Bad News For Hackers

Status
Please reply by conversation.
No, their HD is not secure either. I am not going into the details here because it's just not right to discuss on it. Anyways, I hope DishNet does something to prevent the hacking issue soon.
FTARock

vinnyv07 said:
I agree...it is out of control. But ......Dish has to make a decision on what they really want to do here. To me the bottom line is sub numbers. They do have alot of subs and they continue to grow. Their HD is secure...at least for now. I guess the question is ....is it worth it for Dish to spend the millions and millions of $$$ like Direct did to secure their signal? If they did secure their sig....how many subs would they gain as a result? I'm not sure of the sub numbers but Directv has spent and continues to spend a fortune on security. Yes it is important ....but is it cost effective? I feel the way Dish should go about things would be to finally swap everybody out to a unhacked security. They are out there.....but the fact is they really don't want to spend the cash to secure their own system. If they wanted to they could.

Is there really any signs in their subscription numbers that they are having fewer net additions than what they used to?

I think Dish should sue Kudelski.

I am not going to go into details, But looking at the dumps of some of the yellow cards show that some on die security features of the mcu used are disabled in ROM.

Why in the hell would Kudelski disable an on-die security feature that protects against a very common attack?

I really hate to say it, but it is just a fact of life, wayy back when when DTV was open, people were there, they secured themselves up, and instead of trying to break it, everyone moved to E*. Then some observent hackers noticed some of the new cards were similar to the old, got into them (which some of thsoe have been swapped out)

It will just keep happening, if E* secures up to a point where noone can open her, hackers will move. Digital cable can be cloned, they go there (DC II, wasnt hacked yet, as noone bothered, there was always an eaiser way out)

Hate to say it, but the majority of "hackers" out there are even more skilled than those "software programmers" and "security experts" hired @ large companies.

Now when you think about the challenge for the "hackers" to work, must give a thrill when they pop into something, but im still sticking with my $135 a month sub , even if $40 is in rediculous fees, as it wont (or rather should not) die out in the middle of a BOXING PPV, or during a nice HD movie on HDNET (and why is 7 days in may not on till saturday! I want to watch it now!)

Anywho, its just a game, once E* fully secures up, all the hackers will go to somewhere else!

Last edited:
Would he stand to gain more for the "insurance policy" than what he loses in subscriptions? Maybe he plans on a new type of card and just wanted to gain something out of the current cards in this way. He sure aint gaining anything on the FTA unless he is getting some money out of those boxes.

I have no idea about fta, never seen one or used one with my own eyes
he may be losing money with fta, but maybe thats why dish is now targetting ebay dtv did, only time will tell but with what dish is doing to ebay now, its seems vaguely familiar with what dtv did a few years back when there signal was apparently compromised
Maybe these 2 compaines really are 1 company they appear to have a lot in common

ftarock said:
No, their HD is not secure either. I am not going into the details here because it's just not right to discuss on it. Anyways, I hope DishNet does something to prevent the hacking issue soon.
FTARock

I'm sorry ....I meant to say everything that is Mpeg 4 is secure.....the new HD ch's. Problem is that these FTA units are legal. Directv really had no units like FTA to deal with. It's a much bigger problem for Dish right now than it was for directv.

Last edited:
FTA DVB receivers by themselves are pefectly legal. In the past, DTV sued hacker-wanna-be because they bought the programers or some other devices that are designed just for hacking their services.
With what happing now, DishNetwork will have a very hard time to go after those buying FTA boxes on ebay.
FTARock

stone phillips420 said:
I have no idea about fta, never seen one or used one with my own eyes
he may be losing money with fta, but maybe thats why dish is now targetting ebay dtv did, only time will tell but with what dish is doing to ebay now, its seems vaguely familiar with what dtv did a few years back when there signal was apparently compromised
Maybe these 2 compaines really are 1 company they appear to have a lot in common

FTA DVB receivers by themselves are pefectly legal
true to a sence. The boxes are legal from the manufacturer. I have seen places sell them with "the newest most up to date software to get everything". Them ain't legal

The newer Dish receivers that don't come with a card are mostly secure. Since the card slot is currently disabled, there's no easy way to access the box for hacking.

Here is the kicker though. DirecTv is going MPEG-4 soon too, already is with the new HD receivers. Hearing that new MPEG-4 FTA receivers are coming out soon by getting an MPEG-4 FTA box you would pickup DirecTv and Dish Network both. Those would be in high demand I imagine. You think its bad now, both companies are going to have a huge problem when this comes out.

rglore said:
The newer Dish receivers that don't come with a card are mostly secure. Since the card slot is currently disabled, there's no easy way to access the box for hacking.

