BBC World coming to 58W, 127W

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Martyn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
Annandale, VA
BBC World expanding distribution on Intelsat. Would be lovely if this is FTA, but I hold no hope.

Intelsat’s Premier Video Neighborhoods to Distribute BBC World News Channel to Millions of Viewers around the Globe

Luxembourg, 14 April 2016

Intelsat S.A. (NYSE: I), operator of the world’s first Globalized Network, powered by its leading satellite backbone, announced today that BBC World News, a leading global news TV channel, has renewed and expanded its contract for use of multiple Intelsat premier video neighborhoods and the IntelsatOne® terrestrial network to distribute high-quality standard definition (SD) and high definition (HD) content across several continents.

Under the multi-year agreement, BBC World News will be delivered to millions of viewers in the Americas and Asia via four of Intelsat’s premier video neighborhoods:
  • Galaxy 13 at 127? West – a North America cable distribution neighborhood utilized by the world’s top programmers to deliver premium HD channels
  • Intelsat 19 at 166? East – a Pacific Rim cable distribution neighborhood and South Pacific Direct-to-Home (DTH) platform
  • Intelsat 20 at 68.5? East – a cable distribution and DTH neighborhood and transcontinental hotspot from Europe to East Asia, and the number one video neighborhood serving India
  • Intelsat 21 at 302? East – a Latin America cable distribution neighborhood with the highest cable head-end penetration on the continent
“Information is critical to any community and by leveraging Intelsat’s globalized network, we’re able to reliably deliver high-quality content that keeps millions of viewers up to date on the latest events happening around the world,” said Karen Schmidt, Intelsat’s Vice President of Marketing. “Intelsat’s strong regional neighborhoods and the IntelsatOne terrestrial network provide our customers with flexible, cost-effective and secure, distribution solutions, enabling them to efficiently expand their coverage and reach.”

The IntelsatOne terrestrial network, featuring more than 36,000 miles of leased fiber and eight strategically located teleports around the globe, will provide uplink services for the distribution network. IntelsatOne will also provide dual and geographically diverse fiber routing from the BBC World News playout facilities.

“The world’s top programmers require access to the highest levels of cable and DTH penetration around the globe,” said Kurt Riegelman, Intelsat’s SVP, Sales and Marketing. “Our leading video neighborhoods in the Americas and Asia will allow clients such as the BBC to reach more viewers in more markets and offer them the chance to grow their businesses.”

I posted too soon. I see it's already on 58W and 127W, scrambled, and this is just a renewal. Oh well. This is what happens when you post too early in the morning.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Back when BBC World first started on 127 they where ITC for a few years, along with Euronews and AJE on the same or a nearby satellite. The good old days, imho.

Back when BBC World first started on 127 they where ITC for a few years, along with Euronews and AJE on the same or a nearby satellite. The good old days, imho.

BBC World is about the only channel I would pay for. I'm moving and have decided to not get pay TV because I can't justify getting the super-duper pack, or whatever the $80 one is called, just for one channel. And I can't get it any other way. Sigh.

I hope AJE comes back FTA after teasing us on 97W last month.

Reactions: lost_mesa
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts