Bell in the US without Nimiq82

Yah the post is plumb...I can't remember where I left off with the skew...was basically just playing with it every which way to get a decent signal. I'll double check that in the morning though. Would it really matter if I've already got good signal?

I removed the switch so now it says 'switch unknown'. Still stuck on the same screen but with a different transponder now...just infuriating...every time it feels like I make some progress (with your help) there's another obstacle.

I removed the switch so now it says 'switch unknown'. Still stuck on the same screen but with a different transponder now...just infuriating...every time it feels like I make some progress (with your help) there's another obstacle.

switch unknown is OK...that means no switch...I assume it shows 91 odd & 91 even?
it should make progress beyond 1 of 5

try and unplug the unit for 2 minutes then plug back in and let it cycle thorugh

Yes it shows 91 odd and 91 even. I unplugged it, reset, etc but still got nothing. Will Bell be able to tell where I'm calling from if I call them? I'm wondering if it's something to do with the smart card or something. Is there any way to tell if it's something on their end that's causing the problem? The receiver was activated about 2 months ago but then not used since.

Definitly 2 months is too long period for modern card, but if it expired then it shoud popup special message and definitly the receiver must pass all 5 stages before that. Try to tune to tp1 or tp7, check if SS is high enough and then exit from that menu without changing tpn number.

Last edited:
Yes it shows 91 odd and 91 even. I unplugged it, reset, etc but still got nothing. Will Bell be able to tell where I'm calling from if I call them? I'm wondering if it's something to do with the smart card or something. Is there any way to tell if it's something on their end that's causing the problem? The receiver was activated about 2 months ago but then not used since.

I would not try and call Bell from the US especially if you give any account info.

I use a really old 4700 which has long since been deactivated for alignment purposes so I don' think your problem is a smart card issue. I take it with me to the dish and hook it up to a small portable TV so I can see what I am doing.

What you could do is tune to Transponder 01 on 91W on the install/point dish screen (Note must be TP01 or a non 8PSK transponder for this next step to work). Now slowly move the dish counter clockwise a few degrees (around 10-20 degrees ) and you should find that it locates Nimiq 4 at 82W. It will show wrong satellite but will identify it. This way you know if you can pull in 82W and make sure you are not blocked). I think the TP's that work for this are TP01, 02, 15, 16).

If this works move the dish back to 91W and see if you can get both satellites working.

ALL tpn on 91W are QPSK, 82W use 8PSK on tp 3/5/7/13.
Home tpn on 91W are 1 [EPG2] and 7 [EPG], 82W - tp1 [EPG].

I think you will find the conversion to 8PSK is complete on 82W with the exception of 5 transponders (01,02,06 I think, 15,16 which carry SD channels) . See Bell Uplink Reports for 6/25/09.

You point to the wrong tree - I could tell you what is modulation on each tpn without any reports here or there.

Not sure if you are referring to my post but I assure you The 8PSK conversion is complete on 82W. Only TP's 1,2, 6, 15 and 16 remain QPSK.

I know this because my old 4700 will only lock onto those transponders and literally changed overnight as they changed things.

Also see the following long thread of posts covering the topic on the Canadian Digital Home location.

8PSK Conversion - Digital Forum

I tried to get 82W today but with no luck. Still can't figure out why I can't get any channels. One strange things is that if I set the transponder to, say, 07 in the point dish menu (611), and then cancel back to the main screen, it's always on TP01 and stuck on 1 of 5.

Is it possible Bell tried to ping the receiver, couldn't see it, and disabled it? Would my symptoms be consistent with that? Is there a hard reset option?

I tried to get 82W today but with no luck. Still can't figure out why I can't get any channels. One strange things is that if I set the transponder to, say, 07 in the point dish menu (611), and then cancel back to the main screen, it's always on TP01 and stuck on 1 of 5.

Is it possible Bell tried to ping the receiver, couldn't see it, and disabled it? Would my symptoms be consistent with that? Is there a hard reset option?

What size dish are you using? I pull in 91W fine with the 20 inch Bell Dish but absolutely nothing on 82W once they launched Nimiq 4. I had to increase the dish size (76 cms works for about 75% of the transponders here in Nashville, the 100 cms works for all transponders and even then I lose a couple at night).

If you are just using the standard Bell dish I suspect you will not find 82W at all in Virginia

As for Bell pinging your receiver, as long as you only have one on the account I don't think they bother. I have had Bell for 10 years and never once have my receivers seen the phone line.

and thelist too ;)

The Coolsat 5000 only scans in a handful of TP's on 82 also...there use to be a test card (HD promo loop) that was available FTA but that went 8PSK too :(

even if Bell disabled the programming, the receiver should go through the cycle up to 5 of 5 then say "you must call". Had that with a Dish receiver that was out of the stream for a month or so. Gave me a few free to air channels and then that was it. The rest I had the "Call Dish to reactivate" screen

Hard reset is unplug from outlet for 2-3 minutes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)