The IRDs with the emmbeded cam are not really anymore secure than older boxes.
Hackers can still reprogram the on-board cam. It just takes more soldering skills than the average freetver (but not a hinderance for the ture hacker)

All the embeded cam IRDs do is make it harder for the joe 6- pack I want freetv hacker.
But it also lines the pockets of "dealers" who have the equipment and tools to preform the hardware mods needed to program the onboard cam.

If the boxes loaded with hacking firmware, they are no longer legal. For these suckers, I hope DishNetwork will go after them.
FTARock

Iceberg said:
true to a sence. The boxes are legal from the manufacturer. I have seen places sell them with "the newest most up to date software to get everything". Them ain't legal

Manipulating Dish Dishwork receivers/access card is not the only way to hack the service. IMO, changing hardware is not a good way to overcome the hacking problem.
FTARock

rglore said:

pepper rex said:
The only way for dish to solve the hacking problem is to get agressive.Direct tv waged a war on hackers by taking legal action against all the hacking sites and everyone who had purchased material that could only be used for hacking. this happened even before the hack proof p4 card came out.
At present dish is standing idly by while the hackers openly advertize methods of stealing tv.
Time for charlie to get serious and stop this with legal action. Advertizing brazenly how to get free tv is stealing NOT freedom of speech.
Also since kudelski has failed miserably to prevent dish smart cards from being compromised dish should change to nds which provides secure cams

I will NEVER pay a dime to DirecTV due to this. I don't support the hacking either. But when DirecTV started twisting peoples arms with scare tactics saying they were hacking even when they weren't I'll pass! I personally know someone that was going to sued for buying some serial chip from a site. Did he even have a satellite dish or receiver? Nope. He needed the chip for a college project, he googled for the chip as he only needed one and other stores wanted to sell in bulk, he found a site that had it and ordered it. The site was then busted and DirecTV started suing everyone. Could you imagine getting legal documents with your name over a part you ordered for your education?

If Dish Network would follow suit with this, they would be suing everyone that bought a DVB FTA receiver or DVB PCI card. DishNetwork used to sit up all high and mighty as the DirecTV system was hacked night and day now that DirecTV has secured their signal, the pirates are looking at the easier system. I'm sure if DishNetwork locked theirs down better than DirecTV the focus would be on DirecTV and their signal would soon be compromised.

vinnyv07 said:
I'm sorry ....I meant to say everything that is Mpeg 4 is secure.....the new HD ch's. Problem is that these FTA units are legal. Directv really had no units like FTA to deal with. It's a much bigger problem for Dish right now than it was for directv.

Think about what you just said...

No matter what compression technology is used it's still encrypted with the compromised encryption system.

RVD420 said:
I think Dish should sue Kudelski.

I am not going to go into details, But looking at the dumps of some of the yellow cards show that some on die security features of the mcu used are disabled in ROM.

Why in the hell would Kudelski disable an on-die security feature that protects against a very common attack?
They already did:cool: :cool:

Last edited:
All Dish receivers are...

..hacked. Even all cardless from what I have seen on news that came out from hackers around US. Even in Spain that they use Nagra One and Two all are hacked a this moment. I don't buy the speculation that some employee did this. Hackers are much far away in this that all the "whiz kids" the companies have. Directv too have been compromised, Sky from Mexico too. Even the newest one from Chile, ZapTv that works on Conax security. Directv Latin America is old in this hackers stuff. And if you guys check the european sites you will become aware that most services there are compromised. All I could do is keep my payments updated, watch my baseball games with my sixpack of beer by my side and forgot all this nigthmare of hackers, fta, cards, etc, etc. Lets lleave the worries to the companies because they are the ones that have our money in the bank and at the end if we don't pay on time they shut us down even with all the compliments we have given them in here. hose are my two cents.:devil:

All Dish receivers are...

..hacked. Even all cardless from what I have seen on news that came out from hackers around US. Even in Spain that they use Nagra One and Two all are hacked a this moment. I don't buy the speculation that some employee did this. Hackers are much far away in this that all the "whiz kids" the companies have. Directv too have been compromised, Sky from Mexico too. Even the newest one from Chile, ZapTv that works on Conax security. Directv Latin America is old in this hackers stuff. And if you guys check the european sites you will become aware that most services there are compromised. All I could do is keep my payments updated, watch my baseball games with my sixpack of beer by my side and forgot all this nigthmare of hackers, fta, cards, etc, etc. Lets lleave the worries to the companies because they are the ones that have our money in the bank and at the end if we don't pay on time they shut us down even with all the compliments we have given them in here. Those are my two cents.:devil:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)