Bait and Switch

IrishBrewer

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 22, 2008
A friend of mine recently upgraded to a Dish HD package to take adavantage of his HD TV. As a loyal customer he was unable to take advantage of any of the offers being laid out for new customers so he had to fork out $100 for a HD receiver.

After reviewing the choices available for HD packages on Dish's website, he opted for a VIP222k reciever. He was at work while the installation was being done (wife was at home) so it wasn't until the installer left that he realized that they didn't give him a VIP222k but rather a refurbished VIP222.

It should be noted that the dish website no longer shows the older VIP222 as a hardware choice for HD programming. While the two receivers share the same core features, there are some new features in the 222k that he was interested in such as the learning remotes and the ability to watch OTA on TV2.

He called a Dish CSR (and also spoke with his manager and tried the online chat) and didn't get anywhere. They claimed that they make no guarantees about what type of equipment they will use for the installation. I wouldn't have a problem with that as long as what they do send you meets your requirements in terms of the number of TVs and it was one of the advertised choices listed on their site. But to send out an older, refurbished model that has fewer features amounts to a bait and switch tactic.

What would you do? He is considering filing a complaint with the state AG.

The equipment is all leased, so you get what they give you. It wasn't like he purchased it. The only way to be sure you get the receiver you want is to BUY it at a much higher cost.

Even so, if I lease a car, I know what I am getting because I am agreeing to lease a specific model. With Dish all you have to go on is what is shown on their site and they do not show the older receivers so anyone reasonable would assume you are going to get one of the models listed.

The state AG office has a consumer protection division that deals with stuff like this all the time. Some time ago my wife bought a camera online that was advertised as new and they sent a refurb. I called the company about this and they were pretty beligerant. I filed an online complaint with the AG and shortly thereafter got a very apologetic call from the vendor.

Yes, it is small potatoes in the grand scheme of things but my point is that they do follow up if you have what they see as a legit complaint.

Don't go directly through Dish. Go to a retailer. You have to have a retailer somewhere close to you. Much easier to get want you want from a retailer than Dish directly.

The state AG office has a consumer protection division that deals with stuff like this all the time. Some time ago my wife bought a camera online that was advertised as new and they sent a refurb. I called the company about this and they were pretty beligerant. I filed an online complaint with the AG and shortly thereafter got a very apologetic call from the vendor.

Yes, it is small potatoes in the grand scheme of things but my point is that they do follow up if you have what they see as a legit complaint.

You should read your user agreement, they didn't do anything wrong here.

Scott,

Thanks for your replies and I apologize if I'm being dense but I don't see anything in the agreement that would permit them to advertise one model and provide you with another. Perhaps I missed something.

The user agreement does say that the equipment they provide can be refurbished which I wouldn't have a problem with as long as it is in good condition and fully functional. However, I do think they should add a footnote on their website informing customers that this is a possibility.

A friend of mine recently upgraded to a Dish HD package to take adavantage of his HD TV. As a loyal customer he was unable to take advantage of any of the offers being laid out for new customers so he had to fork out $100 for a HD receiver.

After reviewing the choices available for HD packages on Dish's website, he opted for a VIP222k reciever. He was at work while the installation was being done (wife was at home) so it wasn't until the installer left that he realized that they didn't give him a VIP222k but rather a refurbished VIP222.

It should be noted that the dish website no longer shows the older VIP222 as a hardware choice for HD programming. While the two receivers share the same core features, there are some new features in the 222k that he was interested in such as the learning remotes and the ability to watch OTA on TV2.

He called a Dish CSR (and also spoke with his manager and tried the online chat) and didn't get anywhere. They claimed that they make no guarantees about what type of equipment they will use for the installation. I wouldn't have a problem with that as long as what they do send you meets your requirements in terms of the number of TVs and it was one of the advertised choices listed on their site. But to send out an older, refurbished model that has fewer features amounts to a bait and switch tactic.

What would you do? He is considering filing a complaint with the state AG.
He could of bought a VIP222k for $119 or less online and he would of owned the unit too. It's only a few dollars more to buy one and you don't have to pay sales tax each month on a leased receiver. If you buy a receiver Dish doesn't make you sign up for another 24 months either.

I just bought a used 211K from Satellite Guys sponsor DishStore for $90. When I did an online chat to activate it, DISH tried to talk me into a "free" upgrade that required a $95 tech visit. And of course that receiver would be leased. To top it off it'd add a 2 year commitment to DISH.

Sometimes it's cheaper to buy than take DISH up on their "free" offers. ;)

He could of bought a VIP222k for $119 or less online and he would of owned the unit too. It's only a few dollars more to buy one and you don't have to pay sales tax each month on a leased receiver. If you buy a receiver Dish doesn't make you sign up for another 24 months either.

Wow, I didn't realize you could get them for that cheap and I'm sure he didn't either because I'm sure he would have ponied up the extra $20 to own it and not have a contract extension. Dish wanted $400 to purchase the 222k.

At any rate, it's too late for him to buy it now because he already went the lease route.

I guess my point is that it doesn't seem right that they can give you something other than what they are advertising on their site. For example, what if they came out with a new line of HD receivers that all had slingbox capability and functional USB ports that allowed external HDs to be added to give unlimited DVR storage capability and this new technology was enough to convince you to upgrade to a HD package/equipment. If what Scott says is right, it would be perfectly fine for them to lease you an old refurbished unit with none of these features even if their website only advertised the new line of HD receivers.

So to those saying this is ok. If I agree to pay $200 to upgrade my 622 and order a 922 are you saying I am just S.O.L. if they bring out a used 722that is not even a k model.

Actually it happened about 12-18 months ago when Dish renamed the receivers.

No more ViP622/722, etc.

When you order a receiver now you get a dual HD DVR or a single HD receiver, or and enhanced whacha-ma-call-it, etc.

No more specific receivers in the computer system, you are guaranteed the functionality, not the model.

Yes, I'm afraid it is too late for your friend, but in the future always verify when the tech calls that he has the equipment you want and ordered on the truck. If not, cancel the install and reschedule it for a later time when you can get the equipment you want.

As far as your friend is concerned, I have heard some have had success with the Better Business Bureau. He might also try ceo@dishnetwork.com, be sure to write a polite email stating the problem.

Ed

That's not bait and switch they gave you vip222. The one you have will do OTA and as far as the remotes buy replacement remotes of the ones you want.

I wonder if the same people defending Dish would act this way if they ordered a 2-room HD-DVR tomorrow and instead of getting a 722k, Dish supplies a refurbished 622. After all, both will record HD and feed 2 rooms...

I wonder if the same people defending Dish would act this way if they ordered a 2-room HD-DVR tomorrow and instead of getting a 722k, Dish supplies a refurbished 622. After all, both will record HD and feed 2 rooms...

+2 :up

Well said

Agree with the last few posts. That OTA tuner module in the k does something very important, at least for me. I didn't realize it when I bought mine, but a 722 cannot access the OTA tuner from the TV2 output, while the 722k with tuner module can. I was dismayed when I discovered this missing feature. Plus I'm pretty sure it's crippled that way on purpose to avoid the TV1 user and the TV2 user fighting over a single OTA tuner. :rant:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts