Bell Expressvu Blocking out Network Shows

DataWave

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
Has anyone else noticed that this season that bell has been blocking out network tv shows like how sports are blacked out.. Ive had chicago fire, hawaii 5-0, gotham, sleepy hollow, and the blacklist all set up on a timer to record, I go to watch it, says skipped : Blacked out in your area. Ive had to set up VU PASS recordings now, just so if something gets skipped on 1 channel, it will pick it up on another channel.

DW

I also have Bell & that's never happened to me. What model receiver do you have? Depending on the amount of tuners you have is the only reason shows would be skipped if there all set to record at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6142 I think it is.. Single tuner, with added external for pvr function. All of those timers, except of course gotham, have been on my pvr for at least a year, (for previous seasons). Its just this season for some reason they are getting blacked out (recording on 1200 range, HD networks). The ONLY difference I can figure out from this year to previous years is that our local station (which is on bell) recently switched from either ctv to global broadcasts, or global to ctv, and they are airing those shows as well.. But its ONLY on the US feed 1200, 1203, etc.. Once I set up a VU PASS timer, its been grabbing them in the 800 channel range. And its def not a SKIPPED due to CONFLICT, its a this program has been blacked out in your area

I just checked Gotham on channel 1203. It's definitely on although it's Simsubbed with the CTV feed.

You could always try recording the Friday night re-airing which is the actual Fox feed & see if that works for you.

I am able to get it on other channels, what annoys me is that channels that used to work, dont anymore. And I did find out its due to our local station, as a friend had called complaining and they said, its because our local station is airing the same programming at the same time. So instead of simulcasting overtop of the main networks, they are just blocking it on us. As I said, I just set up VU PASS timers so it will grab it whereever possible.

Yes I know what a simsub is, and yes I AM CANADIAN.. What bell is doing is something different now. A friend was informed that an "update" was done in August.This is not a SIMSUB issue,persay. Bell is now BLOCKING ALL channels that the local provider is airing the same programming at the same time. On Shaw Cable local commercials would just simulcast their ads overtop of the US ones on the US channels. Now. Instead of picking any channel to view the prg, you are forced to actually select the local provider. As I mentioned before, all my timers have been set up in the past (excluding any new programming),that recorded just fine in previous seasons. I honestly dont give a flying F about the commercials, as I pvr everything I watch to view later and skip commercials, but the fact that what has worked in the past no longer works. Forcing the subscriber to a limited list of channels, is BS. We pay for each and every single one of those channels. As a paying subscriber, it should be my choice what channel I wish to view it on.

I'd call Bell & complain. My Bell sub is from our Canadian home in SK and none of our network channels are blacked out at anytime.

What channel number are you trying to record?

AFAIK, Bell do not blackout anything other than AMC in HD, where AMC do not have the rights to broadcast that particular Movie in HD, it will still air in SD on the lower channels though.

I've had SD,Rogers Cable, BTV & now Bell Fibe TV and in all that time I've never seen the provide "Black out" a US tv show. I've sen simocasts or a show being blacked out because that US net didn't have the copy rights(the big 7 Nets IE Fox,CBS,CW etc are exempt)to show that show in Canada in HD like on TCM, but that only happens a few times. Canada doesn't have that Sindex or what ever you call it in the US rule regarding TV shows.

The way I understand simsubs from when I had Starchoice (Shaw) many moons ago is that Bell just subs the US Net with the Canadian one on a nationwide basis. Shaw can map individual receivers to the Canadian network depending on where the receiver's service address is. Changing the channel mapping also let's them use different Canada stations for the simsub. The old trick was to unplug the Shaw receiver after the mapping happened and it would revert to the US network as the receiver lost it's mind due to the reboot. Is this still the case?. I had Shaw up until 2004 and was thinking of coming back, really enjoyed the service. Back then the US dollar to Canadian dollar ratio was very high, so prices were dirt cheap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts