Bad news regarding Dish and "DRM"

Yes, and guess who is behind at least some of the push? HBO. I had cable a few mos. ago & if I used an HDMI hookup a screen popped up saying that I couldn't record any HD HBO programming and I was to use the old style connectors.

HBO was also the 1st one to scramble C-Band feeds. Their greed never ceases to amaze me. Isn't it enough that I pay for HBO? I think I'm entitled to copy HD programs on the 722. :(

So, HBO is making it to where you can't DVR HD programs now? Or are you talking about an external DVD recorder?

You can't actually believe that... This DRM crap is violating those rights.

If HDCP or AACS or BD+ or any other DRM algorithm out there really were uncrackable then there would be no reason for the DMCA to exist. I never said that I did not support the fair use rights of consumers. I would really love to legally put content that I have purchased or recorded on my DVR on to a portable device. There are a limited number of ways to do that now, all of which are cumbersome and restrictive. I also support the rights of the copyright holders to make a living from the content they produce. I have friends and relatives in the entertainment industry who would be financially hurt by widespread theft of digital content. It is a sticky problem, and one that is not going to be resolved easily.

I'm should be receiving a HDMI to component video/composite audio converter soon, hopefully tomorrow. It only has one HDMI port but was still plenty pricey for me. $188 shipped. My 65" HDRP Mitz is about 5 years old and has only component HD connections. I get great HD pq via component but also wanted to take advantage of my "upconversion" DVD player/recorder and possibly get a HD DVD or Blue Ray player when the price comes down. Also somewhat concerned about this DRM crap. It's supposed to be HDCP compliant. Now to see if it works as advertised???:confused: Damn, it better!:rolleyes:

Ed
I thought I'd report that I did receive the converter today but unfortunately the pq is crap on my Mitz.:mad: The pic is dark no matter what contrast/brightness is tweaked to and worse there are horizontal lines that roll from top to bottom of varying colors. It must be something to do with not being compatible with the Mitz 'cause it works fine on a RCA LCD that I hooked it up to via the component inputs. Thing is, that TV has HDMI input already. I've sent the seller a message (on Ebay). Hopefully I'll be able to return it for a refund.

Ed

Here's what it says word for word.
....When connecting a ViP receiver to a television, remember to use an HDMI cable if the customer's television supports HDMI....
Digital Rights Management will be in effect very soon. Customers may not be able to see some HD channels when using a component cable....

Oh my, I better run out tomorrow and get me some new HDCP TVs!

No offense to the OP, but this is like a car dealership handing out a memo that says to only sell electric hybrib cars because the supply of gasoline is about to run out.

While this makes a great discussion topic, component downrezzing and/or shut-off is years, more like decades away. One point already touched on is HD-DVD/BluRay players doing full rez over component. If the studios are so worried, why let it happen on one distribution device but disable it on another?

Hammer

If the studios are so worried, why let it happen on one distribution device but disable it on another?

Hammer

Because they can? Maybe they get that much more money from one but no so much from the other so its not worth the effort? Nah. If there is one constant in the universe its that those with more money than they know what to do with still want even more money. Even if its just pennies.

So when they decide it hurts their profits too much they will demand that it is enabled. Just wait and see. Im sure their lawyers are even to this day looking at ways to outlaw video recorders. Mind bogglingly foolhardy but the cynic in me says its probably true. :D

If HDCP or AACS or BD+ or any other DRM algorithm out there really were uncrackable then there would be no reason for the DMCA to exist. I never said that I did not support the fair use rights of consumers. I would really love to legally put content that I have purchased or recorded on my DVR on to a portable device. There are a limited number of ways to do that now, all of which are cumbersome and restrictive. I also support the rights of the copyright holders to make a living from the content they produce. I have friends and relatives in the entertainment industry who would be financially hurt by widespread theft of digital content. It is a sticky problem, and one that is not going to be resolved easily.

You don't seem to be grasping this. The DMCA wasn't written to prevent piracy. There were already adequate laws in place to punish those who pirate copyrighted works. I have friends in the content industry too, and I know how much piracy hurts their business, but you're still buying into the lie that this is about piracy. It isn't. The DMCA was written to get around fair use laws. Let me give you an example. Fair use laws say, you buy a CD, you have the right to certain non-infringing uses of that music. You can make a backup copy for personal use, and a copy for personal use on other devices. If you distribute those copies, you're breaking the law, but not for personal use in your devices. The record companies don't like that. They want you to have to buy a seperate copy of that CD for each place you want to use it. Before, the "DMCA" they didn't have any way to enforce such a ridiculous policy. Now, all they would have to do is develop some sort of "protection" based on the excuse that it's to "deter piracy". Now, they can force you to buy a seperate copy for every place you want to use it. If you try to break their so-called "protection" to excersise your fair use rights, YOU are breaking the law. It's an end run around fair use. It always has been.

