Bad News for C Band from the FCC

This will never fly. The bidders for the spectrum will never agree to pay for the retrofit of the earth stations with the needed filters and associated equipment.

Not to mention the cost of building NEW satellites, and the costs of getting them into orbit. Which that doc says they will cover...

I think Pai, a FCC commissioner getting getting carried away by this stupid 5G thing! :rolleyes: :mad:
[/QUOTE]
5g is not going away.... But I have my popcorn and retire in 2 years. Let's see how it shakes out.

Doubt any transitional auction settlement monies will find their way into the hobbyists systems, but will be a significant factor for users such as the headend in the sky and groups like the LDS. Plenty of unused spectrum is available on existing birds and renewed opportunities for growth by launching hardware into unused slots.
Not to mention the cost of building NEW satellites, and the costs of getting them into orbit. Which that doc says they will cover...
Existing satellites will not need to be retired or replaced to deal with a reduced spectrum.

The worst case scenerio was avoided, a shared spectrum! We know that adjacent frequency interference can be effectively and inexpensively filtered out with the proposed 20MHz band guard. Have several filtered products ready to manufacturer once and if, the deals materialize and / or are finalized...

The plan is pretty clear for the satellites in the slots allocated to the US. But what about the others? Anik? Eutelsat 113/117? And the many Atlantic Region satellites that are receivable in the US and sometimes used for feeds from other regions toward the US?

Reactions: N5XZS
Not happy about the effects this will have on 43W/55W/58W/113W/117W at all. There's lots of great feeds and channels on those satellites.

Fortunately, for now at least, NHK World and CGTN muxes are located above 4 GHz.

An even more disturbing effect this is going to have is encouraging more networks to go with fiber distribution only for the MVPDs, and networks that would normally use the C-Band for a backup feed of their live productions are likely going to just go with fiber only instead of the traditional Fiber + C-Band Backup combo that they commonly used before. Hope you guys enjoyed your uncensored, pristine quality awards shows / concerts / sports while they lasted because there's going to be less of them now as they fill up all the empty C-Band transponders used for wildfeeds. If there's even any open slots remaining for wildfeeds on C-Band I'm sure that the cost of transponder time is going to shoot up tremendously which will just further encourage networks to not bother with having a backup feed on satellite.

It looks like Yootoo America is also going to be the first casualty when it comes to the 24/7 linear channels. They're going IP distribution only in May because of this move.

I hope getting to stream your dumb cat videos at placebo speeds on a tiny screen was worth all the high quality, uncensored big screen content that's going to be sacrificed.

Attachments

• YouToo.pdf
    157.3 KB · Views: 242
How could a YooToo distribution transition to IP be the first casualty? This is only the FCC chairman's recommendation with no auctions or negotiations in play.

No Chicken Little... the sky is not falling. LOL

It looks like Yootoo America is also going to be the first casualty when it comes to the 24/7 linear channels. They're going IP distribution only in May because of this move.

Yes they are...same with sd and HD signals...no special transponder required...all happens at the uplink site
You need to be a lot less terse in your statements. This one, at face value, is wrong.

Satellites aren't simple mirrors that bounce the signals back.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts