Bad news for one of my ViP722s?

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
The one in my bedroom has twice now come up with an error message upon being turned on to the effect "Channel not available. Press channel up or down...."

It was NOT set to an OTA or non-subscribed channel. Moving to another subscribed channel yielded the same msg. However, after roughly a minute, maybe less, it started behaving.

Anyone familiar with this? I haven't seen this & I've had them for years. Any cause for concern? BTW, both ViP722s are in the open with laptop coolers. Might be time to strip down to the minimum on the internal drive.

I've been thinking about moving to H/J, but I'd rather not do so until late summer.

Nope; I haven't seen that message on my one/only 722. Good idea regarding moving programs to the EHD.

So... You're going to the Hopper OTA or no OTA support? :eek:

Nope. When/if it happens again, I'll remember to do that.

Nope; I haven't seen that message on my one/only 722. Good idea regarding moving programs to the EHD.

So... You're going to the Hopper OTA or no OTA support? :eek:

:p Not willingly. I'd like to see OTA and seamless integration and (I'm dreaming) manual timers from the STB. Actually, with OTA integration, they'd almost HAVE to have manual timers. Almost. Sigh.

AND- I'd like to be able to get a 2H/0J or 2H/1J without a lot of hassle.

If I lose a ViP722, though, it may just force my hand.

I'll have to hold off that check switch for now, I have a recording in progress.

Why do I feel like I'm casting dice? ;)

OK, recording is over.

Check switch 77 72 61.5 OK 1.4K w/separator reception verified Port 4 NC

Point - "500" since there is no 1.4K option.

61.5 T1/2 spot 11 71
72 T1/2 spot 11 51
77 T1/2 spot 1 & 13 48

Now, I will await the dreaded "005." What specifically does that indicate?

OK, recording is over.

Check switch 77 72 61.5 OK 1.4K w/separator reception verified Port 4 NC

Point - "500" since there is no 1.4K option.

61.5 T1/2 spot 11 71
72 T1/2 spot 11 51
77 T1/2 spot 1 & 13 48

Now, I will await the dreaded "005." What specifically does that indicate?

005 is an authorization error. It would say something like "you are currently not authorized to view this channel".

004 says to change the channel, and to do a front panel reset

If you lose, will you credit my Dish account? :D

;):p

UPDATE

I haven't had the error that started this thread recur, but now I'm having a new problem.

One of my EHDs was making a noise, so I bought a 1TB WD DVR Expander EHD (intended for AV use). I have been trying to move programming off the suspect EHD onto the DVR, then onto the new Expander EHD. I can set it up so that it says 5 or even 10 hours estimated time remaining. But when I later check, only a handful of programs transferred. This happens both from the suspect EHD and to the Expander EHD. Doesn't matter if I'm doing the transfer during the day or overnight. ONCE, I got an error dialog box to the effect: Error communicating with external drive. Error 005. Or something like that. Pretty sure about the error #. But as this is under different circumstances, I'm assuming it's not the same as the error 005 from above. Anyway, by powering down and then back up the EHD, I was able to resume transferring. So I'm having to move programming in smaller chunks. Amazing how long this is taking.

BTW the suspect EHD has never made that noise again.

So, what say ye about the cause of the limited number of transfers that may be made in one batch? New s/w limitation by Dish? An impending demise of that ViP722?

Running a batch now. Started off saying 2 hrs. A few minutes later, low 40 minute range. Now, almost 90 minutes after starting, 48 minutes to go.

OK, it gets weirder.

There is ONE program on the suspect EHD that it consistently fails to transfer over. Size is 2306 MB. Plenty of room on the DVR internal HDD. I can select JUST that one program to Restore, and it immediately says transfer complete, do you want to watch it now? But it hasn't transferred, and saying Yes does not play it.

But I can watch it off the EHD just fine. It's an important one, Prophets of Science Fiction, on my hero, Robert Heinlein.

How can this be? stolen from Dune

I guess when I get a chance, I will try that suspect EHD on my other ViP722 and see if it transfers there. After I check for other non-movers.

OK, it gets weirder.

There is ONE program on the suspect EHD that it consistently fails to transfer over. Size is 2306 MB. Plenty of room on the DVR internal HDD. I can select JUST that one program to Restore, and it immediately says transfer complete, do you want to watch it now? But it hasn't transferred, and saying Yes does not play it.

But I can watch it off the EHD just fine. It's an important one, Prophets of Science Fiction, on my hero, Robert Heinlein.

How can this be? stolen from Dune

I guess when I get a chance, I will try that suspect EHD on my other ViP722 and see if it transfers there. After I check for other non-movers.
I'll keep my fingers crossed until I hear how the other 722 handles the program.

Heinlein is worth a lot of effort not to loose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts