Bandwidth

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Alvarez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
Brownsburg, IN
Everyone says D* is tapped for bandwidth for adding much more HD content and I know D* has more channels than V* as far as overall channels they offer (SD and HD). Voom had so many HD channels including TNTHD, BravoHD, east and west for HBO showtime TMC, Max, etc... all in HD and Starz. plus they offered quite a few SD channels as well...

Now I know they were missing quite a few SD channels that D* has and a HUGE one being the Fox Sports RSN's.

How doe's V* have all this bandwidth that D* doesn't with only 1 satelite and where is all D*'s bandwidth going... does all the SD channels eat up tons of bandwidth?

***Disclaimer***

I am not trying to start a V* vs D* debate... I was a Voom customer and now a D* customer (mainly watch NFL Network and missed Best Damn Sports Show bigtime... plus gotta have my Sunday Ticket).... this is just an honest question.

Locals aren't the only thing... since they use spots, locals are only using 6 transponders at 101, and four at 119 (plus a little bit more at 101 for NY/LY majors, plus one other market). But DirecTV also has a bunch of Spanish channels, some Asian channels, and some other SD content that Voom doesn't carry. Plus, Voom has a higher power satellite, using a newer modulation scheme, and they are pushing their error correction harder (apparently at the slight expense of rain fade resistance). Also, if you do the math, Voom is putting more channels per bandwidth than DirecTV. Whether or not this negatively affects PQ, I can't say. The reports on this are conflicting. Some say one is better, some say the other. Others say they are about the same.

Good point Darin I forgot about all those other channels and of course the infamous shopping channels

I had Voom back in May and canceled. The picture quality of the SD channels was pretty sorry with sparklies in alot of them. I didn't get them for the SD channels though. The HD stuff was ok.

Lem52

Cross threaded

directvrep said:
Contrary to popular belief... we have PLENTY of bandwidth to spare with the new sat that we just put in position. Much less... we're repositioning 1 into a new orbital position ( 72.5* ) which will continue to broadcast for new local markets that are scheduled to launch.
Yes, that is a position that DTV currently does not broadcast from.... yes it is Canadian o&o, however DTV will install a 2nd 18 inch sat dish and any needed equipment in order for current customers to receive locals from that position.
Which leaves us with the new KA satellites that were launched for The DirecTV group for another project 7 months ago. Since that project was scrapped.... we have 4 more unaccounted for broadcasting stations. :shocked Anyone see where I am going with this??
If not... have someone explain it to you... I can't say anything that hasn't been said publicly before.

I just posted this in another thread about new HD channels.

Seawaves said:
Don't get Voom, I have it and DTV and DTV is much better and things will be even on HD soon enough.

Reread my original post... I never said I was getting voom...

I had V* I got it disconnected... I am not getting D* again.

Status
Please reply by conversation.