Basic HD Questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sori4mvp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
I'm kind of new to the whole HD thing and one of my questions is this, why for example on MTV when I'm watching Rob and Big on the HD MTV is the picture like in a box? It's got black bars on both sides and the top and bottom? Looks like I'm watching the program in a box? I mean it's clear and all, but that is kind of annoying.

Then I notice the Pistons/Nets game is in standard format with black bars on each side but not across the top. I know these are probably stupid questions, but I don't have much HD experience.

Not every program on an "HD chnl" will be wide screen; they are 4x3 so when you watch on a WS display you are being pillarboxed to maintain the original aspect ratio. Tusly some WS programs will not be exactly 16x9 aspect and will have bars at the top & bottom; this is letterboxed.

Thanks man, just curious as to why it was different on some channels.

Think of of it like this:

When you rented a Widescreen movie on DVD and watched it on your old SD TV you had black bars at the bottom and top. (The wife hated that). Now that you have a widescreen TV the fullscreen shows/movies will have black bars on the sides. The only way for a win/win is to watch a widescreen show on a widescreen TV or watch a full screen show on a SD TV.

You might want to check if you can zoom in on the image with aspect settings on your tv, i don't know if it would be distorted or anything. This i only recommend if the program is widescreen, Top and bottom black bars and sides.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts