Bedroom Television Recommendation

MTSpeedDemon

Original poster
Mar 23, 2015
Montana USA
I have a 19 inch TV in my bedroom but after moving to a new house, larger room, the TV is further away and now difficult to read DirecTV menus and other text. I'd like a recommendation for what size would be best for 11.5 ft viewing distance?

I referred to the chart on Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_HDTV_viewing_distance and get 32"-55". My living room TV isn't 55" and I'm darn sure not mounting something like that above a dresser under 12ft away. So what do y'all like for a bedroom TV. I'd live to have integrated DVD or bluray but I'm sure that's some sort of absurd request these days.

More specifics if it matters; a new flat panel TV to be wall mounted above a media chest (tall set of drawers), preferably at least two HDMI to support my DirecTV Genie client and an optional Roku, PS3, Chromecast, whatever. Easy to operate and usually operated by the DirecTV remote so good support from D would be important.

I'd consider built in wireless (or wired) Genie client, sorry I forget what that standard is called. Right now all of my DirecTV networking is wired and internet enabled. I don't know what it takes to enable wireless clients or if I'd even want that. Definitely not if it affects the rest of my network performance.

Oh and I don't need a smart webcam TV spying on my bedroom :-0

A lot is going to be your personal preference. I have a 50" and a 40" as a bedroom tv at about 13 & 15 ft from the bed. You have already ruled those sizes out, I don't think I would go with less than a 32" TV.

Reactions: Bronxiniowa
I hear you. I started with 37" at about that distance and am now at 65". Perfect.
Unfortunately, the cheapskate in me keeps waiting for one to break. I'd love to move the Panny plasma into the bedroom and get something new for the family room.

Wow y'all 55 and 65 in the bedroom? Yikes! For one I couldn't fit that above our dresser and even so, that's bigger than any of our other TVs. Maybe I need to get on the upgrade train. Well I looked at a 28 and 32 side by side last night, measured back 12 ft and either would be fine. This is really not used much and I just want to be able to read the text and menus a little better. Thanks for all the tips :)

Wow y'all 55 and 65 in the bedroom? Yikes! For one I couldn't fit that above our dresser and even so, that's bigger than any of our other TVs. Maybe I need to get on the upgrade train. Well I looked at a 28 and 32 side by side last night, measured back 12 ft and either would be fine. This is really not used much and I just want to be able to read the text and menus a little better. Thanks for all the tips :)
I would say go with a 32" if your not wanting to go much bigger.
28" is an odd size, I'd go with 32, even 32's are getting harder to find.
I personally have a 40" in the bedroom with a 60" in the HT room.

This thread would be more informative if people mentioned the size of their bedrooms. Mine's 30ft by 27ft so a 55" fits nice as its about 12ft from the foot of the bed. Could go to 60" but definitely nothing smaller.

I agree and my 11.5" measurement was TV screen to my eyeballs so 55+ is just too much.
I think you mean 11.5' right?

My eyeballs are 11' away from my 120" screen in my theater. My 50" plasma is 7' away in the family room and is too small. Trust me, you get used to the bigger size very quickly. A 55" set doesn't cost any more than a reasonable 32" one these days.

55" would not be too big at 11.5'. Minimum distance would be around 6.1 feet and maximum would be 11.9 feet. Optimum viewing distance for say a 40" tv would be between 4.4 and 8.7 feet.

S~

Yes, eleven and one half feet. I don't like a screen so big that to track movement I notice my eyes and head moving around more than normal just to see the entire screen. And I'm not trying to debate what's good for other folks. My living room and family room TVs are not even 55" so 55+ would seem out of place. And besides that, I can't fit one of those between the top of my media chest and low ceiling so for me it just isn't going to happen. I'll shop 32s I think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts