Bankers Predicting Sale of DTV

Your idea is better and were always willing to do it in your conduit, provided your there when we are.

Otherwise across the lawn and buried by the contractors wehn your name comes up ... Fwiw, I always tried to run the property line when ever possible ... How the contractor buries is is up to them, they are suppose to run it how we lay it, some do, some don't.

They never come any bury cable.

My girlfriend got Dish 15 years ago, they ran it across the lawn and never came back.

The grass literally grew over the cable and it’s been like that ever since.

Comcast never comes back to bury their lines also.

I get it you want the installer in and out, but your Just asking for problems leaving a wire exposed across the ground.

If I pulled that crap, second the customer accidentally cuts it, I’m expected to go back and fix it for free.

Reactions: navychop

My girlfriend got Dish 15 years ago, they ran it across the lawn and never came back.

I get it you want the installer in and out, but your Just asking for problems leaving a wire exposed across the ground.

If I pulled that crap, second the customer accidentally cuts it, I’m expected to go back and fix it for free.

Dish put up an NPRM on my lawn for service a number of years ago, then never came back to put up a pole and permanent mount. I called in and they sent somebody to do it; a few months later the lawn crew knocked it down. Should have just left the NPRM and cinder blocks where they were; no mowers would hit that.

When I lived in a townhouse development, and was on the board for my own protection, I found MANY violations where the cableco (Cox) never came back to bury the orange cable. It was only (and IF then) buried where people might mow. Common, unmaintained, areas behind townhouses next to woods, NEVER got buried. Some folks just lifted the cable along their fence line, sometimes splicing in additional footage.

Board was uninterested in pushing the matter. Only wanted to go after soft targets. One guy with a clear safety violation wasn’t touched, due to legal difficulties in the past.

I’ll give them one thing- they slapped a lien on a guy who for years refused to pay his (near trivial) dues. He tried to transfer it quietly to a relative, as a transfer but not “sale.” We got wind of it and ensured the County didn’t overlook it. No transfer/sale until past dues etc were paid. Won one.

Correct, as soon as its cut, we are back out there ...
A typical bury happens within 2-3 weeks, unless its winter time.

Most lawn cutting companies are lazy when they KNOW the line ius there and cut it anyways.

If it wasn't so complicated to bill a 3rd party, many more would be billed when that happens.

IF no one came out to bury the cable, then it got lost in the system, call in and inquire about it.

Or the guy forgot to put it in when closing the job.

Thing is, when copper POTS or coaxial cable gets cut it's a easy self fix, but when fiber gets cut, unless you own a fuser, you're at the mercy of the provider to fix it.

For this reason alone, when the cable company finally gets full duplex DOCSIS 3.1 going with symmetric plans I might decide to go with cable instead of fiber.

Thing is, when copper POTS or coaxial cable gets cut it's a easy self fix, but when fiber gets cut, unless you own a fuser, you're at the mercy of the provider to fix it.

For this reason alone, when the cable company finally gets full duplex DOCSIS 3.1 going with symmetric plans I might decide to go with cable instead of fiber.

Well gee, you could just jump Amazon and grab you own fuser... ;)

Well gee, you could just jump Amazon and grab you own fuser... ;)

Dead link

I honestly dont think any fiber provider is going to allow a customer to work on their fiber...the fiber would not be in your house

I honestly dont think any fiber provider is going to allow a customer to work on their fiber...the fiber would not be in your house

Um what? I have fiber right here under my desk...

Fiber.png

The outside on the other side of the wall it runs all around the wall of the house until it goes into the ground and across the yard then up a utility pole.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
The fiber stops at a device that converts light to electricity....sometimes called a ONT..that aint no ONT under your desk...A ONT looks like Nid but about twice as big...it has a laser in it too

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The fiber stops at a device that converts light to electricity....sometimes called a ONT..that aint no ONT under your desk...A ONT looks like Nid but about twice as big...it has a laser in it too

That looks like a GPON modem - even has the 'laser' symbol on it next to what looks like an SC connector on the left. Not sure why the pigtail to the device underneath unless it has the outside fiber running into it with no connector on the other side? Anyway, pretty sure he DOES have fiber in his home.

I would not want a solution like that, because they basically have to run an uncut fiber all the way from the pole under the ground through a wall and into his house. Yuck.

So long as the fiber is terminated on the side of the house it isn't an issue if it is buried properly or aerial. Yes you can fix coax or twisted pair if it breaks but I've never once had to repair a coax or phone line running to my house so I'm not sure that's a big issue unless you KNOW it was installed improperly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This is the ONT under my desk. Get your head out of the Verizon world, things have changed.

ONT.jpg

Even this ONT will be obsolete soon. AT&T is going to start issuing modems with a fiber port on them and supply a 10ft fiber cable to connect it to the jack you see my current ONT connected to in the pic I posted earlier.

That looks like a GPON modem - even has the 'laser' symbol on it next to what looks like an SC connector on the left. Not sure why the pigtail to the device underneath unless it has the outside fiber running into it with no connector on the other side? Anyway, pretty sure he DOES have fiber in his home.

It's just a dumb ONT/MediaConverter not a modem. I am forced to use AT&T's modem/router between it and my router but luckily it has public IP pass-though.

I would not want a solution like that, because they basically have to run an uncut fiber all the way from the pole under the ground through a wall and into his house. Yuck.

Yep, that's exactly what they did.

Reactions: whitewolf8214

So long as the fiber is terminated on the side of the house it isn't an issue if it is buried properly or aerial. Yes you can fix coax or twisted pair if it breaks but I've never once had to repair a coax or phone line running to my house so I'm not sure that's a big issue unless you KNOW it was installed improperly.
You are correct ...
However, I have seen MANY people (not lately mind you) that have had thier underground cable cut and they splice it back together to get it to work if possible so they can get back in service until we can get out there to properly fix it ...
Usually its when the customer themselves cut it while digging or planting plants or that type of thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts