Bally Sports RSNs Are Reportedly Preparing For Bankruptcy

I personally don't expect the fixed wireless play by cellular providers to be a huge success in the long term. My parents tried Verizon's, and, even with "full signal" at their house, they only got about 50Mb down compared to the standard 300Mb from Spectrum (of which they only see about 110Mb). They cancelled after a couple weeks of sluggish Internet. 5G really only provides enough speed with mmWave frequencies which don't propagate far and don't pass through walls. Compared to a hardwired connection, it is going to suck in a majority of locations, especially for any household with children.

I've had T-Mobile 5G home internet for over a year now, it's faster, more reliable and half the price of Cox. I got it because Cox kept dropping out during the day, had a service call and they tried to tell me it was the coax inside the house that I had replaced during a remodel in 2015. Switched and couldn't be happier.

Missed the answer to: In 2024 ____________ will be different and therefore people who currently have decided not be in the small streaming only minority, will choose to be, and thus make streaming profitable.

No one is "trolling" you or anyone else. You, and others, post a lot of really poorly thought out opinions, mostly based on a poor grasp of the entertainment industry. Pointing that out is not "trolling". It is contributing to the community. I have learned a LOT from other posters here over the years, mainly because I lack an agenda and do not ignore facts that would disprove said agenda. You might want to try that.

I didn't answer it, because I'm not the one predicting it (as I've said before, but you seem to have this blind spot that develops when objectively proven wrong). I'm streaming only and saving at least $1000+ a year (something you said is only pennies to you, must be nice) for several years at this point.

But please, continue to pretend to know more than the companies themselves forecasting it, you'll run the mods out of patience with the trolling at some point. Speaking of, you skipped over their reply. You wade in to these discussions and make them confrontational while contributing nothing of substance to them.

Your turn. You constantly call out Bruce, but still present nothing demonstrating that the traditional businesses will not fundamentally change or cease to exist in the relatively near future. In fact you claim 'everyone who wants streaming has it' ... which is as false of a statement as you've ever made on any topic given the ebb and flow of subscriber numbers. Looking forward to this answer, be careful, you might prove everything Bruce has ever posted right in the process - or just make up more lies to insult us. You already consistently do one of those two things.

Reactions: AZ.
I've had T-Mobile 5G home internet for over a year now, it's faster, more reliable and half the price of Cox. I got it because Cox kept dropping out during the day, had a service call and they tried to tell me it was the coax inside the house that I had replaced during a remodel in 2015. Switched and couldn't be happier.
Well, I am glad it is working for you, for sure, but I am skeptical of how successful it will be in a broad sense. It is hard for me to get how companies that are constantly needing additional spectrum think they have enough of the right spectrum to roll out home internet to millions of people.

news-

Now, the Sports Business Journal is reporting that Bally Sports must pay 14 NBA teams to keep their rights. These payments are expected to happen on October 1st or November 1st, 2023. According to the report, the average fee owed to each team is about $40 million. If Bally Sports wants to keep all of the teams, it will have to pay about $560 million. (It is being reported that the Pelicans have already been paid, leaving 14 teams still to be paid.)

The NBA is a very different play than MLB. NBA is FAR less regional. MLB teams, claim (and, yes, over-claim) vast regions where they are the "local team". But these have some basis in fact and reason. The NBA does as well, but vastly more people follow the NBA on a national basis, following its stars and its nationalized teams.

Pick a place outside of a retirement community or an exploding new suburb in a successful state, and I will be able to determine which baseball team a fan follows with 90% or better accuracy just with a map. I would be lucky to get 5% on the NBA.

The NBA is a very different play than MLB. NBA is FAR less regional. MLB teams, claim (and, yes, over-claim) vast regions where they are the "local team". But these have some basis in fact and reason. The NBA does as well, but vastly more people follow the NBA on a national basis, following its stars and its nationalized teams.

Pick a place outside of a retirement community or an exploding new suburb in a successful state, and I will be able to determine which baseball team a fan follows with 90% or better accuracy just with a map. I would be lucky to get 5% on the NBA.
What does that have to do with if Diamond does not pay the NBA teams, then they do not have enough content to justify the high year round per sub fee.

What a perfect storm for Diamond, owes high amounts to the teams, about out of cash since Sinclair claimed $1.5 billion for their own.

Contracts are up with DirecTV/Comcast in October, after the money is due to the NBA teams, then Charter in February.

