Bell Expressvu channel 205 (transponder 32) no signal?

hawkeye256

Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Montreal
Hi,

A couple of days ago, I stopped getting a signal for transponder 32 on my Bell ExpressVu Satellite system. Due to this, I am no longer able to watch channel 205 which is CTV Montreal. This station is important to me since I live in Montreal and like to watch the local news.

All my other transponders have a strong signal... mostly above 90%.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do?

The skies are currently clear and the there are no leaves obstructing the signal.

If I must nudge the dish, which way do I nudge it? Up, down, left, right?

Any tips would help!

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Mike,

Welcome. What model receiver do you have? If you are receiving a strong signal on other transponders, moving the dish would be pointless. Try resetting your receiver. If that doesn't work, try running a check switch. That might help. Are you using a SW21, SW44, or other switch?

Thanks Frank!

I have a 4700 receiver. I am not using any switch and my dish is pointing only at Nimiq1.

Further reading this forum, I saw a post that mentions that channel 205 moved from transponder 11 to 32 at the beginning of February. I starting to think that my problem may have started at that point.

Do you or anyone else have any tips?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Check switch does not reveal any problems since I am not using a switch. My receiver dates back to 2002 and my dish dates back 1998. I want to avoid doing any upgrades until I am ready to o HD.

I am currently only having trouble with the last transponder (#32). I am going to play with the dish this weekend.

Any tips??? Should I nudge the dish to the left, right, up, down in order to increase my chances of getting a signal for that transponder???

Tonight I was able to receive a signal of 40% for a brief amount of time!!! I guess I was lucky.

I never needed to worry about Transponder 32 until Bell had the idea to change 205 (CTV Montreal) from transponder 11 to 32 at the beginning of the month. Is there any one out there with a similar issue???

I talked to a Bell rep and they suggested that I try another receiver... Is that a good idea????

Thanks in advance,

Mike

A slightly mispointed dish shouldn't affect only one transponder.
Check all the others. If they are all good, then it could be a bad lnb or receiver.

If you're still under warrenty, then call Bell.

Once again, it is a pointless exercise to move the Dish, loosing 1 transponder is not an aiming issue.

Also running a check switch, is not just reserved for systems that have a switch installed, it will at least tell you if there are any major issues with reception.

I would think it is the LNBF or moisture in a connector. It could also be the receiver that is failing.

Did you re-locate the receiver, just before you lost signal or move it closer to the TV etc.?

Thanks everyone!!!

I did not relocate the receiver. I think what maybe happening is that my receiver or the LNB has a problem with transponder 32. I never needed transponder 32 until Bell changed channel 205 from transponder 11 to transponder 32.

My receiver and dish is no longer on warranty. I bought my dish in 1998 and the receiver in 2002. I wish Bell would have good promotions for existing customers. It's kinda expensive for me to replace everything.

Is it more likely that the dish would be the problem or is it more likely that the receiver is the problem????

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance...

Hi Mike. Hey at least I'm not the only one still using a 4700. :D Im with you--not gonna upgrade till we go HD at the house.

Anyway were getting 82 signal on xpdr 32 here in California. did you try other channels on the same xpder? if you aren't sure which ones they are theres a list here: BellTV :: SRDU Department you can sort by xpdr. For example ch. 110 and 70 and a bunch we don't get becuz we don't have the French package. Also some music channels. Probably you arent getting any fo those but check to make sure.

I dont know what would make one xpder go out on an LNB or rcvr but maybe one of the really techy guys here knows. Like maybe 32 is the highest freq. and that's why it disappeared??

Good luck!

Yes we are getting 82 signal here on xpdr 32 of 91 satellite. I dont think we could get 82 satellite in Calif from what I've read. We don't have HD so havent tried.

I wonder whatever happened to Mike he never came back and said if anything helped.

I am having a similar problem.....I hooked up a new receiver and I am missing some channels on it. I get the channels on the other receiver. The new one is a 4100 model and the one that gets all the channels is a 3100 model. I switch the receivers around and the channels are missing on the 3100 now and come in on the 3100. This makes me think it is the line coming into the house is faulty or the LNB? I am getting no signal strength on the transponder 5 with the faulty line LNB. Do you suggest changing the cable or the LNB? anyone ever have this problem before? Sounds awfully similar to what Hawkeye is going through?

Thanks!

As bayguy says, did you use a Multiswitch or splitter.

It could very well be that one side of the Twin LNBF is defective. At least you know the receiver is OK, so that is good.

I would start with changing/inspecting the connectors, then try swapping over the 2 lines at the LNBF, see if the fault follows the line or the LNBF port.

Just on a side note, the 4100 should not be set too close to older TV's, it is a cheap plastic case that provides no protection from interference from the older CRT TV's. I have seen lots of issues with this model, where it looses most higher transponders. The fix if it has to be on top of the TV, is to sit it in a small aluminum foil baking tray, this will shield it and all transponders will work again. better yet, move it away the full length of the connecting cables.....

Gee Slarti whats happening with these guys who ask questions and then never come back to read the answers?? Well we tried. :( Love your nym btw. Didn't care for the movie alot but the TV show was great.

The movie did kind of suck, I must admit.....lol

I guess they found the answer but are too busy watching TV to let us know.......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)