Bell in the US without Nimiq82

wetdemindaydream

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2009
VA
Hi All,
I'm trying to get Bell in the US, and was wondering if this is possible with only Nimiq91. A tree is in the way of 82 but I get a strong signal from 91. Is there anything I need to know to make this setup work (if it can)? I have very strong signal for 91 but no guide, channels, nothin.
Right now I have a dish 500 twin LNBF connected to an SW44 switch to a 3100 receiver. When it was activated (in Canada) it was connected to the same setup but it had 82...is it possible the guide info is coming through 82?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Well I received almost nothing but 2 transponders on 82 for a good 4 or 5 months and my program guide and everything worked fine. 82 is used for HD and also most of the non-english channels both of which we subscribe to and pay for so I opted for a jumbodish :)

Did you run a test switch? It should show a big red X over the 82 satellite and probably warn you that you will be losing a bunch of channels if you save (since you dont have any from 82).

Hi All,
Right now I have a dish 500 twin LNBF connected to an SW44 switch to a 3100 receiver. through 82?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Get rid of the SW44 you cannot feed a SW 44 with a twin.

also The twin has a built in switch anyway so an external switch isn't needed.

I've got 100% on TP3 and >70% on all others (often close to 100%) for Nimiq91. I ran check switch and it has the X's where 82 would be and green for 91.
The SW44 comes with the dish/receiver from Bell, so I'm pretty sure I need it.
Any other ideas?

But a twin doesn't come from Bell, only one or two dual LNBFs come from Bell TV, you will only get two of them if you need 82W for HD or foreign programming. Lots of people only have 91W, so your theory of the guide only coming on 82W is wrong.

I've got 100% on TP3 and >70% on all others (often close to 100%) for Nimiq91. I ran check switch and it has the X's where 82 would be and green for 91.
Any other ideas?

Well if that showed up, it would seem that things are working. I would trust a guy with 1000+ posts on the subject over myself though.

Out of curiosity how long has it been since it was activated? A while back they sent out new smartcards. It received no channels other than 1 that said I needed to upgrade the smartcard and I had to send back home for them to mail it to me then it did its thing and worked.

Maybe I'm confused about the terminology...I have two LNBFs on the dish. I figured the guide wasn't coming from 82...just trying to imagine anything that might be a problem as I'm getting close to taking a sledgehammer to this dish :eek:

As to when it was activated: about 6 weeks ago. Might be the smartcard, though I don't get such a screen telling me to get a new one. Just "please standby for the satellite signal..." Then it just hangs on Progress: 0/5.

Maybe I'm confused about the terminology...I have two LNBFs on the dish. I figured the guide wasn't coming from 82...just trying to imagine anything that might be a problem as I'm getting close to taking a sledgehammer to this dish :eek:

As to when it was activated: about 6 weeks ago. Might be the smartcard, though I don't get such a screen telling me to get a new one. Just "please standby for the satellite signal..." Then it just hangs on Progress: 0/5.

It was much longer ago than a month, so that shouldn't be it.

And I got that error too when first installing. It was because the dish was not aimed at Nimiq 91, it was aimed at some US company's dish at nearly the same spot. When you do your point dish thing with the tones and the signal strength, do you see "Locked -- Name not Aquired" or "Locked -- Nimiq 91"?

Do you have 2 LNB's that can be separated or one giant LNB?

Since you only need (or can get) 91, if you have 2 separate LNB's put the LNB into the 91 side of the "Y" adapter (if behind the dish its the left side). Hook the cable directly from the 3100 to the LNB and run a check switch

If its the Twin, then dont use the 44 switch. Hook the cable directly to the LNB and again rerun check switch

guide comes from both satellites

I get 'locked-nimiq91'

I did as you suggested Iceberg and still nothing. The check switch says I'm locked on 91 but 'no switch detected' when I just wire it straight.
The dish has two separate LNBs.
Due to the way the wiring is setup, it's difficult to tell which LNB is getting 91 (the left or right). Does this matter?

Left if you're looking from behind the dish. Perhaps if you could block right LNBF by foil, then we will know your left LNBF correctly pointed to 91W.
Actually, if you could post a snapshot of Check Switch screen ...

Ok so if I block the right LNBF (when standing behind the dish looking at the receiving end of the LNBF's) I lose the signal, so that means 91 is coming through this one...which is not correct? Does it matter?
Find attached the photo of the check switch screen.

Attachments

• IMG00006.jpg
    IMG00006.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 396
Ok so I moved the dish so that the correct LNB is getting nimiq91, and now I get something different on the 'Attention please standby...' screen. I now get Satellite: EV91 (before there was nothing in this field), Transponder: 01 (before nothing here) and Progress: 1 of 5 (before it was stuck on zero)
But it's hung here now...guess I'll let it sit a while and if it makes any progress...the saga continues...

Yeah, I see on that picture the SW-44 discovered, another good sign.
So, continue tweaking your dish, be sure you set proper skew and your post is plumb also.

Shouldn't it be sufficient that I'm getting >70% on all transponders, with many near 100%? Any obvious reasons why I'd be stuck on 1/5 on the 'acquiring satellite signal' sceen?
Thanks for all your help...hopefully I'll get there sometime soon!

yes that should be fine

what I would do is rerun a check switch. Once that is run, it should say only 91 with no switch attached

save it and back out....it should go from 1 to 5 to 5 to 5. If it hangs on 1 of 5 for more than say 2 minutes, press and hold down the power button on the unit to soft reset it. When the light goes out release and let it cycle through