Hopper Plus Reports Good/Bad

Josephinelcajon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 31, 2016
San Diego CA
Its been a while that we reported on our Hopper Plus.

Software Versions H339 and P115

In general mine is stable and working BUT...
  • I tried connecting Bluetooth headphones and found it moved to the Plus menu where it had a hard time connecting then disconnected all the time especially when changing channels.
  • Even if I manually reboot it if I stayed up watching a movie it will reboot again but always while I am watching TV and not in standby mode.
  • I am still having to manually update apps daily!
  • Continue to have many personalized settings are reset randomly each time you shut down regardless of time of day.

• I tried connecting Bluetooth headphones and found it moved to the Plus menu where it had a hard time connecting then disconnected all the time especially when changing channels.
  • Even if I manually reboot it if I stayed up watching a movie it will reboot again but always while I am watching TV and not in standby mode.
  • Continue to have many personalized settings are reset randomly each time you shut down regardless of time of day.
I prefer to update apps manually on my AndroidOS TV and Nvidia Sheild Pro. I don't have a specific reason why, I just prefer it that way

Thank you for the warning.

Mine has been great except a couple minor things.

When going from an app back to live TV or if tv has been in standby for awhile it turns on to black screen and banner shows outdated info. Have to change channel up then back down and then it fixes.

When using peacock it always defaults with the audio description on. And it resets after every episode to being back on.

I prefer to update apps manually on my AndroidOS TV and Nvidia Sheild Pro. I don't have a specific reason why, I just prefer it that way
I prefer manual updates with things in general instead of automatic updates because sometimes the new version might have issues that others are already discussing and you can avoid the problem if you don't update.

Mine has been great except a couple minor things.

When going from an app back to live TV or if tv has been in standby for awhile it turns on to black screen and banner shows outdated info. Have to change channel up then back down and then it fixes.

When using peacock it always defaults with the audio description on. And it resets after every episode to being back on.
Finally someone else that has the same problem with Peacock as I do.
The other problem with Peacock is that you can’t disable auto play especially since it will play anything it wants instead of your preferred show. This is on any device not just the plus

I prefer manual updates with things in general instead of automatic updates because sometimes the new version might have issues that others are already discussing and you can avoid the problem if you don't update.
Absolutely. When it comes to like, by phone or a computer, I always wait at least a couple days just to see what kind of response those updates are getting from people who take them as soon as they come out. Perfect example is on my Pixel 7 Pro, the May update is out and a lot of people are reporting massive battery drain With the culprit being the cell signal. So I’m not going to do the May update. I’ll wait until June and see if they fixed that problem.

Absolutely. When it comes to like, by phone or a computer, I always wait at least a couple days just to see what kind of response those updates are getting from people who take them as soon as they come out. Perfect example is on my Pixel 7 Pro, the May update is out and a lot of people are reporting massive battery drain With the culprit being the cell signal. So I’m not going to do the May update. I’ll wait until June and see if they fixed that problem.
Funny you say that my ATT Note 20+ updated Monday morning. Lots of issues crashing and battery. By noon another update was out or should I say roll back LOL It even said that on the update!

The other problem with Peacock is that you can’t disable auto play especially since it will play anything it wants instead of your preferred show. This is on any device not just the plus
Peacock is part of NBCUniversal which is a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation.

I tried my cell tablet and Hopper Plus all had zero settings to control anything! I texted their help and they confirmed there are no settings to stop auto play! As a premium pay customer I highly suggested they change this. I feel like they really never send feedback to anyone.

Speaking about the Hopper Plus as I do not have one yet, can one sideload Android APKs to install apps?
I activated developer mode to decrease the delay by shortening the animations and such. It did make it feel faster. Sideloading is something I have not needed yet but should try. I also made to move all apps off the Plus onto a USB thumb drive due to the lack of internal storage. In general, it was a mess in the begging but now is a very stable system. I did receive the H341 update last night and absolutely love the improvements in the remote control. My Joey needs time to receive it from the Hopper tonight.

I activated developer mode to decrease the delay by shortening the animations and such. It did make it feel faster. Sideloading is something I have not needed yet but should try. I also made to move all apps off the Plus onto a USB thumb drive due to the lack of internal storage. In general, it was a mess in the begging but now is a very stable system. I did receive the H341 update last night and absolutely love the improvements in the remote control. My Joey needs time to receive it from the Hopper tonight.
What is the internal storage available anyways? As for sideloading, I have apps like Cantonese input keyboard which is no longer available in Play Store. Amazon Firestick doesn't seem to allow using a different input keyboard.

What is the internal storage available anyways? As for sideloading, I have apps like Cantonese input keyboard which is no longer available in Play Store. Amazon Firestick doesn't seem to allow using a different input keyboard.
I need to clarify after trying out a few things before replying to you. Both the Plus and Joey 4.0 have a grand total of 8 gb shared with its operating system that takes up 4 of the 8! Here is where I got confused: On the Joeys you can add a thumb drive to transfer to it. On the Hopper Plus you cannot or there is no USB input on it. There is a "C" USB where I tried using a "C" USB hub and the Hopper then no longer sees the Plus. So unless you can figure something out??? If you plug it into the Hopper it thinks its a external DVR hard drive so does you no good.

Speaking about the Hopper Plus as I do not have one yet, can one sideload Android APKs to install apps?
Yes. This is how I got my security camera software (Guarding Vision) on there. Made for phones but runs fine on Android TV. The biggest issue was getting it to show up in my apps list, and had to use a different program so it shows up as an app.

Yes. This is how I got my security camera software (Guarding Vision) on there. Made for phones but runs fine on Android TV. The biggest issue was getting it to show up in my apps list, and had to use a different program so it shows up as an app.
Sounds similar to how some programs that installs but don't show up on Windows Subsystem for Android.

Well I had a new to me problem. Paused a recorded show and came back from switching laundry to this. I am instead of rebooting asked for a software update. Kill two birds with one stone right. Its taking a very long time to recover with tuners 1, 2 and three saying "software update" Tuner 4 says available but no live picture. After several reboots and long delays I was back to live TV and to my Suprise H342 from H341.

Attachments

• 20230509_230218.jpg
    20230509_230218.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 72
Well I had a new to me problem. Paused a recorded show and came back from switching laundry to this. I am instead of rebooting asked for a software update. Kill two birds with one stone right. Its taking a very long time to recover with tuners 1, 2 and three saying "software update" Tuner 4 says available but no live picture. After several reboots and long delays I was back to live TV and to my Suprise H342 from H341.
342 came out last night