Bad news regarding Dish and "DRM"

Anything that keeps tension from being placed on the connector will be better than letting it hang down.

I'm not sure if the stand-offs are tall enough to do what you want though it may depend on how thin your HDMI cable is.

Judging by the sounds of Leslie Harper on todays retailer chat it sounds like in the future they may down res HD going out over component video. Only HDCP compatable digital displays will be able to output the full resolution HD.

But with this happening, I dont see it as something that Dish wants to do, its more likely that the content providers such as HBO are pushing for this technology to be put in place.

The day HBO makes Dish down res HBO to my older HDTV which does not support HDMI or HDCP is the day I cancel HBO. When that happens the only ones who lose are HBO and Dish Network as they just lost a revenu stream.

I would encourage all SatelliteGuys members to do the same when the time comes.

I'm in the same boat...my HDTV doesn't support HDMI or HDCP. The day they down-rez HBO via the component outputs is the day I drop HBO.

This whole DRM thing just chaps my hide...

I'm in the same boat...my HDTV doesn't support HDMI or HDCP. The day they down-rez HBO via the component outputs is the day I drop HBO.

This whole DRM thing just chaps my hide...

If it happens, be sure to let HBO know that they lost a customer because of their DRM.

I think your cut HBO sub will be enough to tip the company. Dish will have to write down the reason when you'll call them. If Dish forced to implement DRM by requests from content providers, then they should provide to them statistic of the type of churn and get rid of the DRM infrastructure, what case Dish to lost money.

Wonderful, what happens to those of us that have televisions that are not "compatible" with Dish receivers via HDMI? This is, of course, according to Dish.

Unfortunately, there are so many people who think they are watching HD when they are only looking at SD on their HDTV, so many people who have HD but watch it through their s-video cable or even composite.

Most people are never going to notice the downrez due to DRM and by the time enough people even care to make enough noise, it will be too late.

Unfortunately, there are so many people who think they are watching HD when they are only looking at SD on their HDTV, so many people who have HD but watch it through their s-video cable or even composite.

Most people are never going to notice the downrez due to DRM and by the time enough people even care to make enough noise, it will be too late.

Sad thing is, I've switched back and forth from 1080i to 480p and on most of the HD channels there is virtually no difference. The cynic in me says that Dish has so destroyed the HD product, that downrezzing it will make little to no difference.

i went all hdmi recently with the dg910 sony receiver. no problems so far, and DRM here i am. DRM is a real bastard, but its the way of the future. when i buy an arcade game on the xbox 360 for $10, then that xbox 360 dies and I send it in for repair, I get another one. I cant play that game that i bought unless I play connected to xbox live (which has been crapped out for the past 2 weeks). but, we must embrace what gets shoveled our way.

Sad thing is, I've switched back and forth from 1080i to 480p and on most of the HD channels there is virtually no difference. The cynic in me says that Dish has so destroyed the HD product, that downrezzing it will make little to no difference.

You may not be able to tell the difference when an HD feed is downscaled to 480p (you should be able to, but maybe not).

However, an SD feed is VERY noticeable. I can't watch football anymore on my big screen unless it is in HD. I can't believe what I have been missing for the past 3 years.... HD really is amazing, I upgraded from component to hdmi and cant really tell the difference, but like I said, the difference from SD to HD is HUGE.

We dont need to embrace it. We can all stand together and say enough is enough.

When this happens we must take action against the programmer for their actions. (remember Dish and DirecTV are being FORCED to turn on the HDCP from the programers)

If its HBO doing this, Cancel HBO and flood their phone lnes, send them emails etc. (And I am using HBO as an example, as I dont know if its HBO who will be the first to use this technology)

We need to stand together and tell these folks enough is enough.

How sad is it that one day a persons $5000 HDTV they just purchased a year or two ago gets a great 1080i signal today yet tomorrow (or whenever) they can tune to the same movie on the same channel and only get a resolution of 480p. The consumer did nothing wrong yet his $5000 HDTV is now useless for watching many of the HD channels just because some sit wants a switch turned on. Sorry folks we can not sit down and take this. Consumers have rights.

I completely agree. But, people bought BetaMax players and entire libraries of BetaMax movies too... It just died on the vine though.

It is a slippery slope we early adopters slide on. I just bought an hdmi 1.2 receiver. It's still a risk. Luckily, all the devices I currently own operate just fine on it. So I should be good to go for years.

But if you think about it, once we get a final hdmi standard set (remember dvi?) we will all be better off.

Just like going to all digital (the government is forcing that), older technology dies off.

In another thread, a member had HDMI issues and had email exchange with Dish engineering. This is a quote of their reply:

"Thank you for your email. Component cables do not have the ability to be downgraded below high definition quality due to the fact that the hardware is what makes them high definition. This cannot be changed remotely or with a software upgrade. There are no plans to reduce the quality of video provided with component cables. In fact, you can even receive a higher resolution than 720p with both types of cable. All of our HD programming is broadcast in 1080i if your television will support that."

This basically reverts the whole thread! No what is right? :confused::confused::confused:

In another thread, a member had HDMI issues and had email exchange with Dish engineering. This is a quote of their reply:

"Thank you for your email. Component cables do not have the ability to be downgraded below high definition quality due to the fact that the hardware is what makes them high definition. This cannot be changed remotely or with a software upgrade. There are no plans to reduce the quality of video provided with component cables. In fact, you can even receive a higher resolution than 720p with both types of cable. All of our HD programming is broadcast in 1080i if your television will support that."

This basically reverts the whole thread! No what is right? :confused::confused::confused:

That's bizzare. That's the exact opposite what Dish had been saying to it's technicians, and others. Plus, it makes no sense. You can absolutely send 480p over component. It's very possible to lock the component outputs at 480p for certain shows.

The thread is right, the email is wrong with a little truth sprinkled in at the end.

Component is an analog connection that is capable of conducting a signal from SD to the highest HD quality. That much is true. However, hardware can be configured by firmware to only allow 480i over an analog connection if the provider so specifies. All the HDDVD and most upconverting DVD players do this with DVDs already.

I bolded the two interesting parts.... I suspect someone in engineering would know better that Dish doesn't send "all" of their programming in 1080i and wonder who *really* responded to this e-mail.

Sorry if this has been said already but custom home theater installs very commonly use component cables, especially when its a long run done during prewire or during remodel. There is a local Company I used to work for that does very custom home theater installs, the type you see in magazines, $10,000 to $100,000 range. Most of these are done with component cable to the Plasm. What are they supposed to do, tear out the drywall and recable? Is this also being forced on cable Companies?

Brad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)