Basic splitting question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fe0013

Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
Hi all, I'm new to Direct TV and I have a pretty basic question:
Can I split the RG6 cable coming from the LNB into my house and send it to two different receivers? If yes, what equipment/hardware will I need?
Thanks
(I know that I could bring in a second line from a different LNB, but would rather not if I can avoid it.)

No, you must use s multi-switch and run all the LNB lines.

Or get a SWM setup which of course costs more money but worth it in my opinion. SWM only needs 1 line into the home connected to a DirecTV approved splitter, and then 1 line to each receiver (even with DVR's).

If you don't get a SWM setup, you will need 4 lines into the home connected to a multiswitch. Depending on your reciever type, you will then either need 1-2 lines run to each. DVR's need 2 to take advantage of all the features, standard receivers need only 1.

SWM is Single Wire Multiswitch. You only need one line into your home from the dish which connects to a Power Inserter (gets power to the lnb) which in turn connects to an approved DirecTV splitter. From the splitter you only need 1 line going to each receiver (even DVR's).

This is new technology and isn't being used everywhere yet, only in select markets. This should be out next year. Current users wanting the SWM can get the setup online from sponsor sites and ebay. Just search for SWM and you'll be overwhelmed.

I have SWM LNB and highly recommend it. Works great.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Is it normal for DirectTV...

Transfer video to PC?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)