Bad news for net neutrality, Netflix and streaming services...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I am talking about Netflix purchasing better service..its not fraud..they should pay a higher toll.(for better service)..at one point a major telco was building special trunks exclusive for netflix.( to move their traffic more efficiently) they were going to have cache servers etc. This would be a much better way to provide 4k streams...this would allow them to stream at higher speeds without clogging up the regular internet for the freeloaders (lol). By allowing companies to "purchase" better service benefits everyone (Not forcing anyone).

Who, exactly, are these "Freeloaders" you keep talking about? I don't know of anybody "stealing" internet. I pay for the speed I want, just as I'm sure everybody on this board does, too.

Who, exactly, are these "Freeloaders" you keep talking about? I don't know of anybody "stealing" internet. I pay for the speed I want, just as I'm sure everybody on this board does, too.
Yea "Freeloaders" that's crazy saying that. Everyone pays and over pays.

Time Warner here promotes no caps. They promote the higher speeds. If they promote it they should back that up.

I think you and I see this the same.

Sent from my LG-H901 using the SatelliteGuys app!

The biggest freeloader on this site is none other than this man here! How dare he run a website and expect to run on Comcast/Cox/ATT pipes for free.

Scott.jpg

No no no..they want to charge extra to those who need more bandwidth..he pays,an Internet provider
Need more bandwidth? It sounds like they oversold the bandwidth available to their consumers. This isn't as if this is flow through traffic. This bandwidth is being received by Comcast internet subscribers. If Comcast can't provide the service they are selling to their customers, they are committing fraud.

I don't care if I pay Netflix or the ISP more per month for the better streams, but I really shouldn't have to pay both.

Not to mention the other ways we pay for "free" internet:

You pay for your end and Comcast asserts that Neflix needs to pay for their end too.
Yeah. Comcast wants to introduce a toll for the last five miles of a stream. YEARG MATEY!!!!! THIS HERE STREAM... ERR WHALE IS POPULAR. WE SHOULD SPEAR IT AND GET A CUT!

It surprises me how many people think that the Internet is a free public service and that those who provide the backbone bandwidth are providing it gratis out of kindness.

It surprises me how many people think that the Internet is a free public service and that those who provide the backbone bandwidth are providing it gratis out of kindness.
I believe that the discussion is about how "data" is charged. Comcast wants to charge for "data" at different rates depending upon the source.

In the US, we already pay A LOT (as much as five times) more for a lot less bandwidth compared to many other countries, including ones you might not consider "developed" due to government-sanctioned and abbeted tel-co monopolies at the local level. Ending Net Neutrality is just one more way the emerging corporate autocracy is paving the way to further increase their profit margins at the expense of working class Americans.

Comcast wants to charge for "data" at different rates depending upon the source.
Do you have evidence to support this?

Comcast zero-rating their own content is perhaps covered by what they charge for the content. I could see a similar squawk about people who use AT&T or Verizon to access Comcast content.

As I understand it, Netflix forged an agreement with Comcast to upgrade Netflix' access to the Comcast network. Premium access requires a premium price.

In the US, we already pay A LOT (as much as five times) more for a lot less bandwidth compared to many other countries, including ones you might not consider "developed" due to government-sanctioned and abbeted tel-co monopolies at the local level.
Many of these "other countries" have state-run communications monopolies (as opposed to our regulated corporate monopolies). Are you suggesting that we should as well?

Or simply "regulate" the corporate monopolies in a way that allows competition.
Literally, monopoly and competition are mutually exclusive. A regulated monopoly attempts to enforce competitive profit margins without the complexity of supporting competition.

Perhaps you could cite some examples that support your claim. Note that these examples should serve more than just the upper classes/castes that live in large metropolitan areas.

That agreement was pre-net neutrality rules (look at the date in the article), and now violates those rules.
The rules prohibit throttling and paid prioritizing. These typically happen at the receiving end. The Netflix deal with Comcast is to provide better access for Netflix to Comcast's network and that's at the Netflix end of the pipe. I don't suppose it matters that Comcast should have relieved the problem by building a better pipe to handle what its customers were clamoring for.

The fact that the FCC didn't go after the deal before suggests that the agreement wasn't in violation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)