cabling so far.

It may very well be time to try a new LNBF.
If coax and connectors are good and your run is not 500 feet, :) , the only other thing is it could be the receiver power supply going south under a load.
At least a new LNBF won't break the bank.

Reactions: spongella
An interesting problem, please let us know how it works out when you replace the LNB.

Just out of curiousity, would an intermittent 22KHz being sent to the LNB cause this?

Also, johnnynobody, do you have a DiseQC (could never spell this correctly) switch in line?

Just some ideas to throw out. Maybe not-so-good ideas, but just brainstorming hihi. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)