Bait and Switch for Local HD Channels???

samalex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Waco, Texas
Hello...

We've been with Dish Network for a few years now and are happy with it, and we've always subscribed to the local channels over dish even though we had to get the HD channels via the OTA tuner in our VIP 722 which hasn't been a huge issue.

I noticed yesterday though that Dish Network's website now lists our local channels are available in HD but the channels listed do not come up on our channel guide. So I called them this morning to ask why and was told I'd have to pay to have a second dish put on my house to receive the channels.

Is this the case for all HD local channels??? I figured if I was paying for the service and they advertise the awesomeness of HD channels then why would they then say we have to purchase a second dish to get them? I was told it could cost upwards of $100 or more to have the dish purchased and installed.

Now that all our local channels are broadcasting in HD and have turned off their analog signals most have boosted their signal so we can get all but one channel OTA, but it would be nice to remove the antenna if these same channels are available through Dish. But to be told we have to pay for new hardware which isn't mentioned anywhere on their website nor in the ad's they send boasting about being HD in X number of markets sounds like bait and switch to me.

Just curious if this is just the case in our area or if everyone who wants to get HD local channels has to purchase a new dish.

Take care,

Sam Alex

Usually the Dish is free with new 2 year commitment. If you already have a dish for 61.5, you can swing that dish around to pick up 129 (assuming that's the sat you need).

I;d hardly call it bait and switch. You signed on before they had HD locals, so you were never "baited"

Hello...

We've been with Dish Network for a few years now and are happy with it, and we've always subscribed to the local channels over dish even though we had to get the HD channels via the OTA tuner in our VIP 722 which hasn't been a huge issue.

I noticed yesterday though that Dish Network's website now lists our local channels are available in HD but the channels listed do not come up on our channel guide. So I called them this morning to ask why and was told I'd have to pay to have a second dish put on my house to receive the channels.

Is this the case for all HD local channels??? I figured if I was paying for the service and they advertise the awesomeness of HD channels then why would they then say we have to purchase a second dish to get them? I was told it could cost upwards of $100 or more to have the dish purchased and installed.

Now that all our local channels are broadcasting in HD and have turned off their analog signals most have boosted their signal so we can get all but one channel OTA, but it would be nice to remove the antenna if these same channels are available through Dish. But to be told we have to pay for new hardware which isn't mentioned anywhere on their website nor in the ad's they send boasting about being HD in X number of markets sounds like bait and switch to me.

Just curious if this is just the case in our area or if everyone who wants to get HD local channels has to purchase a new dish.

Take care,

Sam Alex

I was told that the new dish would be free if you signed up for an extended contract. I am getting most of my HD channels on 61.5, but the new Indianapolis HD locals will be on Ciel-2 at 129 (or so I'm told). The tech couldn't lock onto the old 129 satellite when I first got HD in 2006. Time will tell what's going to happen, but I know for sure if I can't get Indianapolis HD locals from Dish I will go elsewhere. OTA where I live is hit and miss. One minute I have 100% signal on CBS and the next 0%. Very annonying to say the least. The others are in the 68-78% range.

They should come move your dish, or install a second dish for free if you sign a new 2-year commitment. That's what they did for me.

First, you didn't get a 1000.2 dish when you had the 722 installed? That's standard fare for HD programming on the old Western Arc. Second, I wouldn't use the satellite tuner for getting OTA locals; the satellite signal takes less space on the DVR disk because the signal is lossy; even 10' away from my 37" screen, I can tell the difference between a SAT local and OTA local channel...both on the 722.
Now that all our local channels are broadcasting in HD and have turned off their analog signals most have boosted their signal so we can get all but one channel OTA
Lucky dog. Kansas City is still flooded with analog signals and the digital stuff isn't full power yet. :(

They should come move your dish, or install a second dish for free if you sign a new 2-year commitment. That's what they did for me.

I was told I did not have to sign up for a new 2 year agreement and that the install would be free.

I had them replace my existing dish with an eastern arc dish so that I could get the locals in HD.

They didn't charge me anything however they could have signed my up for another 2 year agreement and lied to me about that.

I was told that the new dish would be free if you signed up for an extended contract. I am getting most of my HD channels on 61.5, but the new Indianapolis HD locals will be on Ciel-2 at 129 (or so I'm told). The tech couldn't lock onto the old 129 satellite when I first got HD in 2006. Time will tell what's going to happen, but I know for sure if I can't get Indianapolis HD locals from Dish I will go elsewhere. OTA where I live is hit and miss. One minute I have 100% signal on CBS and the next 0%. Very annonying to say the least. The others are in the 68-78% range.
I am in the same boat as you. Is there a spot within 200' on your property you could sink a post/pole with LOS to 129? On my property, there isn't. So, because I want to finally have the LiLs, I will be switching to DirecTV next week. Their HD sat is higher elevation than 110 and 119.

Why would you want to get rid of your antenna? You have 3 tuners in your 722 thus allowing you to record 3 programs at once. If you drop OTA you can only record 2 programs at once.

Keeping OTA allows more flexibility in your recording and viewing.

Just a thought ...

Why would you want to get rid of your antenna? You have 3 tuners in your 722 thus allowing you to record 3 programs at once. If you drop OTA you can only record 2 programs at once.

Keeping OTA allows more flexibility in your recording and viewing.

Just a thought ...
Who are you talking to?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts