BBC News

Status
Please reply by conversation.

srenker

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Tacoma, WA
As of this morning, BBC America has stopped airing their morning block of BBC World News. GRRRRRR!
I am now sorry I switched from Comcast; at least I could get CNN International on it.

Totally sucks. Worst part of it was there was no advanced warning, and the only media coverage I could find explaining it was from the UK Guardian. Network AM shows only care about entertainment and cross-promoting their primetime lineup, and cable AM shows are all geared to headlines, commentary and socio-/political issues.

BBC World News was also the only place to get AM news on int'l markets and sports such as soccer, rugby & cricket.

So disappointed...

The BBCAmerica comments page isn't working, but I have the VP of Programming's email address. Let me know if it's Kosher to post it if you'd like to express your sentiments to him in a firm but polite manner....

-J

PS -- At least it's baseball season...

I managed to get through on the comments page. Here's what I got back:
Dear Stephen,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. Please know that our commitment to providing viewers with access to the BBC’s unrivalled international news coverage is a top priority for BBC America. Since launching "BBC World News America" in October 2007, the BBC's first U.S. facing newscast, audience figures have steadily grown for both the 7 and 10pm week night broadcasts. At the same time our morning news audience has declined.

This has been a tough decision but, with finite resources, we have decided to cease airing news on BBC America 6am-9am and divert resources to the evening news programs which benefit substantially more viewers. BBC America will also continue to cover major breaking news and significant live events as they occur.

We thank you again for your comments.

Regards,
Gina
Viewer Relations

Blah blah blah whatever. I don't get how they think they're going to get better ad revenue from the same tired old Cash in the Attics and Bargain Hunts.

I was really sorry to hear this. Now more than ever we need the 24/7 BBC World News channel added to the Directv lineup. The BBC News channel is distributed by Discovery and couldn't be that difficult for them to add. Directv has been sadly lacking in world news coverage for quite a long time, I'm sorry to say. I've been bugging them for years to add BBC News but the only thing I get in response is inane, "pre-recorded" replies.

I managed to get through on the comments page. Here's what I got back:

Blah blah blah whatever. I don't get how they think they're going to get better ad revenue from the same tired old Cash in the Attics and Bargain Hunts.
I got the same response typical canned message.

However, they carry an absolutely hilarious show called Top Gear. If your a car guy.

And even that isn't unadulterated. Top Gear on BBC America is chopped up and missing parts that you get in the UK.

You know, I'd be willing to pay for English language international programming on the same scale as the Chinese, Korean, etc. packages. Give me a 10-12 channel package of BBC, Sky, CBC, etc. for $20 or so and I'd snap it up in a minute.

You know, I'd be willing to pay for English language international programming on the same scale as the Chinese, Korean, etc. packages. Give me a 10-12 channel package of BBC, Sky, CBC, etc. for $20 or so and I'd snap it up in a minute.

$20. might be a bit steep...but I've been saying the same thing for years also. There's all kinds of English language programming from many parts of the world to which we should have access. The more international programming the better, to help us get over our xenophobia. :)

And even that isn't unadulterated. Top Gear on BBC America is chopped up and missing parts that you get in the UK.

$10 maybe. I'd be all over that one.

D* seems to think international programming is only for recent immigrants who haven't bothered to learn American yet. Dish has French and German programming that I would be interested in, but I don't care for a lot of other things about their service and company.

$20. might be a bit steep...but I've been saying the same thing for years also. There's all kinds of English language programming from many parts of the world to which we should have access. The more international programming the better, to help us get over our xenophobia. :)

Well, I just threw that out there as an example. It'd have to be packaged as a separate package though, because the vast majority of subs probably wouldn't want to subsidize it. However, I would love to pick it up on the same basis as the other foreign-language channels.

:) Today I received the following e-mail:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding BBC World News. Over the past few weeks, we've noted the response from our dedicated viewers to the removal of the morning news block. We understand that many of you wish to start your day with the BBC's newscast and we appreciate your loyalty. We're happy to report that after careful review, we've reached a solution that will enable us to reinstate a morning feed - though in a slightly different time slot which is more viable from a business perspective. Beginning Monday, May 18th BBC World News will air weekday mornings from 5-8am EST. We hope you enjoy it.

While I used to watch it until 9:00, maybe this will get me out of the house and off to work earlier. Good job everyone who wrote in!

And if anyone from DIRECTV is reading, I will take this gladly, but it would be even better to have the BBC World News Channel on our lineup.

:) Today I received the following e-mail:

While I used to watch it until 9:00, maybe this will get me out of the house and off to work earlier. Good job everyone who wrote in!

And if anyone from DIRECTV is reading, I will take this gladly, but it would be even better to have the BBC World News Channel on our lineup.

2-5 am in the west :( Time for a new series link in the DVR.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)