The providers are going to offer a lower per sub fee, knowing even if the RSN refuses, they are done for either way, then the teams will be on a UHF type station anyways, a station already under a contract with the provider.

What a perfect storm for Diamond, owes high amounts to the teams, about out of cash since Sinclair claimed $1.5 billion for their own.
Writing about this, some news popped out yesterday, if Diamond does not get this money back, unlikely they have enough cash to pay upcoming rights agreements to NBA and NHL Teams.

What does that have to do with if Diamond does not pay the NBA teams, then they do not have enough content to justify the high year round per sub fee.
What it "has to do" with it is that the value to the consumer of the local baseball team, even if he is two or even three DMAs away from the actual city it plays in is 100s of times more than the value of the local NBA team, or, in most of the country, the local NHL team.

Since the RSN, inside the consumer protecting bundle, is in the base package, there is no real need to "justify" the price on a month by month basis.

Put another way, a Bally channel w/o baseball is more or less worthless. A Bally channel w/o hockey or basketball is still a wonderful thing. Based on the ratings, not my opinion of particular sports.

• Haha
Reactions: meStevo
Since the RSN, inside the consumer protecting bundle, is in the base package, there is no real need to "justify" the price on a month by month basis.
The Bundle has only fleeced people of their hard earned money for a bunch of content.

And continues to do so with even higher prices and much less new content.
Put another way, a Bally channel w/o baseball is more or less worthless. A Bally channel w/o hockey or basketball is still a wonderful thing. Based on the ratings, not my opinion of particular sports.
But the RSN needs that high per sub fee every month, all 12, doubtful providers will pay it when Baseball season is over and there is no content from NBA/NHL Teams.

Then of course advertising, hard to get commercials with no content from the teams.

If there are agreements between Diamond and DirecTV/Comcast/Charter, there will be caveats if the RSN loses rights.

For example, DirecTV pays $8 per sub fee all year, but the RSN losses the rights to the NBA team, but holds onto the NHL team, DirecTV would want a reduction of, for example only, $4.

DirecTV has reported to the Bankruptcy Court, that Diamond has not returned any money for the San Diego RSN, because of that, contracts will be very favorable to the providers, if not, no renewal which is 50/50 as of now anyways.

The Bundle has only fleeced people of their hard earned money for a bunch of content.
And that is it. People enjoying content they want is being "fleeced" to you.

We get it.

It is just that most consumers want the protection of the bundle. Because we want the content. Content that streaming will never provide when the time comes.

Enjoy the Extraordinary Attorney Woo.

It is just that most consumers want the protection of the bundle. Because we want the content. Content that streaming will never provide when the time comes.
Ummm, soon nope, based on the rate of losses, by the end of 2024, there will be more Households without a paid Live TV service then with.

And that includes adding in the streaming Live TV services with the Traditional Services.

We are already at more people do not have Cable and Satellite then do.

For example total Cable is 35,891,952

Satellite is 19,251,000 ( which includes unverse and the internet version of DirecTV)

That is only, roughly, 55 million Households out of 130 Million in the United States

We get it.

Then why are they leaving this "protection" in droves? :oldlaugh

Reactions: Mr Tony and Bobby

We get it.

Protection of the bundle? What does that even mean? Being forced to pay for 4 ESPN channels, 3 FX channels, 3 Disney channels all carrying crap on them?

If that is what people want, why have then been dumping cable and satellite by the millions for well over a decade?
You mean the minority. Yes, given an option, there are always some cheap people out there who will do without.

Linear television remains the choice for most people. That simple.

You mean the minority. Yes, given an option, there are always some cheap people out there who will do without.

In one more year, the minority become the majority, cannot defeat the trends and the math with your hopes and dreams.

As I wrote before, Cable and Satellite had 100 Million subscribers in 2015, now down to 55 Million in just 8 years.

Most households ( out of 130 million, that means almost 75 million) do not have Cable/Satellite then do have it, that shows streaming is already in the majority.

Last edited:

1000000416.jpg

Reactions: navychop and Bruce
If that is what people want, why have then been dumping cable and satellite by the millions for well over a decade?

Most people have replaced analog TVs with TVs with digital tuners. Peak cable coincided with the digital transition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linear TV, yes. Cable and Satellite, no, which is what I posted about. Unless you are calling OTA "the bundle" now too.