Bad news for one of my ViP722s?

BTW, my Dish1000.2 switch acted like your first problem for a few months. initially a plug pull reset fixed it 99% of the time. And the weird thing was my 612 would continue to work fine while the 722 was loosing channels.

One last thing i found out was using the up down until I got to a station on the right bird on got a signal. Now I believe this is a almost certain "tell" that the switch is failing.

Good news for me was the tech that came out saw a bad check switch and just replaced the "eyes" without hassle.

Good. That's reassuring. Esp since I've been paying for the protection plan for so many years.

OK, it gets weirder.

There is ONE program on the suspect EHD that it consistently fails to transfer over. Size is 2306 MB. Plenty of room on the DVR internal HDD. I can select JUST that one program to Restore, and it immediately says transfer complete, do you want to watch it now? But it hasn't transferred, and saying Yes does not play it.

But I can watch it off the EHD just fine. It's an important one, Prophets of Science Fiction, on my hero, Robert Heinlein.

How can this be? stolen from Dune

I guess when I get a chance, I will try that suspect EHD on my other ViP722 and see if it transfers there. After I check for other non-movers.

Updating above.

It's looking pretty bad for the ole ViP722. I moved that EHD with Prophet of SF to my other ViP722. It transferred to the DVR and played just fine. I can only assume there are problems with that DVR. I'll stretch out using it till it gets worse, I decide to move to H/J, or decide to drop to just the one DVR.

OK, now I've got some screen shots and some more information.

I tried to play a program from the internal DVR. I got this (& a black screen showing 0 minutes remaining):

ViP722 err code 05.JPG

Then, while trying to move items from the DVR to a new, known good 1TB EHD (WD Expander), I get this:

ViP722 transfer error code.JPG

So, putting on my Sherlock Holmes chapeau, I started playing different titles. For this title, which looked just fine before trying to play it:

ViP722 before hitting Play.JPG

After selecting it to play, I get this:

ViP722 after hitting Play.JPG

Please note that the error code number is 4 on the last screen, but 5 on the first, but it is the same error message.

Anyone able to explain what is going on? It sure looks like the DVR is failing. I'm trying to move to EHD everything I can, but the process keeps failing, per the above. Maybe I need to PM the DIRT.

BTW, I did get to watch the Prophets of Science Fiction episode on Robert Heinlein. I realized I'd seen it before, and was not happy that so little of the show was actually about him.

Try MENU - 6 - 3 - Counters, scroll down to where HDD temps are, what is your "Fail FS Count?"

Well, per MattG, this unit has a strong resemblance to warm browned white bread.

Whether it's corrupting on the DVR, or in the transfer; that is the question.

We'll be watching like mad, and doing some transferring to EHD, racing against the end. Got my timers now. Weeded them down below two dozen.

Now, options:

- Let the ViP722 die, and return it to Dish for a replacement
- Let the ViP722 die, and return it to Dish without replacement
- Let the ViP722 die, and move to 2H/0J via a local dealer, if possible
- Let the ViP722 die, and move to 2H/1J via a local dealer, if necessary
- Let the ViP722 die (are we seeing a pattern here? :)), and sigh and get a 1H/1J

Considering my job is at risk, and I'm outside the government's "prime employment years" of 25-54, perhaps the last option, or the second one, would be best/cheapest. Only 3 tuners will not go over well with my wife, but I'm sure having just 2 will be even worse.

With "Fail FS Count" being zero, then that means that the DVR's checks haven't found any evidence of HDD corruption yet. Tried a power cord reboot?

Yep. Unlucky.

I may have transferred dozens of programs to their doom.

Very weird. What brand is the EHD? Tried moving the recordings back to it? Maybe the USB cable is going bad?

I've used three different EHDs, each with its own cables & power supply They work fine on my other ViP722. Only common denominator is this ViP722.

To continue reporting the oddness.

It simply refuses to transfer over to the EHD one program. Yet that program plays just fine. When trying to transfer, it instantly says it's done, yet nothing transferred over. I watched a few minutes of the program, decided it was a lousy program not worth watching, and tested to see if it would delete it off the DVR. It did.

Very few programs left now. I'm still gonna try to hold off moving to H/J, but I'll draw out my coax and make other preps for the eventual switch. I've got to put in a raised walkway in the attic. Well, crawlway. We had insulation blown in since the original install. And I'll look up local installers who might be interested in a 2H/0J job.

I've had a few shows that will not transfer. If you are lucky they will be showing again with 6 months or so.

The worst shows are those that have a problem well into the film. You try to transfer and it fails 1/2 to 2 hours later. A waste of time. Then you cannot even transfer them to internal.

I place those with same IMDb rating on a disk, other ratings on other disks. Not the best idea. Every time the ratings change, I "need" to move them. But it does check them for "bad" spots. Hope I never lose my 8.4 and up disk.

Even distributing them first-in to first-available has the problem when finding a new "smaller or better or higher-def" recording. Bigger would have to go to a newer disk and smaller would leave holes not easily filled. Repacking is a pain as it take days to copy off the recordings and putting them elsewhere with 1 to 2 TB drives. It takes a day or two to even split, by rating, a small .75TB drive. Yes, I have 11 working drives for more that 2600 movies with ratings generally 7.3 and up with additional series and PBS shows and even a few VOOM. Now down to about 250 SD films with the rest HD and TCM up-converts.

I had one drive go "bad" with all my "very good" 7.9 ratings. The transfer time is several to many times the play time--then you know it is bad and nearly unusable and maybe unwatchable. It must try many times. Had a lot of current series on it too and it's hard to get many of those again, even in the summer. When will I catch up?

As I have 2 722s on my main TV, I can be inputting shows on one and outputting on the other to get nearly twice the transfer rate. Swap cables while copying the same MB for each. I guess if I go to H/J I won't be able to do that but might save a few bucks eliminating a 622.

-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)