Bad Legacy LNB - Replace with DishPro?

Tony S

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Hills of Eastern CT
I have a Dish 500 with Legacy Dual LNBs. When I was looking for a replacement, I found that a DishPro Plus Twin LNB was less expensive than a Legacy Dual LNB (and also was more versatile).

Is there any reason why I should not get the DishPro Plus Twin LNB? (I only have one receiver (501) right now, but I will probably get a 942 when E* comes up with reasonable offer for existing customers).

Will a DishPro Plus Twin LNB fit into the Y adapter that is already on my dish 500?

to elaborate
-since your receiver is DishPro (501), you can use any setup for LNB's (DP, DPP, Legacy). Just make sure to do a Check Switch when youre done replacing :)

Heh, SS is just playing with you. Strictly speaking, you told Tony S there is a reason not to get the DPP Twin LNB.

But actually, even more strictly speaking, one could almost say there is always some reason not to do something, even if a very minor reason (thus not reason enough to not do it) (man, count them negatives). We just have to figure it out now (not difficult), and when we do, then your original reply of "yes to all questions" above would be accurate. So there, SimpleSimon. :D

Of course, we all know you were saying the DPP Twin LNB would be a good solution here. :)

Simon
It was a Monday after a long weekend and we turned the clocks ahead so I lost an hour of sleep

Give the big guy a break man :D

Even though the answer to the 1st question should have been "No", I still understood what Iceberg meant. :)

I ordered a DPP Twin LNB from the DishStore yesterday. It has already been shipped and I should get it on Thursday. Meanwhile, I swapped the 110 & 119 LNBs so that I could receive the 119 satellite. (Originally, 119 was bad and 110 worked). With the AT120 package + HBO + superstations, I am only missing a couple of channels by not having 110 (shopping channels and HBO comedy).

Is there any evidence that replacing Legacy LNBs with DishPro LNBs also increases your signal strength?

been there tried that...no difference

took a Legacy Twin at the lake and replaced it with a DishPro Twin...signal still the same on the 301...about 100 foot run

Been too tired to get back here - yup, was jus joshin ya big man. :D

I finally got myself a DP+ Twin - now waiting for the DP Single/Dual to arrive so I can lay my Legacy gear to rest. :)

Iceberg said:
been there tried that...no difference

took a Legacy Twin at the lake and replaced it with a DishPro Twin...signal still the same on the 301...about 100 foot run
I can also verify that statement. After I installed the new DPP, my signal strengths were the same as they were with my old legacy dual LNBs (which were about 7-8 years old).

Foxbat said:
Is there any evidence that replacing Legacy LNBs with DishPro LNBs also increases your signal strength?
Well, I just replaced my Legacy LNBs and SW21 with DishPro LNBs and a DP34 in preparation for the 942 which is coming this week (pictures here)

Before the upgrade, my Legacy Twin turned in 80-90 for TP11 at 119W. Now, I'm seeing 105-106 for TP11. TP12 is an even bigger improvement, I would see 60-70 on TP12 @ 119W, now it's up to 104. TP6 @ 119W was down in the 50-60 range, now it, too, is up over 100. My 110W numbers are 95-96 for TP11 and 97-98 for TP12, also improvements from my old Legacy Twin numbers.

The DP Single at 61.5W shows 117 for TP12, but this has always been a strong signal for me. TP14 and 18 are pegged, and all the other TPs are over 100, except for the ones (4, 17, 28) that are zero.

When I removed the Legacy Twin, the connections looked remarkably clean for almost 5 years. The Rat Shaq pre-fabbed cables have held up. I replaced the ends on the line from 61.5, even though the signal strength had been good from there. The connectors on both ends showed some discoloration and were hex-crimped, not compression fittings. I'm not sure how old they were, at least five years, maybe the originals from 1996!

Since those that have installation experience have said that a Legacy and a DishPro LNB will deliver equal performance, I have to conclude that my Legacy Twin must have been "bad".

OTOH, when I replaced my Legacy Twin with a DPP-Twin, my strength went DOWN around 6 points on both 110 & 119, 11 & 12.

Ya know why? I whacked the arm around messing with the new cabling setup.

You might've done the same thing - with the opposite result. I got off-aim, you got "peaked". ;)

Someday I'll probably try to re-peak it. Maybe.

P.S. My 148 dish didn't change one iota from Legacy via SW-21 to DP via DPP-Twin input port. It was easier to swap out, and I didn't bump it much I guess. ;)

SimpleSimon said:
I got off-aim, you got "peaked". ;)

Someday I'll probably try to re-peak it. Maybe.

P.S. My 148 dish didn't change one iota from Legacy via SW-21 to DP via DPP-Twin input port. It was easier to swap out, and I didn't bump it much I guess. ;)
Simon, if you looked at the pictures, the one comment I made on the Dish 500 was that the bolt at the top of the pipe was loose. I noticed that the Dish 500 had quite a bit of wiggle to it.

After I replaced the Twin and got over 100 (more than the Legacy Twin,) I started to "tweek" and tightened everything after maxing it out to make sure it won't go anywhere. I must have been running out of time back in 2000 and missed that one. :no

And like you, my 61.5 wing dish was spot on. :yes I couldn't cox any more out of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)