Bell 9241 PVR freezing trouble: phone related?

RGKnight

Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
Vancouver
We have Shaw phone/internet and Bell satellite TV. Last weekend our phone connection wasn't working - no dial tone - and at the same time our Bell 9241 PVR receiver started freezing. Of course, the receiver plugs into a modular phone jack, and here it's via a splitter that also connects the phone. The PVR image freezes in live or recorded mode, but the audio continues. It doesn't respond to the remote so we have to reboot everytime. so far it's only happening on the SportsNet World HD channel. Other channels are fine, even HD ones.

Shaw sent a tech guy who said our phone trouble was a connection problem to the modem that they detected remotely, and he replaced a couple of ancient coaxial outlets and did some work on the Shaw box elsewhere in our apartment building. After that our phone worked and internet was a lot faster. The 9241 PVR worked okay for a day, now it's freezing again on SportsNet World HD. Other HD and non HD channels work fine. We are mystified and hoping it isn't some complex issue between Shaw and Bell that will take weeks or months to sort out, because as soon as the phone went out, the receiver started freezing. And we watch a lot of European football at our place!

This may sound obvious but if the 9241 works fine with NO phone connection, just remove it.

Apart from Caller ID I don't see any reason to ever connect a phone line to a Receiver.

Bell says the PVR must be attached to a phone line in order to receive programming listings and software updates. Last night Bell said the interruption in our phone service prevented the PVR from receiving an update, resulting in the freezing problem. They sent the receiver an update and said to wait two hours and the problem should be solved. It isn't solved, and the freezing problem happens whether the phone line is connected or not.

I see hundreds of Bell Receivers installed everyday, you do NOT need the phone line for updates or anything EXCEPT caller ID.

The software update is scheduled for 3am each day by default, the Guide is updated at the same time each day. Software updates are few and you might only see 2 a year, if that.

If you are still having freezing issues it is a Receiver issue.

Have you done a "Check Switch" recently.? MENU, 6, 1, 1 then follow the on screen prompts. This should be done after ANY power outage, no matter how brief.

Thanks for pointing out Bell's total misinformation. Because the problems began with the phone problems you can see why we thought there was a connection. (There was never a power failure, just a phone line failure.) The receiver rebooted itself when I did the Check Switch test just now. Signal strength has been robust through this whole ordeal, so that's not it. A technician is coming tomorrow. Bell is graciously offering this service call at 50% off the $75 fee... yes, I'm gritting my teeth...

Just FYI Shawdirect gives free service calls and you would get a discount for bundling since you already have 2 services from Shaw.
Just in case your Bell still gives you grief..

Thanks for pointing out Bell's total misinformation. Because the problems began with the phone problems you can see why we thought there was a connection. (There was never a power failure, just a phone line failure.) The receiver rebooted itself when I did the Check Switch test just now. Signal strength has been robust through this whole ordeal, so that's not it. A technician is coming tomorrow. Bell is graciously offering this service call at 50% off the $75 fee... yes, I'm gritting my teeth...

For now, but Shawdirect is advertising they will have 200 some HD in the next year when the new sat goes up, more than any other provider in Canada.

Bell has more HD channels than Shaw that we want but yeah, the Shaw option is always on the back burner.

I have a 9241 and do not have any phone line connected to it. The software updates, program guide updates, and subscription changes come via the satellite. The phone line is needed if you want to order pay per view using the channel guide. I consider not being able to do that a good thing!!

Exactly what I said in Post #4.

I would NEVER connect a phone line.

You can still use the Bell Web Site to schedule a Recording on your 9241/9242 machines, WITHOUT a Phone Line or Ethernet Connection. The website, triggers a 'timer' and it records, just like magic.

Have the Bell 9241 here too. The installer said it had to connect to the phone line. Figured out that was only to order PPV so it was immediatly disconnected. Just remember to turn the receiver off once in a while so it will install the latest update when it re-boots. Use ethernet connection for the TV and blue-ray player, didn't see the point in connecting the Bell receiver it won't do anything on the local network like transfer movies etc... what I would think the ethernet connection would be there for.
If the picture is freezing maybe reception is poor? Check your signal levels just in case.
-C.

I use the Internet and the Bell website to order PPV, that way it shows up on ALL my receivers. Using a Receiver connected via the phone line just gets the PPV on that machine, or that was always how it used to be anyway.

The 9241 is set to download the Guide Data and update software at 3am every morning by default. It also powers down after 3 hours of inactivity.

Connecting the Ethernet cable to your router will give you access to the "Remote PVR" functions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts