Bally’s Sports

Yep, a traditional package method where customers are forced to pay for channels they will never watch,

And thus protecting the consumer and filling the system with CONTENT. Every person pays a fair price for all that content. Understanding that in an anti-consumer ALC system, most content simply would never be produced, as the number of people willing to pay full price for any one thing is so small that content would never exist in the first place.

I like content.

And thus protecting the consumer and filling the system with CONTENT. Every person pays a fair price for all that content. Understanding that in an anti-consumer ALC system, most content simply would never be produced, as the number of people willing to pay full price for any one thing is so small that content would never exist in the first place.

I like content.

Since the same content is available in other ways and at less cost to the customer, the price you pay is to make it more convenient. So it is a big no from me for ‘traditional’ in this case.

Reactions: John2021
Since the same content is available in other ways and at less cost to the customer, the price you pay is to make it more convenient. So it is a big no from me for ‘traditional’ in this case.
What?

Can you bottom feed some reruns and remixes of the wonderful content that the wonderful fat bundle system has produced, on things like STIRR or Pluto? Yes.

For now.

When you have used all of that up?

No $$ to make more. Because the $$ needed to produce any one type of content cannot be produced if only the small %ages that actually want it are charged full price.

So no more content.

I like content.

What?

Can you bottom feed some reruns and remixes of the wonderful content that the wonderful fat bundle system has produced, on things like STIRR or Pluto? Yes.

For now.

When you have used all of that up?

No $$ to make more. Because the $$ needed to produce any one type of content cannot be produced if only the small %ages that actually want it are charged full price.

So no more content.

I like content.

I like good content which is sparse on traditional live tv these days.
And you really ought to read up on the financials of the free w/ads streamers, seems they are doing quite well. But I wasn’t thinking about them when I made my post. I was thinking more about the pay VOD services. Plenty of originals there.

And you really ought to read up on the financials of the free w/ads streamers, seems they are doing quite well.
I'm sure they are. Army-Navy stores did really well in 46 and 47. Then they ran out of surplus.

Certainly you can squeeze the last drop out of a lemon for a long time. Somebody watches Andy Grifith to this day. But its not the same.
But I wasn’t thinking about them when I made my post. I was thinking more about the pay VOD services. Plenty of originals there.

Really? All I see as "originals" are filmed shows, mostly dramas. To use the word from the 60s and 70s, mini-series and "made for TV" movies. All Netflix, Prime, Apple, et al, are is HBO, c. 1995. Just more expensive. I don't see the broadbrush and plethora of all types
of CONTENT that the fat bundle provides.

Not everybody wants to watch things like Fargo, or Ozark or Narcos. Lots more diverse country.

And, since we are talking about Bally's, how do I get my local teams on Netflix?

I'm sure they are. Army-Navy stores did really well in 46 and 47. Then they ran out of surplus.

Certainly you can squeeze the last drop out of a lemon for a long time. Somebody watches Andy Grifith to this day. But its not the same.

Really? All I see as "originals" are filmed shows, mostly dramas. To use the word from the 60s and 70s, mini-series and "made for TV" movies. All Netflix, Prime, Apple, et al, are is HBO, c. 1995. Just more expensive. I don't see the broadbrush and plethora of all types
of CONTENT that the fat bundle provides.

Not everybody wants to watch things like Fargo, or Ozark or Narcos. Lots more diverse country.

And, since we are talking about Bally's, how do I get my local teams on Netflix?

Sports is the gaping hole with streaming. I get all the sports I want with an antenna and OTA DVR.

As to what to watch on the various VOD streamers. Tons of stuff, comedies, drama, sci-fi, practically all genres of shows. And I very much disagree with your ‘made for TV’ movie crap. Sure some are, others are not at all.

I get it, you don’t want to stream. That’s fine with me and if it works for you, great! But this past month I’ve had YouTubeTV live streaming and watched practically nothing on it.

Sports is the gaping hole with streaming. I get all the sports I want with an antenna and OTA DVR.

As to what to watch on the various VOD streamers. Tons of stuff, comedies, drama, sci-fi, practically all genres of shows. And I very much disagree with your ‘made for TV’ movie crap. Sure some are, others are not at all.

I get it, you don’t want to stream. That’s fine with me and if it works for you, great! But this past month I’ve had YouTubeTV live streaming and watched practically nothing on it.
?????????

As for your OTA comment .... for Sports.
Granted you can get the Main games that are on the Big 4 .... quite another story with those on an ESPN/CBSports/FS1 any of the other channels that alot of the sport have been migrating to of late .

Reactions: SamCdbs and AZ.
Exactly. For the purposes of this thread (which is titled "Bally's Sports") streaming just doesn't feed the bulldog. Just a very few weekend games on the "Big 4" networks. Among the CONTENT I want is the full range of sports, provided by my Bally's local, the ESPNs, the Foxes, CBSSN, USA (soon), TBS and TNT, et al.

Can't get that with an antenna. Trying to enjoy life, not save three cents on a spool of thread. If $$ are the concern, yes, I get just watching stuff like Pluto or STIRR.

Reactions: Jimbo
?????????

As for your OTA comment .... for Sports.
Granted you can get the Main games that are on the Big 4 .... quite another story with those on an ESPN/CBSports/FS1 any of the other channels that alot of the sport have been migrating to of late .

