Bad News For Hackers

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I recently placed my 811 on Ebay, and the price on them are low compared to the hackable 6000. A coworker asked me to place his 6000 on Ebay, so I started doing research when getting weird questions about it that I had no idea about. The type of card in his 6000 is definitely hacked, and it seems all too easy to hack these things.

Now, my 811 doesn't have a card because its built into the hardware. Based on the low selling price when compared to the 6000, it seems like there is no hack yet for the 811...at least a "cheap" one that has gained popularity. Maybe the newer receivers are safe from hacking at the moment...but I'm probably wrong or will be soon.

juan said:
oldercards

Analysts had been particularly worried that new smart cards, which had only recently been swapped out, had been hacked, but Saladini said none of the new cards at EchoStar had been hacked.

There's a Dow Jones News article today that Kudelski shares are dropping because of rumor in the marketplace that Dish Network is looking for a new smart card supplier because their current cards have been compromised. That matches what I read in the 10k.

http://www.newratings.com/analyst_news/article_1229637.html

Sam

digiblur said:
I thought it was the reverse engineering of the Xing DVD player for Linux DVD player. Xing had their DVD key in plain text. Once they knew the key they started figuring out others and finally gave up collecting after having tons of keys.

Perhaps the Xing key was in plain text and not from an employee leak. That seems a century ago now :D

Regardless, same principal - once 1 key was compromised by a Dish Employee, reverse engineering to work other stuff backwards was apparently easy.

There lesson in HDTV is different chips and manufacturers have different keys and if you do something stupid - your key gets blacklisted and will not work in future releases - all while the consumer pays the price. It won't be a one key works for the entire system.

That threat of a lawsuit against a company should make them extra sure to protect their key in the future.

DeCSS has been out forever, they didn't have a licensed linux player until recently and AFAIK is only used for quickbooting laptops for dvd playblack. I heard it was ripped from software but I thought it was for windows.

Is dish stuck with Nagra or can they switch to another platform?

Just a thought here.....when dish moves to Mpeg 4 for every ch, the FTA machines that are out now will not be able to receive the ch's that are M4. If Dish doesn't move fast to somehow secure their sig at the point of the transfer to M4, what will end up happening is the FTA companies will make a bundle and a half selling new M4 FTA receivers. Dish has two options...
1) Secure their programming somehow or
2) If you can't beat them join them.....buy stock in the FTA business.

The only way for dish to solve the hacking problem is to get agressive.Direct tv waged a war on hackers by taking legal action against all the hacking sites and everyone who had purchased material that could only be used for hacking. this happened even before the hack proof p4 card came out.
At present dish is standing idly by while the hackers openly advertize methods of stealing tv.
Time for charlie to get serious and stop this with legal action. Advertizing brazenly how to get free tv is stealing NOT freedom of speech.
Also since kudelski has failed miserably to prevent dish smart cards from being compromised dish should change to nds which provides secure cams

pepper rex said:
this happened even before the hack proof p4 card came out.

wrong... i have in person seen a hacked P4 there arn't many (aka so small u cant even get the info on line) but yes i have seen one w/ my own eyes i didn't believe it until i pulled out the card and yes it was a nice P4 card. No hidden wires I looked and even unplugged everything! to make sure hooked it back up and yep it was hacked.

I do not support this but i did find it interesting.

Can Dish Network actually make a big change in the smart cards with the current receivers that they have out? I would think that they could just use a different type of card on the new MPEG-4 receivers seeing how all of the MPEG-2 receivers are going to be swapped out eventually anyways and those MPEG-4 receivers that have the current card can get swapped out later.

One thing I don't get is why people are so disgruntled about people stealing dish service in their own homes. Do you actually believe for a second that if there was 0 piracy that your monthly bill would go down? If you do, you're a mistaken.

