BBC / SkySport / EuroSport in N. America?

Killer B

Original poster
May 16, 2009
CO, USA
Hello all -

Am not a total n00b to satellite in general (had a 10' back in the late 80's) but have been MIA for almost 2 decades now.... so, please forgive me for not being all caught up on things....

That said, I'm on the hunt for a way to somehow receive/source the BBC feed from N. America - I know based on my searches and reviewing other posts and "rules" that hacks and such are a no-no ... and honestly, that is NOT what I'm looking for... I just know that "somehow" BBC Sport gets beamed to some facilities on the east coast in the US for network uplink to other stations... and am trying to sort that bit out... legally.

This is not for personal use - it's for a Network Company we've set up... But BBC has been less than accommodating in trying to help us... so thought I'd turn here... and run it by you lot :)

Wasn't sure if I should post here, or in the FTA section - but thought I'd give it a go...

Like the site and hopefully someone can shed some light as to how all this works bouncing from Sat to Sat (???)

Cheers,

KB

What does your "Network Company" do?

To be legal, you need to have a deal in place with the programmer to redistribute their content or to have access to it. They own it and will probably want to be paid for it. There may be other parties that already have the US rights to it.

Some programming is sent via fiber. Some is sent via satellite scrambled. The programmer would let you know how to get it once you have a deal with them to access.

What does your "Network Company" do?

To be legal, you need to have a deal in place with the programmer to redistribute their content or to have access to it. They own it and will probably want to be paid for it. There may be other parties that already have the US rights to it.

Some programming is sent via fiber. Some is sent via satellite scrambled. The programmer would let you know how to get it once you have a deal with them to access.

The nature of my partnership, company, business plan and NDA's prevent me from going into more detail... but was basically asking if the BBC beams here to the States or not... I know they laid fibre between Europe and the USA awhile ago... so that very well could be the case... Don't know really - as everyone is very tight-lipped.

We *are* the "provider"... so whilst I appreciate your feedback and input and suggestions, it goes beyond your train of thought.. Not being critical at all... just saying, think bigger... that's all I can really say.

Cheers,

KB

I have a good friend that is employed by the BBC and made him aware of your post.

He told me that the BBC's programming content is available worldwide to parties that have contracts with them to legally receive/redistribute it. Any unauthorized redistribution or transmission no matter what transport scheme (satellite/internet/etc.) is illegal.

If you are the "provider" of North American content for the BBC as you say, then you would already know what you are asking.

Are you trying to redistribute the BBC's programming over the internet or via satellite without their permission?

I have a good friend that is employed by the BBC and made him aware of your post.

He told me that the BBC's programming content is available worldwide to parties that have contracts with them to legally receive/redistribute it. Any unauthorized redistribution or transmission no matter what transport scheme (satellite/internet/etc.) is illegal.

If you are the "provider" of North American content for the BBC as you say, then you would already know what you are asking.

Are you trying to redistribute the BBC's programming over the internet or via satellite without their permission?

Rob - I came here b/c I've been out of the Satellite world/loop for 2 decades and to ask the "experts" here if BBC and EuroSport actually send signals to N. America via satellite, or via fibre - yet you persist with this witch hunt approach trying to corner me into saying something that has absolutely nothing to do with my original question, or our stated goals here...

We are in the research and marketing phases of our project - looking to take-over a failing/ailing cable network channel - That is all I can say - and all I will say - There is nothing illegal or wrong with that. Period.

Obviously I am not fully educated in these matters, and until I arrive at Portland Place in London and have direct conversations with them - I know little (technically) about how they provide content here... Excuse me for thinking I could do some preliminary legwork here on your site...

You're in Colorado - I'm in Colorado - Was hoping that would get you to be more amicable about my question... but guess that carries little weight here - Either way, I'm sorry to have bothered you and taken up your time... Your assumptions are entirely off the rails...

Regards,

KB

PS: I'd be more than happy to speak with your "acquaintance" at the BBC - if you care to PM me his contact info to discuss this question.

Their content on thoses channels is already licensed to other providers here in the US and Canada. FSC, Setanta, ESPN, ABC, FOX. And some streams via internet too for a price, or free.

Rob - I came here b/c I've been out of the Satellite world/loop for 2 decades and to ask the "experts" here if BBC and EuroSport actually send signals to N. America via satellite, or via fibre - yet you persist with this witch hunt approach trying to corner me into saying something that has absolutely nothing to do with my original question, or our stated goals here...

I'm sorry but I just tried to answer your questions with the little information you had posted. They do but it is only to authorized parties as I stated earlier. If you want specific details, you need to contact the BBC directly since that information is probably between any parties involved. I posted what they sent me and posted it here for you to try to help you.

We are in the research and marketing phases of our project - looking to take-over a failing/ailing cable network channel - That is all I can say - and all I will say - There is nothing illegal or wrong with that. Period.

I never said there was. I said it was if you were distributing programming without permission. And since you then claimed to be their provider but didn't know how to receive their programming, it sounded a little fishy. Sorry if I assumed anything illegal.

Obviously I am not fully educated in these matters, and until I arrive at Portland Place in London and have direct conversations with them - I know little (technically) about how they provide content here... Excuse me for thinking I could do some preliminary legwork here on your site...

You're in Colorado - I'm in Colorado - Was hoping that would get you to be more amicable about my question... but guess that carries little weight here - Either way, I'm sorry to have bothered you and taken up your time... Your assumptions are entirely off the rails...

Regards,

KB

PS: I'd be more than happy to speak with your "acquaintance" at the BBC - if you care to PM me his contact info to discuss this question.

I'm sorry but I was just trying to help you and even contacted a good friend to get the info I posted for you. Maybe a short phone call to the BBC will answer more of your questions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts