BBC World News

Troch77

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2015
Southern PA
Just in case anyone didn't notice, You can now add the News Pack ($10)to America's Top 250, which you all know, includes the BBC world news channel.

So while it seem ridiculously expensive, But it wasn't an option before and now it is.
0448eb75d0009b80ebdd470c2bdc42d3.jpg

News Pack is missing on Feb 23rd at 747am CST from the dish website, I have the America's top 250 programming package with local channels..
MitchDeerfield how do you watch BBC World News for free on the Roku device. I have the Roku 3.

MitchDeerfield how do you watch BBC World News for free on the Roku device. I have the Roku 3.
He's likely not watching the actual BBC World News, but rather the UK BBC News via a private Roku channel, like Pear.

The icon for BBC world news does appear on the roku but there is no app behind it, no software, does nothing.
Exactly. The private channels eventually get cut off for piracy. Nowhere had it for some time, then disappeared. Same with a couple of others. BBC is on the "hunt" !

Reactions: TheKrell
Further, the full 24/7 BBC World News service USED to be available from other legal means, but then that was CEASED years ago once it was decided to offer BBC World News in the US (it was available in Canada before being offerd in the USA), and ONLY via MVPD's like cable and sat AFTER all BBC World tramsmissions were no longer aired on BBC America, the channel that now airs US repeats like Star Trek and CSI: Maimi. There are some legal apps for bits and pieces of BBC News stories that may have also aired on the World service, often short blips of about 2-3 minutes apiece, and that is a different offering and experience.

AFAIK BBC World (always a commerical venture of the BBC) is NOT offered in any other way in North America except though an MVPD-cable or sat or on-line MVPD. Now, in other parts of the world (such as Africa or Middle East), I think BBC World News service may still be "freeview" via a dedicated sat channel, or free on-line with from certain countries that have no exclusive rights agreements with MVPD's. Many services are now aware of many VPN services batch of IP addresses and may block those from accessing the live feed of programming.

BBC World News is more than just the newscasts. It offers several BBC news/documentary regular or special programs such as Panorama, HARDTalk, Newsnight, and more. US Public TV stations (not as part of the PBS service or offered programs in any way) do have the rights secured by KCET, Los Angeles, to air a few, select newscasts (I think ONE specefic morning and ONE specific evening newscast), BBC World News America and--if the rights are still in place--a weekly abriviated version of Newsnight, but that is it, and the only LEGAL way to view any transmissions from BBC World News service in the USA without having to pay for it via your cable or sat or on-line MVPD. Or you can move to Canada :).

Last edited:
One thing with Private channels, there are so many that offer channels no once else does. Legal or not, there is always someone to offer them for free. If one goes away, someone else will add it. It is a cat and mouse game. BBC World and BBC News has been offered under private channels, Yet Sky News offers their HD channel free to anyone, as does many other English International News Channels. I guess BBC is more protective of their channel?.

One thing with Private channels, there are so many that offer channels no once else does. Legal or not, there is always someone to offer them for free. If one goes away, someone else will add it. It is a cat and mouse game. BBC World and BBC News has been offered under private channels, Yet Sky News offers their HD channel free to anyone, as does many other English International News Channels. I guess BBC is more protective of their channel?.
Well, everything exists even on YouTube, so one does not even need Netflix or Hulu or even any MVPD, so the illegal ways of access are a different universe. But, BBC World was a commerical venture since day one, and I think BBC views it as a source of revenue from uncertain and always changing government funding and controviersies that have embarrased the BBC and sometimes threaten what it might get in the next budget, so I would not be suprised if, as you suggest, BBC is more protective of World (then other "networks" in the UK who have LOTS of commercial programming) as it is the only live, freshly produced "channel" as a purely commercial venture that fits perfectly in the MVPD marketplace, unlike it's long-time licensing divsion that sells rights to air old, really old, or even recently produced content that aired on the BBC (or even on the commerical channel in the UK like Channel 4 and ITV because the BBC has a robust and successful syndication arm in place) including to some public TV stations or public TV nets OTHER than PBS, and then along with what PBS pays the BBC to air Downtown or whatever else is supposed to be the big hit in the UK. Cutting off access from the USA and Canada to BBC World just as they moved to sell it to MVPD's some years ago certainly was a calculated move to make more money.

Love to watch BBC World on Roku.....it's the only place nowadays to get news without he said she said politics type reporting like CNN and MSNBC.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Love to watch BBC World on Roku.....it's the only place nowadays to get news without he said she said politics type reporting like CNN and MSNBC.

And exactly HOW are you getting it on Roku? Please tell, because last I checked, the private channels have been cut off.

Through Channel Pear, they get the feed from FilmOn TV. FilmOn used to be available as a stand along program, but I have been unable to get it to load.

BBC World and BBC News are on several Private channels. If one loses access to it, someone else adds it. Just check through the private news channels. Some of the guys that run these websites "seem" not to be in the US. I cannot tell for sure, but it seems that way. They seem to hid their IP addresses someway. I am not knowledgeable enough to follow it. Hacking is pretty easy to do with the internet I understand, so the cat and mouse game goes on. One thing I do enjoy about the private channels, you never know what you might find. It reminds me of the old days on the big satellite dish (TVRO).

Reactions: jamesjimcie
BBC World and BBC News are on several Private channels. If one loses access to it, someone else adds it. Just check through the private news channels. Some of the guys that run these websites "seem" not to be in the US. I cannot tell for sure, but it seems that way. They seem to hid their IP addresses someway. I am not knowledgeable enough to follow it. Hacking is pretty easy to do with the internet I understand, so the cat and mouse game goes on. One thing I do enjoy about the private channels, you never know what you might find. It reminds me of the old days on the big satellite dish (TVRO).

Yes, it's almost like the days of C Ban satellite transmissions. The "wild feeds" were one of the best reasons to purchase a system. You never knew when or what programming you would find.

I am able to watch BBC world news on my tablet. (or smartphone) one way is with Filmon but there are others like "On Air" World news. If I wanted to I can cast it to my TV Samsung to Samsung. Also readily available with Kodi or using a VPN.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)