Bell ExpressVu D5100

irish1968

Original poster
Aug 9, 2010
Cambridge, ON
Hey Sat Guys!

I have a Bell ExpressVu D5100 satellite receiver as my secondary. The problem I am having is, the hard drive doesn't work for the PVR, and I am having problems uploading the software update and locking onto the signal. I was told the Hard drive was just for the PVR option but would still work without it for veiwing programs. Is this part correct? I have set everything up, tried to register it to the Bell.ca website as an extra receiver. I added the serial # for the receiver, and that was good, but the card # would not register, and I was told the card was outdated, and I could by a new one for $44.00. The other problem they found when troubleshooting online, was the software needed to be updated, so I was told the transponder # to use, but it would not lock on, even with 100% signal. It would show.......wrong sat - not locked. I tried all 32 transponder #'s afterwards, and the same problem, the bar would not lock on and go green, even at 100%. I even hooked up the phone line to update the software that way, but it would dial, and show it failed to connect. Is the receiver beyond usage, besides a paper weight? Or is it because the hard drive is missing? Does it need the updated card before it can lock onto the signal and update the software? Another thing I should mention, it does show the guide, and plays the info channels but the rest are locked out until I register, so that part baffles me as well, since it shows the signal is not locked! Any help is needed, I payed a little money on it, so if I can still use it, that would be great, otherwise I will by a new one.

My primary is a D5900, with no problems!

I am not sure where you get the prefix "D" from for the receiver, it is a 5100 plain and simple. The other is a 5900.

Bell receivers will update the software when they are switched OFF via the Remote. They still need the Hydro and the Sat connections.

On that model there is a setting in the Menu that can stop it taking an Update, not sure exactly where it is, so just have a dig around. It will say "Accept Updates with/without my permission", you need to have it accept WITHOUT permission. Then turn OFF and it should download within 10 / 15 mins max.

Have you done a Check Switch.?

Run one without a sat cable, so it will fail and return the 5100 to a default state, then connect the sat cable and Run again. Menu, 6, 1, 1.

Has this 5100 been used recently.? If the Card is more than 2 Versions old, you will need a new card.

In my opinion, it is not worth buying a Card for $44, Bell might even offer you an RMA replacement for $50 and they will ship you a 5900.

Sounds like it could be an extreme case of the Conexant chip issue.

5100's (and possibly 5800s) had an issue with a chip in the tuner assembly that would come unsoldered due to the high heat load generated by the chip. Its usually characterized by signal constantly dropping out while watching a given channel - and if you go to sat strength screen, signal strength will remain constant at ~ 80-100%, but the bar will oscillate back and forth between green/locked and red/unlocked.

Check this thread, starting with post #21:
5100 Signal Problem - Page 2 - Digital Forum

You can also search on Conexant and Dish 501 - there's lots of similar threads.

There are brute-force fix methods described on some of these pages - temp-controlled heat gun from the top and push down; drill thru motherboard under chip and apply more solder; etc etc. I had a small surface-mount circuit board design company lift the chip and resolder it - however that was 18 months ago and its playing up again.

As you're in Canada and can communicate with Bell easily - its probably simpler to just get another receiver.

Despite identical outside appearance, 5100's and 5900's are not identical save for hard-drive size. 5900's apparently had a redesigned interior that avoids this problem.

Others may correct me, but I don't think receiver activation on your account should stop it from downloading software updates. I recall reading that one should avoid accidentally point a Bell dish at a DISH satellite in the US, lest the receiver suddenly download a DISH software update, and prevent it from working with Bell's signal. So - if you're 5900 is working fine, the the 5100 should download what it needs when connected (maybe with a power-cycle or two) if its taking in the signal properly.

My bad, I origanally found a DE02 as the model number, then noticed the BEV label with the 5100, and the "D" must have been stuck in my head when I wrote it. Sorry.

I have tried the switch test, everything was fine. It just doesn't seem to lock on the signal. Further investigation on the forum shows a problem with the 5100, a chip becoming overheated, causing the solder to crack loose or something of that nature. Resoldering is tricky, and if replacement is needed, it's not cheap, so I will scrap it, and get a new one.

As for the card, it hasn't been used recently, and BEV support stated it was outdated.

Thanks anyways guys!

I am not sure where you get the prefix "D" from for the receiver, it is a 5100 plain and simple. The other is a 5900.

Bell receivers will update the software when they are switched OFF via the Remote. They still need the Hydro and the Sat connections.

On that model there is a setting in the Menu that can stop it taking an Update, not sure exactly where it is, so just have a dig around. It will say "Accept Updates with/without my permission", you need to have it accept WITHOUT permission. Then turn OFF and it should download within 10 / 15 mins max.

Have you done a Check Switch.?

Run one without a sat cable, so it will fail and return the 5100 to a default state, then connect the sat cable and Run again. Menu, 6, 1, 1.

Has this 5100 been used recently.? If the Card is more than 2 Versions old, you will need a new card.

In my opinion, it is not worth buying a Card for $44, Bell might even offer you an RMA replacement for $50 and they will ship you a 5900.

Last edited:
It could be worth watching the Big Box stores, they often have the 6131 on sale for $100 and while it is an HD Receiver it works just the same for the SD Channels. Then add an External Hard Drive 500gig and up and you will get 500 hours of Recording capability on SD.