baseball question

adam612

Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
Before I left cable and switched to the Dish in July, I called Dish several times to confirm some things. One issue was whether or not I (a central NJ resident) would be able to watch Mets games. I was repeatedly told that if I signed up for America's Top 60 plus, it included MSG and Fox Sports NY as my local sports networks, so I would be good to go.

Imagine my shock, when on the day of the install, there was an afternoon game on FSNY that was blacked out! After several phone calls to Dish, I was finally told the truth: anyone in the 08___ zip codes (all of central NJ) could get FSNY and MSG... but not the Mets games. Which means that people a half-hour north, south, east or west of me aren't blacked out. But I am.

They suggested Extra Innings, but warned me my local games would be blacked out. Not to mention I refused to shell out any more money. I tried to cancel but was told I'd be billed several hundred bucks for the install.

My ONE saving grace this whole time has been that the Mets (and now Jets) are due to start their own network in 06, SportsNet NY. I naively hoped that through this I'd be able to see the Mets again next April.

Now I'm hearing that there's no guarantee that Dish will carry it, and that since TimeWarner and Comcast co-own the network, chances are slim.

I called Dish this morning and all they could tell me was they'd take the request for a new channel from me. Otherwise they knew nothing.

Anyone know anything about this network? Anyone else in the same zipcode catch-22?

Thanks

I'm in central NJ as well. Zip 08853, and I get the Mets games. I understand that towns to the south of me are in the Philly DMA and they are blacked out

Being the huge Mets fan that I am. Dish Network with eye carry the new Mets network or DirecTV here I come. They can carry or not carry a lot of channels, and that is fine with me. However, I will not do without my Met games. I will give them until mid-March to pick up the channel or I will drop Dish and go to DirecTV, as I am sure that DirecTV will carry the channel.

As a fellow Mets fan, I hope they pickup the Mets new network, but I doubt they will...they never worked out anything with YES network either.

Good luck in your pursuit, though. I've never lived anywhere near New York, so I'm used to not seeing them much. For me, Dish actually lets me see MORE Mets games than I ever have, since they carry WPIX as a superstation. At least I have been able to see the extra handful that they have carried till now.

Now...if we can just make a run at those damn Braves next year!

adam612 said:
Before I left cable and switched to the Dish in July, I called Dish several times to confirm some things. One issue was whether or not I (a central NJ resident) would be able to watch Mets games. I was repeatedly told that if I signed up for America's Top 60 plus, it included MSG and Fox Sports NY as my local sports networks, so I would be good to go.

Imagine my shock, when on the day of the install, there was an afternoon game on FSNY that was blacked out! After several phone calls to Dish, I was finally told the truth: anyone in the 08___ zip codes (all of central NJ) could get FSNY and MSG... but not the Mets games. Which means that people a half-hour north, south, east or west of me aren't blacked out. But I am.

They suggested Extra Innings, but warned me my local games would be blacked out. Not to mention I refused to shell out any more money. I tried to cancel but was told I'd be billed several hundred bucks for the install.

My ONE saving grace this whole time has been that the Mets (and now Jets) are due to start their own network in 06, SportsNet NY. I naively hoped that through this I'd be able to see the Mets again next April.

Now I'm hearing that there's no guarantee that Dish will carry it, and that since TimeWarner and Comcast co-own the network, chances are slim.

I called Dish this morning and all they could tell me was they'd take the request for a new channel from me. Otherwise they knew nothing.

Anyone know anything about this network? Anyone else in the same zipcode catch-22?

Thanks
Adam I feel your pain, I live in upstate NY and could never get Mets on MSG as E* signed a limited contract for baseball. So I am hoping E* will get the new Mets station. You may have to cancel Dish when your contract is fulfilled and get Direct.

I haven't heard anything about D* or E* signing an agreement for this new station. Remember, this is a channel co-owned by TW and Comcast and they are under no obligation to distribute this channel to DBS systems. There is a possibility that this will be a cable only network just like CSN Philadelphia.

If it is offered to DBS systems, I pretty sure E* will carry it as even Charlie wouldn't write off the whole NY baseball market by not carrying YES and this new Mets Network.

jmeluni said:
I haven't heard anything about D* or E* signing an agreement for this new station. Remember, this is a channel co-owned by TW and Comcast and they are under no obligation to distribute this channel to DBS systems. There is a possibility that this will be a cable only network just like CSN Philadelphia.

If it is offered to DBS systems, I pretty sure E* will carry it as even Charlie wouldn't write off the whole NY baseball market by not carrying YES and this new Mets Network.

I read that satbiznews.com that the channel will be offered to satellite companies. With YES on DirecTV I do not think this channel could be a cable exclusive. It is just too competitive between the Mets and Yankees that the Mets could shut out of satellite completely.

Of course, another way to look at it is the fact the E* and D* are always tit for tat. (ex. one gets Sirius, the other goes and gets XM). Since YES is on D* and wouldnt work with Charlie, perhaps that gives Charlie enough reason to pickup the Mets station! :D

I live in an area where the home teams for satellite are the Yankees, Mets, Phillies, and Pirates. Dish cannot give us the Phillies and won't give us the Yankees. We may not get the Mets, and we have to have the Multi-sports package to get the lowly Pirates.

I am not a fan of any of those teams, and I will order the MLB EI package again so I could watch the Orioles and Dodgers, and a few other teams I enjoy watching. I am more hopeful that MASN games will be available on Dish Network because the Orioles will likely end up there in 2007.

If anyone thinks this lack of baseball doesn't impact on Dish customers in an area, I spent a week counting the types of dishes in the area. There were 175 DTV sats and only 44 DN sats in the area. (Yes, obviously I need a hobby. I know I can't be sane.) The reason I believe it is partly over baseball is that most of the new customers of both services are relatively new customers. Three years ago, there would only be about 1/4 of that number of dishes. Several DTV people also told me it was because of the Yankees that they went with DTV.

I just hope that the Mets station will be on Dish. I think it will. I just think it makes sense for Dish to keep at least the Mets fans happy. DTV will pick it up in a heartbeat.

When the Chicago Comcast Sportsnet came out last year, DirecTV put it on immediately. Dish Network waited and missed the entire Bulls (NBA) season, and would have missed the Black Hawks season had there been one. The finally put it on 6 months later in time for baseball season. The bottom line is Dish Network is a tougher negotiator than DirecTV, and is not afraid to block out a channel from its customers. DirecTV is more customer friendly.

They could put it on in time for the Mets season, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting. If they do not announce a carriage agreement by mid-March I am going to DirecTV. I want my Mets channel. For me, it is a must carry channel. There are other channels I would like, but would stay around anyway, but the Mets channel is a must.

Charlie has been making a run at giving people the football channels that they've been asking for, for a very long time. Maybe he will do the same for baseball.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)