Battlefield 4

I'm withholding judgement until the game comes out. While I don't see this happening with DICE, Aliens: Colonial Marines has shown us to be wary of demos.

Yeah I don't see much point in preordering games anymore unless they give you something you actually want for doing it. If they don't I will always wait for reviews. Borderlands 2 gave you an extra character class if you preordered. That was pretty cool. Halo 4 and Gears of War Judgment gave you a couple skins for your multiplayer character. That does absolutely nothing for me.

Now, I almost preordered Battlefield 4 this morning because if you order it from Origin for PC or consoles they are including Battlefield Premium right now. I love playing Battlefield 3 and I am one of the people that bought Premium for an extra $50 because that is one of the few games that I regularly play multiplayer online. Also, unlike Aliens: CM this is a follow up to a very popular franchise. I just don't see them changing the formula enough to ruin it.

The reason I held off is because this is the micro-transaction loving EA we are talking about and so far they have given 0 details on what premium will include this time around. If it is the same $50 value it was for Battlefield 3 that includes all the DLC add-ons released steadily over 2 years this is one game where the pre-order is 100% worth it. The thing that made me hesitate is that I just can't see a company like EA giving away that much content for free. It really makes me question what premium means for Battlefield 4. Right now I'm just waiting to hear a few more details before I pull the trigger but I can see this only being offered for a short amount of time.

Here is the preorder page for those interested in checking it out. They don't have a pre-order option listed for next gen consoles yet but I can't imagine that Battlefield 4 won't come out on those consoles as well. Maybe premium won't be included for free on the new consoles. I am getting this one on PC so that won't affect my decision.

http://store.origin.com/store?Actio...4_Web_Hero_PreOrder&pbPage=battlefield4_en_US

Yeah Preordering ain't worth it anymore. Hell I've waited nearly 3 years for Bioshock Infinite to come out and yet I still don't have it because none of the preorders looked more appealing than "Wait a few weeks and then it'll go on sale at a cheaper price." Yes many places had a number of offers but none of them seemed very enticing. Amazon had a $20 rebate but it was only good for other 2K games, which I don't see myself ordering anytime soon. Others had free games thrown in but I didn't feel like getting copies of the previous Bioshock games, and I guess I was a big dummy for buying the new Xcom when it went down to $16 on GMG 2 weeks prior.

Yeah Preordering ain't worth it anymore. Hell I've waited nearly 3 years for Bioshock Infinite to come out and yet I still don't have it because none of the preorders looked more appealing than "Wait a few weeks and then it'll go on sale at a cheaper price." Yes many places had a number of offers but none of them seemed very enticing. Amazon had a $20 rebate but it was only good for other 2K games, which I don't see myself ordering anytime soon. Others had free games thrown in but I didn't feel like getting copies of the previous Bioshock games, and I guess I was a big dummy for buying the new Xcom when it went down to $16 on GMG 2 weeks prior.

I am very excited for Infinite myself. I got Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider free from AMD through steam when I bought my graphics card a few weeks ago. I had it all pre-loaded and ready to go when it released but I haven't started it yet. With so many AAA games coming out lately I have gotten into the habit of starting all of them as soon as I get them. Then the next big game comes out and I start that one before I finish the last one. This takes me out of the rhythm of the game and it takes me months to finally finish any of them if I ever do at all.

The completionist in me hates nothing worse than buying a good game and never finishing it. I even have a hard time playing a sequel if I haven't played the rest of the games in the franchise first. As much as I want to fire up Infinite I'm trying to hold off until I can finish the campaign in Gears and Tomb Raider.

I preordered it on Origin though I'm a little confused about what exactly the BF4 Premium add-on is. If they are charging people an extra $20 to get the all the add-ons instead of $50 that's great. But I could see this really only including one or two add-ons and any more than that would be extra. We'll see how this shakes out. But I'm all in because the $110 I've spent on BF3 has turned into the best money I've ever spent. Over the last 18 months I've sunk close to 150 hours into that game.

I preordered it on Origin though I'm a little confused about what exactly the BF4 Premium add-on is. If they are charging people an extra $20 to get the all the add-ons instead of $50 that's great. But I could see this really only including one or two add-ons and any more than that would be extra. We'll see how this shakes out. But I'm all in because the $110 I've spent on BF3 has turned into the best money I've ever spent. Over the last 18 months I've sunk close to 150 hours into that game.

Right. I still can't decide if this is really cool of EA or if it is a trick and premium doesn't mean the same thing as it used to. Knowing EA's recent history it seems too good to be true but if it is the same thing as BF3's Premium it would be a great deal. $50 worth of free DLC just for preordering is a no brainer if you already know you like the Battlefield formula.

What system are you playing on? For $10 more they have the Digital Deluxe version on PC. That includes premium, beta access, and bonus content. I'm hoping this bonus content is in the form of behind the scenes footage or dog tags or something and not additional DLC not included in premium. I'm going with the standard PC version that just includes premium.

Edit: after watching the game play video and checking out amazon's preorder page I noticed that both places say preorder and receive a premium expansion pack. They don't say receive BF4 premium or receive the premium expansion pack. To me the wording makes it sound like their will be more than one premium expansion. In other words this is probably just 1 free DLC instead of BF3 premium that included all the DLC.

I'm sure I will still end up getting the game and may even preorder later after more details surface but it looks like I'm going to hold out a little while.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts