Bell Express Vu in Charlotte NC

drannin44

Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
Rock Hill SC
Hey All,

Have ExpressVu dish (dual 82/91) and receiver (6100) and am set up to subscribe (have CDN address) but I seem to only be able to find the 91 Satellite. Have the Az and Elevation
True Azimuth: 189.34
Magn. Azimuth: 196.19
Skew Angle: 94.9
Dish Elevation: 48.7

I cannot seem to find any private Dish installers that might be able to come do this for me since I am obviously not getting the angles right by myself. Anyone know the best way to find an installer down here (Charlotte NC or Rock Hill SC)

Hi, what size is the dish you are trying to setup? I think the 82 satellite has a more focused foot print for Canada so some of your trouble might be too weak of a signal for a small dish from the south.

Try to find out what size dish is needed for your area for the 82 satellite.

Later, DC

Sat 82 is spotbeamed really tight, and, unless you are near the border, you may be too far South to get it.
Exactly. 82w was replaced a while back with a new bird that has pretty much no signal to the lower 48. I don't think it will be possible at all to receive 82 from the Carolinas. :(

DIsh Size

Thanks for the input. I have the 20" dish and am getting 90% on some of the transponders for 91. This is so funny. Just had Bell send me a new card (45 bucks) to update my 6100 box since everything I saw online previously said that unless I was in Texas, I would have no issues. Am I correct that all the HD signals are on 82w? Any ideas or am i stuck with SD only?

correct. All of the HD is on 82.

82 does not reach that far south. Unless you're near the border (the Canadian border) or maybe a state further south you wont get it
Folks in PA & NJ use 1.2m dishes to get a decent enough signal

I am in Nashville which is as far south as Charlotte and pull in 82W with a 1.2 Fortec. I tried smaller dishes ranging from 80 cms to 100 cms but not all transponders came through on a consistent basis. As I am further west than Charlotte I cannot guarantee that a 1.2 m would work for you

A 20 inch will not work at all on any transponders on 82W.

Attachments

• Nimiq4.jpg
    Nimiq4.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 249
1.2m Dish

Anyone else think a 1.2m dish might work form Charlotte? Am a serious newbie and would need a professional installer, but looks like a 1.2m dish is only about 150 bucks online so for a few hundred more I would like to think I could get something set up. It would definitely be worth 300 or 400 bucks to be able to get CBC, Hockey Night in Canada, and a few other tastes of home. I think I just miss my Tim Horton's commercials (oh, and Olympic Coverage for the next one would be a blessing...)

you are too far south to probably get any signal with a 1.2m or even a 10 foot dish..see the map I posted and linked too. Nashville is just barely below that line. You're 3 states below it

91W works in the whole US. I know it isnt HD but its something ;)

Anyone else think a 1.2m dish might work form Charlotte? Am a serious newbie and would need a professional installer, but looks like a 1.2m dish is only about 150 bucks online so for a few hundred more I would like to think I could get something set up. It would definitely be worth 300 or 400 bucks to be able to get CBC, Hockey Night in Canada, and a few other tastes of home. I think I just miss my Tim Horton's commercials (oh, and Olympic Coverage for the next one would be a blessing...)

if you want HD, you are much better off getting ShawDirect (at least for now)

Thanks For all your input Guys.

I appreciate it as I would have spent another weekend messing around to no avail. Maybe someday they'll switch Satellites again and I'll get some HD.

Thanks Again.

Using a Dish Network superdish (36"x 20") in Raleigh. I am able to get a few transponders on 82. Including the transponder for CBC Toronto HD. Find a cheap, used 1.2m dish and give it a try. Can't guarantee you anything, but it may be possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)