Bell ExpressVU Uplink Report - 12/08/2006 (Big shuffle on 82W again)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
No, Digiblur, that's the irony for those of us down here. We were fine when there was just one satellite at 91 and one at 82. It's when Bell tried to help everyone out with the additional satellites that we lost our channels.

What really ticked me off was they could just as easily have made more logical moves. That is, they could have moved PPV, French language, and other more esoteric types of programming to the Directv satellites, and left the core programming such as the major Canadian & US networks, plus the sports channels. It seems that they went out of their way to make things difficult for us; as if they were actually forcing us to quit as "illegal" subscribers. I can certainly understand their not being able to officially sanction US subscribers, but for crying out loud, we've got money in our hands that we're waving around and they're essentially saying, "We don't want it." All they had to do was make a logical shuffle of the transponders and we would have been fine, but they chose not to do so.

From D* 10-K -72.5 WL Orbital License

As part of an arrangement with Telesat Canada, or Telesat, a Canadian telecommunications and broadcast services company, DIRECTV U.S. agreed to provide Telesat the use of the DIRECTV 3 satellite, which was previously used as an in-orbit spare, through the end of its useful life and in return, Telesat agreed to allow DIRECTV U.S. to use its 72.5 degrees west longitude, or WL, orbital location through 2008. As additional consideration for DIRECTV U.S.' use of 72.5 WL, DIRECTV U.S. also agreed to allow Telesat to use DIRECTV 5 or a similar satellite for a five year period, subject to certain conditions, beginning at the end of 2008. Upon receipt of final approval from the Federal Communications Commission, or FCC, in the third quarter of 2004, DIRECTV U.S. transferred DIRECTV 3 to Telesat and relocated one of its satellites to 72.5 WL to provide additional local channels and other programming in the United States. We recorded these transactions as an exchange of similar productive assets based on the net book values of the assets exchanged. As a result, we recorded a $162.6 million 72.5 WL orbital license intangible asset, which is equal to the $71.5 million net book value of the DIRECTV 3 satellite transferred from satellites, net, and an accrual for deferred lease revenues of $91.1 million, representing the value of the transferred satellite over the five year lease period. We are amortizing the 72.5 WL orbital license intangible asset over the four year contract period and will recognize the deferred lease revenues as an offset to depreciation expense during the five year lease period beginning at the end of 2008.

And for a satellite, a slot and satellite time for 5 years past 2008, you don't think there was a handshake behind the scenes that made sure the English product was put on the old DTV satellites? ;)

Digi, if I get a chance tonight, I'll go through my tp's and see which I'm missing here in deep South Florida, although I'm sure it's the same as before.

As has been mentioned on previous threads, Tampa/Orlando still gets them all (I'm sure HDFan will pipe up if he's lost any), so it would be helpful for those of us on either side of "Gator Alley".

I had emailed Evu through a friend a year ago under the surmise of a snowbird neighbour coming down and losing channels. Asked just as you stated Clay, why not move PPV, etc. programming to those oddball tp's. All he got back was "It is illegal for Evu programming to be viewed in the US, whether by Canadians on vacation or otherwise." Basically, a big F-U.

What TP's on 82W are missing in Arizona? What size dish do you have?

I'm using a 90 cm dish aimed at 82W only. I get no signal at all from transponders :
7,8,9,11,12,21,24,27,29,31 and low 40's on transponders: 5 and 25 (not viewable)

The remaining transponders are in the high 80s or low 90s.

No, Digiblur, that's the irony for those of us down here. We were fine when there was just one satellite at 91 and one at 82. It's when Bell tried to help everyone out with the additional satellites that we lost our channels.

What really ticked me off was they could just as easily have made more logical moves. That is, they could have moved PPV, French language, and other more esoteric types of programming to the Directv satellites, and left the core programming such as the major Canadian & US networks, plus the sports channels. It seems that they went out of their way to make things difficult for us; as if they were actually forcing us to quit as "illegal" subscribers. I can certainly understand their not being able to officially sanction US subscribers, but for crying out loud, we've got money in our hands that we're waving around and they're essentially saying, "We don't want it." All they had to do was make a logical shuffle of the transponders and we would have been fine, but they chose not to do so.

I know, I know, someone will post about how American subscribers are the antichrist. That's fine, just go ahead...

I can guarantee you with a company that large with a buttload of paperwork and other BS, they couldn't just speak up and say "what about the grey market americans?" The had some technical reasons to move things around and I can bet they consider everyone in coverage area....so they did the shuffle. It could be just the opposite, that up north people can see the other bird better since it has more power, so they moved some things around to get less complaints from people.

I'm using a 90 cm dish aimed at 82W only. I get no signal at all from transponders :
7,8,9,11,12,21,24,27,29,31 and low 40's on transponders: 5 and 25 (not viewable)

The remaining transponders are in the high 80s or low 90s.

I did a quick comparison and in South Louisiana I receive the transponders you stated above at almost 100% on a 90cm, all the others I get around 65%. Just the opposite here. Weird footprint...

I thought I heard, once upon a time, that Bell was going to launch replacement birds. I would be willing to hang in there if I thought it was imminent, but is it true that the earliest this will happen is 2008?

I'm really bummed out, as I love my 9200. But it's going up for sale as soon as my cancellation take effect in a few more days. I just got Directv's much-inferior HR20 (in my opinion) and already miss the Expressvu unit. But what good is a receiver that can't receive what you pay for!

(But I'm not bitter...)

I'm sure it has nothing to do with eliminating tps south of the border, it's very likely that it has more to do with improving things in the far North regions of Canada. Keep in mind that although the majority of our population is on the southern side of Canada, it extends as far north as Alaska and there are no satellites specifically designed to cover those regions so they must do what they can to optimize the signal to these customers to keep them happy too.

And on the other side of that coin, there are a few US channels that I can't get legally here. I'm not sure if they still exist but there used to be brokers that would help us obtain US programming here after Cancom shut down and left us with absolutely nothing to subscribe to.

It just seems to make sense to me that if Bell sees a need to reinforce signal strength to its core customers everywhere in Canada (not in the US), that this need would apply to all channels equally? Isn't there an equal need to strengthen CBC-HD as much as a PPV-HD channel? So why not assign the most widely viewed channels (major Canadian & US networks, sports, etc.) to the satellite that reaches the Southern US?

What is gained by moving some to the Directv satellite and leaving others on Nimiq2? It sounds to me like either having a four quarters or 100 pennies -- it's all the same, so what difference does it make how you shuffle them around?

I really don't understand what is gained by this manuevering. But as I said, I'm not bitter!:)

Last edited:
You raise a valid point Clayface. Like when Star Choice added a 2nd satellite which carried strictly ethnic programming and HD when it was first available. That move made sense. But with Express-Vu it does seem like they are moving things irrationally. The other thing that still doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me is why the HD is on the weaker of the two Nimiq satellites. Oh well.........if I had all the answers this wouldn't be nearly as much "fun"!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)