bein Sport HD channel request

could their reason for not carrying be that Beinsports say that they will carry some south american world cup qualifiers? i know that dish does show those on PPV.

Dish could no longer show those because the rights are with BeIn now, so the former provider would no longer have them to sell.

I dont name sources, but the email I got last night was from some guy from a major soccer site. (not anyone at DISH) but he claimed he talked to beIN and DISH and said it was coming.

I then contacted beIN directly and they quickly responded that DIRECTV was the only distributor they currently had. (And again that was directly from beIN.)

Was it Oliver?

FYI - On channel 408 (the one that will be for English packages), if you select "Spanish" in Alternate Audio menu choice in Preferences, then there is definitely spanish language commentary instead of Phil and Ray.

Just found this on Bein's website, when you search for providers in your area...

"Congratulations! beIN SPORT is available on DISH Network channel #408 and HD channel #408*"

Looks like we might be getting the HD after all!!!!

I love that they have added BEIN Sport but why does DISH launch channels in SD when DirecTV launches with the HD stream?
An HD version of a channel can take as much as 8 times the bandwidth of a SD channel. HD space is at a permium on DISH. While on DIRECTV beIN Sport had some good timing as DIRECTV just cleared some space to be able to add new HD to its lineup. Yesterday DIRECTV added 4 HD channels which was the most HD they added in years.

An HD version of a channel can take as much as 8 times the bandwidth of a SD channel. HD space is at a permium on DISH. While on DIRECTV beIN Sport had some good timing as DIRECTV just cleared some space to be able to add new HD to its lineup. Yesterday DIRECTV added 4 HD channels which was the most HD they added in years.
Er, what happened to that freed up bandwith Dish had after they dropped the AMC Network channels? Did it disappear into the atmosphere?

Dont forget the bandwidth from the Disney channels that we in HD too.

A lot more people watched AMC then will ever watch a soccer channel in HD. There is just not an audience for it in HD on DISH. They want a HD channels where a million people are watching at one time, not a channel where less then 10,000 will be watching at any one time.

Thats not a put down on soccer at all, its just more a supply and demand type things.

If AMC and the Disney HD channels come back to DISH (and I do expect them to) then they need the HD bandwidth for those channels.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Dont forget the bandwidth from the Disney channels that we in HD too.

A lot more people watched AMC then will ever watch a soccer channel in HD. There is just not an audience for it in HD on DISH. They want a HD channels where a million people are watching at one time, not a channel where less then 10,000 will be watching at any one time.

Thats not a put down on soccer at all, its just more a supply and demand type things.

If AMC and the Disney HD channels come back to DISH (and I do expect them to) then they need the HD bandwidth for those channels.

Thanks for the info Scott, though if I may steal a line from you...thing that make you humm...you expect one day for disney and amc to come back? Hopefully one day!

Previously their streaming on their web site, was definitely worse than the letterboxed SD on Dish.
They rushed to put that stream up. I believe they intended to offer streaming as a service to subscribers, but that it wasn't going to be ready by the launch. I don't think the performance of the original stream is indicative of what their final streaming product would be.

So, a general slightly off-topic question from a newb:

Are the two satellite companies taking any measures to modify the tech. to get over the bandwidth crunch for HD? I realize they can't easily "upgrade" their delivery system because that involves launching giant billion-dollar machines into space, but one would assume that they've been looking for ways to eventually fix this.

Given that HD-all-the-time is going to be (maybe already is) the expectation of consumers, are they experimenting with ways to make it easier to fit it in, beyond just launching more satellites?

The beIN website, as kstuart notes, does say Dish has this available in HD. Now that may be a cut and paste mistake from the Directv coverage, but it is something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)