BB@Home survey from Dish

Mike_H

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Twin Cities, MN
Yesterday I got a survey from Dish asking for some feedback in exchange for an entry to win a Kindle Fire. So sure, took it.

Turns out it was full of questions about Block Buster at Home. Looks like they are playing with the idea of pulling the in store exchange and the video by mail and trying to find the price point for the new service that has only the streaming and video channels.

In the survey it was asking for a sense of what price would be too high, a great deal, or just right for this changed service. Got the impression their aiming for $7/month.

Anyone else get the survey?

Our local blockbuster has improved as they have added Hopper displays and a few tv's I would hope they keep the stores open, And that store does generate quite a bit of business. I think people still like to walk around and pick there movie. I have one very close to where I live and I think by being able to exchange in store it ads value to that package

This would really hurt the remaining stores. Having an opportunity to exchange discs is the only reason I even go to a BBV store anymore. I do get extra movies from the store and if the disc portion of BB@Home disappears, I would just re-sign with Netflix and go to the local Family Video for b&m rentals. The reason being is that Family Video has about twice as many discs in-store, discs are priced lower and they offer 5-day rentals.

I haven't gotten a survey, but I would be more than pissed, if Dish drops the mail to home disc service. I hate there streaming service.

Scott, got any idea about what is happening here?

I have gotten to know the manager at my local BV pretty well ( we both go to the same gym) and he really thinks they are about to close the rest of the stores and that he will be out of a job, they are not getting all the new releases in ( for example they still do not have Dredd in yet) and he has been getting a lot of the new releases at Wal Mart ( buying them at retail then putting them out on the shelves as rentals), he had to do that with both Frankinweenie and Hit and Run.

I do watch the channel linked up with BB@home, but the in store exchange makes it a such a nice deal. But I know that many don't have a blockbuster open near them and have read that the service can lag for some

And though I cant believe I am linking this to "old fashion" but the store near me has good traffic I think people like to walk around and physically touch and look at the movies in store sometimes instead of red box

For me, the disc-by-mail and extra channel part of the program is where the value is. There aren't any stores near my location any more, and I haven't found much use for the download service; selection is limited and quality ranges from kinda-OK to unwatchable.

If they were to pull the plug on the disc-by-mail portion, the package value drops dramatically. I'd have to start renting movies via Netflix or RedBox, so that's an extra monthly expense.

Movieplex, Starz Encore and Encore Suspense could have value, if they were upgraded to HD. Universal HD's movies are chopped, edited, and filled with commercials. Sony Movie Channel's selections are crumby, and they also have breaks in their movies. IndiePlex HD and Retroplex HD are OK, but are really lacking in titles. MGM HD is also OK, but their movies are also broken up with a few commercials. The rest of them are of no value to me whatsoever, and many of them don't have any connection to the Blockbuster brand at all (World Fishing Network? LOGO? Crime and Investigation?).

The only channels I would consider paying for are Epix and HDNet Movies. Are they worth $7 per month?

For me, the disc-by-mail and extra channel part of the program is where the value is. There aren't any stores near my location any more, and I haven't found much use for the download service; selection is limited and quality ranges from kinda-OK to unwatchable.

If they were to pull the plug on the disc-by-mail portion, the package value drops dramatically. I'd have to start renting movies via Netflix or RedBox, so that's an extra monthly expense.

Movieplex, Starz Encore and Encore Suspense could have value, if they were upgraded to HD. Universal HD's movies are chopped, edited, and filled with commercials. Sony Movie Channel's selections are crumby, and they also have breaks in their movies. IndiePlex HD and Retroplex HD are OK, but are really lacking in titles. MGM HD is also OK, but their movies are also broken up with a few commercials. The rest of them are of no value to me whatsoever, and many of them don't have any connection to the Blockbuster brand at all (World Fishing Network? LOGO? Crime and Investigation?).

The only channels I would consider paying for are Epix and HDNet Movies. Are they worth $7 per month?
i have no BB store close to me either. all 3 that were close to me were closed. i like the movies by mail and epix. those are the 2 reasons i have BB@home.

Dish does offer Epix alone for $7, so they must think so.

For me the disc service might be the MVP of the package. My wife loves Pixl and Hallmark Movie Channel, but we could sub to the Heartland Package to get those. And honestly, I would miss HDNet Movies.

Second for me is the streaming, especially the series available from Starz/Encore. I dl them to my 722K and then record them to my dvd recorders hard drive and then burn them to dvd's. I get two episodes per disc and have both seasons of Boss, the first and third seasons of Spartacus, Torchwood, Pillars of the Earth, Camelot, and Titanic. Great to take on the road or watch on the tv that isn't connected to Dish.

I really like Epix too and have burned plenty of their movies. But that stuff eventually filters down to Netflix/Amazon Prime (I subscribe to both).

I punched in my zip code this morning in my queue and my store did not come up. I guess I will drive by and see if they are already closed.

I punched in my zip code this morning in my queue and my store did not come up. I guess I will drive by and see if they are already closed.

My only local BB starts their going out of business sale on Feb.14, back to Netflix and 28 days delay...sigh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)