It was a law designed to facilitate copyright abuse. It has been abused more often than it has been used for the reason they claimed it was for. It's been used to harass companies that refill toner and ink-jet cartridges. It has been used to prevent competition, and many other things. You really should do some research on it. If I have to, I'll look it up for you and give you the links. As a matter of fact, try this for a starter. Unintended Consequences: Seven Years under the DMCA | Electronic Frontier Foundation There were opportunities for the drafters of the law to put in appropriate exception for fair use, but they refused, because ending fair use was exactly what they were after. Criminals are still going to pirate media regardless of "DRM" or whatever laws are in place. Why? Because they're CRIMINALS. They're already breaking the law, breaking one more isn't going to make a whit of difference to them. All it does, is prevent law-abiding citizens from excersizing their fair use rights.

Gee this is starting to sound really familiar. Like another debate. But THAT one is for the Pit. :D

Last edited:
So, HBO is making it to where you can't DVR HD programs now? Or are you talking about an external DVD recorder?

HBO did do that on a cable SA DVR I had for a couple of months. When I first got the DVR I could record HBO OD on the DVR. A month later the DVR wouldn't record OD at all. HBO will do the same thing when they can get the techs hooked into Dish & DirecTv.

I always could record HBO OD onto a DVD recorder, but NOT through an HDMI cable. I got a screen saying I had to use componant cables & the picture covered what was under it. I simply call it greed. I don't blame those who try to get pay services for free. I think giants like HBO are the criminals, not some guy whose getting it for free. This all is getting so expensive. My bill will be around $90/mo. & taxes when Dish tacks on the HD $20 monthly fee. Who would have thought that we could pay over $100/mo. just for TV shows & HBO? I remember when cable was $9.95/mo. & it was a hot seller. I believe that was in 1974 or so.

HDMI Port

I think the box replacement line might be long (my 211's HDMI port has not worked since last October).:eek:

Does your HDMI port still not work? I'm running a VIP611 box and my HDMI port stopped working right around the middle of October. I have a 61" RCA DLP and prior to that the HDMI worked fine. It was repaird for $600, covered by warranty, thinking it was a TV problem, but still no signal. Have you called Dish about this? They told me the port on the receiver must be bad, but I wonder if they did a software upgrade in October that kicked it out.

Is this a problem with HDCP and is that something that can be overcome by software or is it hardware related?

They told me the port on the receiver must be bad, but I wonder if they did a software upgrade in October that kicked it out.
For many months after it first started happening, DISH denied that there was a mechanical weakness in the HDMI port. They've apparently finally come around to admitting that it was a jack issue instead of a TV software issue.
Is this a problem with HDCP and is that something that can be overcome by software or is it hardware related?
Don't confuse HDCP with HDMI. Thus far HDCP is working the way it is supposed to. HDCP first showed up on the 921 receiver via its DVI interface.

If your HDMI is broken physically, HDCP probably won't work right.

Does your HDMI port still not work? I'm running a VIP611 box and my HDMI port stopped working right around the middle of October. I have a 61" RCA DLP and prior to that the HDMI worked fine. It was repaird for $600, covered by warranty, thinking it was a TV problem, but still no signal. Have you called Dish about this? They told me the port on the receiver must be bad, but I wonder if they did a software upgrade in October that kicked it out.

The HDMI jack on the Dish equipment is a surface mount component that pops off the mainboard fairly easily if you put any downforce on the jack, including the weight of the cable itself. You will need to swap out the receiver or open it up and resolder the jack. It has been done many times successfully.

Are there any good cables that arent heavy or stiff?
I said this a long time ago.... Most people's equipment sits off the ground therefore the cables will all droop or hang down. At least for the HDMI connection/cable, tie-wrap it up so that it doesn't do this.

I said this a long time ago.... Most people's equipment sits off the ground therefore the cables will all droop or hang down. At least for the HDMI connection/cable, tie-wrap it up so that it doesn't do this.

That's what I do - zipties are wonderful.

722 DVR Audio recording problems

622 to 722

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts