BCS to leave FOX for...ESPN?

???? I didn't say broadcast it on the Super Bowl day, I said broadcast it on a Sunday at a time similar to the Super Bowl (usually kicks off ~6:30pm ET, right?). That would put it on a night when people are home to watch and still make it early enough for folks to stay up for the whole game.
The NFL Playoffs begin in January and they play on Sundays, including Sunday nights. They are not going allow any college bowl games to be played on Sundays.

Except Fri and Sat nights are horrible nights for TV ratings. Why would FOX (or ESPN or whomever is broadcasting the game) put it on a night where they are likely to hurt the ratings? They want to maximize the number of people watching.

To achieve, a more sensible solution would be to broadcast it in early evening (east coast time) on Sunday like the Super Bowl.
You would GAIN a ton of people on a Saturday night, as long as it started BY 8 pm.
There would be many more parties going on than during a weeknight.

Jimbo

I'll agree. Saturday would elevate this to "near" SB status.
Problem is that Saturday nights are now being used for NFL Playoffs as well. The NFL doesn't have any "right" to tell the NCAA when they can play, but the NCAA will correctly avoid playing against the NFL so ratings are not affected.

The plan of several years ago seemed to work well - all of the major bowls except for the championship on New Year's, the BCS Championship game one or two days later. Stringing out the bowl games for a week, esp. when half the games become blowouts, stinks.

Problem is that Saturday nights are now being used for NFL Playoffs as well. The NFL doesn't have any "right" to tell the NCAA when they can play, but the NCAA will correctly avoid playing against the NFL so ratings are not affected.

The plan of several years ago seemed to work well - all of the major bowls except for the championship on New Year's, the BCS Championship game one or two days later. Stringing out the bowl games for a week, esp. when half the games become blowouts, stinks.

The NFL does NOT play a Sunday night game during the World Series.
They can do the same for the NCAA Championship game.
Just schedule the playoff for that weekend on Sunday or as an early game on Saturday, the NFL will draw regardless of when they play the playoff games.

Jimbo

If the bowls are about "Tradition" Then can we at least bring back their original names? Instead of the Champ Sports Bowl can we get the Tangerine bowl? What about the "Florida Citrus Bowl" coming back? Tradition of the bowls went out the window when the names were used for profit. At least the Rose Bowl kept its name...

Yeah, I remember when the Rose Bowl said they would never have a sponsor. I guess money talks.
Yup, next step will be the "Citi Rose Bowl", and then finally just the "Citi Bowl". Pretty much what happened or is happening in all the other bowl games.

Well I dont mind the Rosebowl Presented by Citi.. But if they dumped RoseBowl, from the title like that did a ton of other bowls that would be a problem. Tangerine bowl anyone?

Well I dont mind the Rosebowl Presented by Citi.. But if they dumped RoseBowl, from the title like that did a ton of other bowls that would be a problem. Tangerine bowl anyone?

I still refer to bowls like that by their old names (i.e. Citrus Bowl, Peach Bowl, etc.). I've already decided that the new bowl in DC will be referred to as the Congressional Bowl by me (its original, tentative name) as opposed to whatever silly corporate name it ended up with.

I remember it well, the Toledo Rockets played there...
Remember them, 35-0 team lead by Chuck Ealey ...

Jimbo

Like I said, they could put 100 bowl games on and I wouldn't care but just have the BCS end on Jan. 1 please. I'd rather have the games end on Jan. 1 than have the games drawn out by a week and some of them be blowouts.

How many bowl games will there be? I thought having the BCS was to resolve a national champion. Then why did they add the BCS Title Game? I mean what happens 5 yrs. from now? Another BCS Title Game?

Frankly, I would prefer a playoff system (anywhere from 24 to 32 teams) myself. I doubt we will ever go back to the days when the bowl season ended on New Year's Day. I would rather see the national championship decided on the field, rather by polltakers and computers.

Instead of ESPN getting the bowls, like they don't televise enought bowls to begin with, do you think NBC or CBS might make a run for the BCS. I mean my wishlist would be to have the games end on Jan. 1 and have NBC and/or CBS showing them. I mean ESPN doesn't need to show any more bowl games.

What's worst about this deal is that it's not even ABC getting the games, it's ESPN. I mean the bowl games are on the line for ABC to get back after they lost them and they go to ESPN and ESPN only. ABC won't sniff those games which is a shame.

What's worst about this deal is that it's not even ABC getting the games, it's ESPN.
Does ABC even technically do football? All the games on ABC seem to say "ESPN on ABC".

So nothing from the deal precludes ESPN from having the games on ABC. It might even help to get the games back on the same nights, with ABC doing regional coverage, and ESPN filling in for the non-regional, same as they do on Saturday afternoons/evenings.

I absolutely can't believe that Disney would show these games on ESPN instead of ABC. ABC = more potential viewers = higher ad revenue....I don't get their thinking.

I absolutely can't believe that Disney would show these games on ESPN instead of ABC. ABC = more potential viewers = higher ad revenue....I don't get their thinking.

I agree. What exactly would ABC be showing instead that works better? It's not like they can't have all the ancillary programming on ESPN in addition to having games on ABC.

It's odd that even the Rose Bowl would be shifted from ABC to ESPN due to some clause in the contract.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3710477"]ESPN gets rights to BCS games starting in 2011 - ESPN[/ame]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts