BB@ Home disc By Mail Ending September 19th

Yeah I would rather see them Move the HD Channels that are in with Blockbuster now put like in a HD extra pack like they use to charge maybe $5 instead of $10. Netflix to me is a waste they have nothing but Old movies on there and for $7 a month to me it's not justified I rather pay $7 to see new releases or have the extra HD Channels.

If you (as in anyone) want to ignore the fact that Netflix still has the disc by mail rental option, it's your loss. Or even have that negative attitude "it's so last century" renting them by mail... still your loss.

I think it's great. Can't beat the PQ from physical blu-rays and the availability of titles to rent all the time...vs the here today gone tomorrow with streaming. It sure beats having to drive to Redbox, pick it up, and then have to drive back to it and return it asap to avoid being charged another day, or possibly waiting in a line or behind someone taking their good old time just to return a movie.

If you (as in anyone) want to ignore the fact that Netflix still has the disc by mail rental option, it's your loss. Or even have that negative attitude "it's so last century" renting them by mail... still your loss.

I think it's great. Can't beat the PQ from physical blu-rays and the availability of titles to rent all the time...vs the here today gone tomorrow with streaming. It sure beats having to drive to Redbox, pick it up, and then have to drive back to it and return it asap to avoid being charged another day, or possibly waiting in a line or behind someone taking their good old time just to return a movie.

But without already being a member, you can't search what Netflix has to offer. At least, I couldn't figure out how.

I'm in full agreement about the superiority of optical media.

Well, they DID say "....and expanding On-Demand and streaming options...."

We'll see. Do you think they'll do that "soon?" ;)

<sigh>

I remember them making that very same claim,when they acquired bb.I never did see much more on demand content.In fact I saw less due to the AMC dispute.When they finally settled,the on demand selection wasn't near as robust.

Anyway,I doubt anything changes,except no more discs.

Im a bit surprised that they decided to drop this program. When we where selling Dish, we sold alot of customers the DVD by mail service, but I know there was not alot of customers who where actually using it.

I think part of the problem is that with all the disclosures, nobody actually took the time to explain to the customer that they could actually request DVD's in the mail. Lots of customers thought it was for the on demand stuff and for the extra few channels they got.

Even as a dish customer myself, who was paying the $10 per month, I never used it.

Sad so see it go

I prefer netflix Blu-Ray disks... but I pay for the $10 blockbuster @home just for the HD channels like EPIX and others vs just EPIX for $7, makes no sense not to add the other$3 for the many other channels. My only grip here is they drop the disks that come with that $10 fee but are not dropping the fee so I may call and raise hell to get some discounts, to me it is only fair.

Again, they did not increase the fee when they added it, so it makes no sense to decrease it when the freebie goes away. I'm not happy it's leaving, but I grant them that.

To think, I did not value the mail service when it was added. Now, it's the only thing in the pack worth paying for. I'll get by will lower PQ and AQ via free Amazon streaming.
Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Searching for SG-1 and Stargate yields zip point squat at Redbox. And Netflix doesn't even seem to allow searching/browsing without an account. I, for one, would be really reluctant to sign up for something, even a free trial, without knowing if they carried what I was interested in- Stargates, British comedies, etc.

I think Netflix has Stargate SG-1 available only on DVD, not Blu-ray or streaming:

http://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/Stargate-SG-1/70155599?trkid=1660

Edited to add: If you put the pointer over the cover art, it'll say what format Netflix has it available in.

Last edited:
Here's a free month of Netflix DVD service. It is $8 a month after your free trial. They never make you wait for your next DVD. https://dvd.netflix.com/

And if you don't want to risk the free month membership, just send your search requests to me. I rejoined Netflix a month or two ago, due to BB@home being so painfully slow (< 1/mo, and zero new within a year releases).

Times are tough when you can't even give away a free trial. Some people just like to complain, I think.

Well, it is seriously annoying that Neflix no longer allows you to search their inventory without being a member. That has got to be driving away business for no apparent reason. What are they afraid of? Competition from BB@home? :eek:

I think Netflix has Stargate SG-1 available only on DVD, not Blu-ray or streaming:

http://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/Stargate-SG-1/70155599?trkid=1660

Edited to add: If you put the pointer over the cover art, it'll say what format Netflix has it available in.

That's because Stargate SG-1 is not available on Blu-Ray and may never be. Netflix used to have it available on streaming, but that license went to Amazon. My son did pick-up the entire series from Amazon when it was on sale for $55 a few weeks ago. He also picked-up Atlantis on Blu-Ray for $55 during that same sale.

I predicted that Blockbuster would be gone by this year and that the service would be in name only to DISH subs. Now it is just a matter of time till all the rest of the physical stores are shuttered. I will stand by my original prediction and say by the end of this year they will all be gone, or by first quarter of 2014 at the latest. The service was poor and the channels in the pack are not worth the $10.00 a month in my opinion. I rarely watched any of them except for Epix and they re run those so many times you can easily get bored with those channels in a month or less. My local Blockbuster shut down 6 months ago. I hadn't even gone to it in like 10 years.

R.I.P. Blockbuster

So since they are eliminating the disk piece does that mean the distribution centers are closing? Or are those centers also used for the store BB disk programs as well.

I do wonder why they are stopping the disk piece I am guessing there is a cost savings to them?

Last edited:
Well, it is seriously annoying that Neflix no longer allows you to search their inventory without being a member. That has got to be driving away business for no apparent reason.
It's been like that for years. They counter it with the free trial.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

I have NOT received an email from Dish about BB@H yet. Why is Dish only sending the email to a few. I am signed up for all email notice and press releases.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)