I don’t disagree with that at all, for those that want/need all those sports. I’m not one of them.

Exactly. For the purposes of this thread (which is titled "Bally's Sports") streaming just doesn't feed the bulldog. Just a very few weekend games on the "Big 4" networks. Among the CONTENT I want is the full range of sports, provided by my Bally's local, the ESPNs, the Foxes, CBSSN, USA (soon), TBS and TNT, et al.

Can't get that with an antenna. Trying to enjoy life, not save three cents on a spool of thread. If $$ are the concern, yes, I get just watching stuff like Pluto or STIRR.

While $$ are always a concern, it isn’t necessarily the driving factor. For about the same cost I could get all those with Mediacom cable but would lose the superb PQ I get with streaming and DirecTV satellite would be a bit more.

And you don’t have to try to make the absurd comment about the free w/ads services since there is a middle ground that can save some money compared to most of the live streamers though not with much in the way of sports.

But coming back a bit to Bally sports. Sinclair has a big financial problem these days. Other than cable and DirecTV satellite or streaming, most others have dropped them. So how are they going to sell a standalone app/subscription at a price that will be attractive? A year ago they were talking $23/month for that, more recently it appears that $39/month will be needed by them. IMO, that will be one tough sale.

And while all this is going on cable/sat keeps losing subscribers as the price keeps going up to get the content that fewer people seem to want.

But coming back a bit to Bally sports. Sinclair has a big financial problem these days. Other than cable and DirecTV satellite or streaming, most others have dropped them. So how are they going to sell a standalone app/subscription at a price that will be attractive? A year ago they were talking $23/month for that, more recently it appears that $39/month will be needed by them. IMO, that will be one tough sale.

I agree Sinclair has problems but I think I've figured out how they plan to get around the "MLB/NBA/NHL say Sinclair doesn't have streaming rights" thing while still selling direct to consumer.

Sinclair is big into ATSC 3.0, and the standard includes support for encrypted paid channels. Take a look at where they've been putting in ATSC 3.0 and where their RSN markets are... They can sell people a small ATSC 3.0 receiver that decrypts the signal and bundle it with a cheap antenna like Directv did with the LCC. They still have that pricing problem, but it allows them to go DTC in an end run around the professional leagues who specifically retained streaming rights thinking that was the only way other than cable/satellite to reach people.

but it allows them to go DTC in an end run around the professional leagues who specifically retained streaming rights thinking that was the only way other than cable/satellite to reach people.
But doing that may end with MFN kicking in with cable/satellite systems saying now we have the right to sell the RSN in an per channel way and it will go back to the old days of PAY OTA tv where the PAY OTA RSN channles where on the few cable systems that where in play at the time.

But doing that may end with MFN kicking in with cable/satellite systems saying now we have the right to sell the RSN in an per channel way and it will go back to the old days of PAY OTA tv where the PAY OTA RSN channles where on the few cable systems that where in play at the time.

Depends on their contracts, and they might be able to find some way around it - perhaps by bundling other ATSC 3.0 channels along with it so it is the equivalent of a very skinny "cable" package.

I'm sure they've thought this through.

They also have the leverage of telling cable/satellite providers "if you want to renew the locals we own in that market, you have to carry our RSN the way we want".

They also have the leverage of telling cable/satellite providers "if you want to renew the locals we own in that market, you have to carry our RSN the way we want".
That did not work with Dish, just signed a new deal, locals only.

Last edited:

Depends on the situation. When Fox controlled YES they were in a year long dispute with Comcast. Fox forced Comcast to bundle YES with Fox News or not get either. That got a deal done. Now I don't know if that would work with say the Reds.

Dish has shown they are willing to lose locals for months if necessary to get what they want. No cable provider or Directv has shown a willingness to go that far, so they wouldn't have as much leverage with Sinclair.

There's also no way to know what Dish is paying for those locals, they might be paying more than anyone else which could make up some of the loss from not carrying RSNs.

Reactions: John2021
Dish has shown they are willing to lose locals for months if necessary to get what they want. No cable provider or Directv has shown a willingness to go that far, so they wouldn't have as much leverage with Sinclair.

There's also no way to know what Dish is paying for those locals, they might be paying more than anyone else which could make up some of the loss from not carrying RSNs.
They just jacked prices $5

Dish didn't lose a day of Sinclair channels in the latest negotiations, Sinclair can't afford it. Sinclair messed up with their plans on a streaming/gambling service. It appears they had no idea what they were doing. And hoping for an ATSC 3.0 solution, they are bleeding cash now with all their debt. ATSC 3.0 is too far down the road for widespread adoption to allow them to offer OTA packaging.

Dish didn't lose a day of Sinclair channels in the latest negotiations, Sinclair can't afford it. Sinclair messed up with their plans on a streaming/gambling service. It appears they had no idea what they were doing. And hoping for an ATSC 3.0 solution, they are bleeding cash now with all their debt. ATSC 3.0 is too far down the road for widespread adoption to allow them to offer OTA packaging.

It doesn't matter to them if no one has ATSC 3.0 equipment. They can ship a little ATSC 3.0 dongle and cheap antenna to people who subscribe to their DTC RSN scheme, similar to what Directv did with the LCC.

Since they'd be encrypting the RSN channel(s) a TV with an ATSC 3.0 input wouldn't be useful anyway.