And before anyone assumes that I am hacking, I have 2 622's a 625 and a couple single sd boxes, all hooked up to phone lines with HD Plat and multiple internationals. I pay dish a lot, and don't care what others do with the signal.

One thing I don't get is why people are so disgruntled about people stealing dish service in their own homes

The issue I have is I enjoy free to air...the LEGAL stuff...so when these scum of the earth buy boxes then the prices go up. Boxes were pretty inexpensive a while back and now its crazy. When Nagra 1 was just about to be shut off, manufacturers were DUMPING their inventory..Nagra 2 gets hacked and magically the prices go up $50-$75

Gee...wonder why??

There are too many manufacturers that are making new units to cater to the hacker.

I love the fact these new boxes come out and say "7 day EPG"...pretty sad when 99% of the legal channels that are FTA in North America have no guide. So what do I care if there is a 1hr, 1 day ro 1 month guide...does the legal ones no good.

I do NOT think that our bills will go down one bit if piracy ends. It just aint gonna happen. No way no how. Dream on!!!!!!!!!! Dish Network would just see it as increased revenue instead and an excuse to raise your bill.

riffjim4069 said:
These people are criminals for a reason...

Ummm and what i that reason? :rolleyes:
I dislike when people jumps to conclusions without understanding the other side...

they cannot be trusted with proprietary information and can do far more damage once they are inside a trusted network. Torture and Death are better ways to deter these thieves..:devil:

BS. I personally knew guys, been hired from the other side, turned out to be great security experts.
OTOH when they've been hired, they are out of the dark, so it'd quite stupid from them if they'd do anything to rik their new job and years in jail.

Iceberg said:
I love the fact these new boxes come out and say "7 day EPG"...pretty sad when 99% of the legal channels that are FTA in North America have no guide. So what do I care if there is a 1hr, 1 day ro 1 month guide...does the legal ones no good.

You seem to forget the power of the stupid marketing - I think most of the new FTAers not necessarily well-informed consumers. When somebody comes from the Dish/DTV world, one can easily assume there's a guide here too and then these slogans work.

Stargazer said:
I do NOT think that our bills will go down one bit if piracy ends. It just aint gonna happen. No way no how. Dream on!!!!!!!!!! Dish Network would just see it as increased revenue instead and an excuse to raise your bill.

I fully agree.

1. Swapping hardware is a huge task. Let take the card swap last time as an example, how long it took? And way back, the sub # was less than the # dish has now. Plus back then, it was smartcard, now is receiver that will even take more time....
2. Mpeg4 is not a solution to fight with hackers either. FTA Mpeg4 receivers are already available in Europe. All the hacking stuff comes from overthere....

To wrap it up, the situation is out of control....it appears DishNetwork is losing the battle...sad but true.
FtaRock

Mark_AR said:
That was my very same thought. mpeg-4 is the perfect opportunity to put a wrench in the machine of the freeloaders.

Unfortunately mpeg-4 is only for the new HD channels and has nothing to do with the majority of E*'s SD channel lineup. (For a long time to come anyway) Maybe the next generation of recievers mid '07 will have better encoding.

ftarock said:
To wrap it up, the situation is out of control....it appears DishNetwork is losing the battle...sad but true.
FtaRock
I agree...it is out of control. But ......Dish has to make a decision on what they really want to do here. To me the bottom line is sub numbers. They do have alot of subs and they continue to grow. Their HD is secure...at least for now. I guess the question is ....is it worth it for Dish to spend the millions and millions of $$$ like Direct did to secure their signal? If they did secure their sig....how many subs would they gain as a result? I'm not sure of the sub numbers but Directv has spent and continues to spend a fortune on security. Yes it is important ....but is it cost effective? I feel the way Dish should go about things would be to finally swap everybody out to a unhacked security. They are out there.....but the fact is they really don't want to spend the cash to secure their own system. If they wanted to they could.

From my understanding DTV has pretty much taken care of their piracy problem...and it isn't any cheaper than Dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts