Bad News For Hackers

Status
Please reply by conversation.
pdxsam said:
In the 10k filing there was an entry that said the smart cards were indeed hacked.
Saladini is definitely doing damage control. Interesting article.

Sam
oldercards

Analysts had been particularly worried that new smart cards, which had only recently been swapped out, had been hacked, but Saladini said none of the new cards at EchoStar had been hacked.

I dont follow the hacking much, but maybe they are correct in that the Smart Cards themselves have not been hacked. But who needs smartcards when all you need is a FTA Receiver and a software update to the receiver. (Ala NO SMARTCARD NEEDED)

Dish is hacked, Bell ExpressVu is hacked.

They both take measures to fix the problem and 10 minutes later hackers are watching TV again.

Dish should have looled a long time ago about moving over to new security such as Digicypher II which has still not been hacked and it has been out for years.

Interesting. Does anyone know when they will eventually wisen up and find some way to beat these people with FTA STB's that have downloaded Dish software on it.

Dish really needs to find the hackers and HIRE THEM.

They seem to write much better software then the Dish Guys do.

With that said please remember SatelliteGuys is a "No Hack Talk" (Copyright Iceberg) site.

Scott Greczkowski said:
These people are criminals for a reason...they cannot be trusted with proprietary information and can do far more damage once they are inside a trusted network. Torture and Death are better ways to deter these thieves..:devil:

riffjim4069 said:
These people are criminals for a reason...they cannot be trusted with proprietary information and can do far more damage once they are inside a trusted network.
Exactly, and if I remember correctly, the Nagravision 1 crack was an inside job.

riffjim

Reason Scott said that is the software "upgrades" that hackers do seem to sometimes work better than Dish's own upgrade....which is really sad

Dish should have made their own encryption like DirecTV did....sadly Dish took the cheap route...

Scott Greczkowski said:

They seem to write much better software then the Dish Guys do.

Isn't that the truth!!!

Iceberg said:
riffjim

Reason Scott said that is the software "upgrades" that hackers do seem to sometimes work better than Dish's own upgrade....which is really sad

Dish should have made their own encryption like DirecTV did....sadly Dish took the cheap route...
Gotcha.;)

Why did Dish Network not go with a new encryption system with the MPEG-4 receivers? That was their golden opportunity to go to the new system but maybe they either are not smart enough to figure it out or it costs them too much more money to make those boxes.

I do not get how Digicypher has gone this long without getting hacked yet Dish Network did even with some newer cards that were not out for as long. Could it be due to many more subscribers to Dish Network than those that use the Digicypher system?

That was my very same thought. mpeg-4 is the perfect opportunity to put a wrench in the machine of the freeloaders.

Unfortunately mpeg-4 is only for the new HD channels and has nothing to do with the majority of E*'s SD channel lineup. (For a long time to come anyway) Maybe the next generation of recievers mid '07 will have better encoding.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Dish is hacked, Bell ExpressVu is hacked.

They both take measures to fix the problem and 10 minutes later hackers are watching TV again.

Dish should have looled a long time ago about moving over to new security such as Digicypher II which has still not been hacked and it has been out for years.

While I dont disagree with changing things out, my understanding from what I have read on the net is that the only reason Nagra 2 was hacked was becasue a disgruntal ex-employee released the keys - and that was what was needed for reverse engineering Nagra 2.

This is essentially no different than what happened with DVDs - a small software company in Germany iirc had an employee that released the keys which opened up pandora's box.

Learning their lesson, BluRay and HD-DVD will have revokable keys which might be another PR nightmare - but its not a one size fits all situation.

I find it comical when I overhear people talking about BR and HD-DVD with peeps thinking that once they come out they will immediately be hackable and they believe they will be able to play with them as they do today.

Are they in for a surprise. DVD *might* not have been broken to this day if it was not for someone divulving the keys.

With that in mind, I am not sure how much more secure the other systems would be if you had ex-employees with information on the keys that opened the system up.

Smith said:
Innocent question for a person owning Pansat 2500A :p.
Why the hell would i have a hacked pansat when I own a 411/311/301/301 and sub to the everything that they allow. Your the one that posts all the "suspect" info on here anyway.

"all the "suspect" info on here " - it was explain many time for you and to others:
- the info if FREE, only lazy couch potatos sticking to sofas cannot read it :D

Take your time and re-read JohnH, Goalie, Hockie posts.

Actually I just teased you. But you are not that person what I thought. Sorry.

Last edited:
HDTVFanAtic said:
While I dont disagree with changing things out, my understanding from what I have read on the net is that the only reason Nagra 2 was hacked was becasue a disgruntal ex-employee released the keys - and that was what was needed for reverse engineering Nagra 2.

This is essentially no different than what happened with DVDs - a small software company in Germany iirc had an employee that released the keys which opened up pandora's box.

I thought it was the reverse engineering of the Xing DVD player for Linux DVD player. Xing had their DVD key in plain text. Once they knew the key they started figuring out others and finally gave up collecting after having tons of keys.

Stargazer said:
Why did Dish Network not go with a new encryption system with the MPEG-4 receivers?
Perhaps a new scheme is there, but not turned on yet, for "future" use so to speak.
But that would make too much sense, so likely not.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)