Bandwidth Available to DirecTV for HD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

slacker9876

Professional Amatuer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 20, 2004
Spokane, WA
Okay, I thought I knew much more than I did (apparently). For DTV stations you can broadcast 5 SD stations or 1 HD station in your allocated frequency, this is at about 15-20Mbps, correct? Looking at DirecTV6 it currently is running 13 “channels” now do they not have the capacity to juice this up to around 50 HD channels?

I guess to be more "jepoardy" like I'll put it in the form of a question. How much satellite bandwidth is required for HD content? How many HD channels can you brodcast off a single transponder? How many transponders are available on a standard satellite configuration?

slacker9876 said:
Okay, I thought I knew much more than I did (apparently). For DTV stations you can broadcast 5 SD stations or 1 HD station in your allocated frequency
Actually you can get 10 -14 Standard Def Digital Channels in the space of 1 Analog channel.

With the technology today you can get 3 HD Channels to fit in the space of 1 analog channel without no loss of picture quality.

Thanks for the quick response Scott, I love the board you have here!

Wow! I didn't know they could do that much, that is sweet! Sounds like a good enough reason to consider terrestial programming options!

Do you know where I can get the info I am looking for on the satellites?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts