Bell N2 satellite and signal

johnrhutchings

Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
I have just installed a bell system in North Texas and am able to get all channels. I am using two dishes an 18 in dish for N1 and N3 and a 20 in dish for N2 (the one that bell supplies) . I am using just one side of the dual LNB adapter and am getting a signal level of 58 to 64 on all transponders. My question is this, is this the best I can expect for my location for N2, or should I get a single LNB adapter and just use the 20 in dish in a single configuration or would a larger dish say like a 30 in dish make that much of a difference. I am using this for HD channels and want to have the best signal strengh possible.

Thanks

I would try a larger dish

When I had ExpressVu, I had all soprts of configurations (2 18", 20", etc)...this is for MN

When I used a 18" for N2, I got around 65-68 on all TP's...I was using a 24" for N1
I put a spacer and was able to get both N1 & N2 on the 24" dish right...got 72-75 on all N2 TP's

N2 is crippled, so they can't run all 32 TP's and the power isn't 100%

I think even a 24" would help

Iceburg. Interesting signal levels. Here outside of Pittsburgh, PA I am getting 84-86 from N2, N1 TPs get 86-89, and N3 TPs get 90-100 using 2 18" dishes.

Do you have an idea of where the Nimiq sats are strongest? I'm thinking they are strongest or have a major lobe over lower Ontario. How far are you from the Canadian border? It's a 6 hour drive to Toronto from here, but the border is 200 miles away.

bryan,

I'm rather surprised at our difference in signal levels. I'm only using a single sat dish but I get signal strengths of 95-98 and I'm in Meadville. And, I'm assuming your figure for the 200 miles to the border is by driving to the Peace Bridge because downtown Pittsburgh due north to the Canadian border in Lake Erie is only 138 miles.

Thanks for the input. Given the choice between a 24 in and 30 in dish, which one would give me the best bang for the buck.

I get about the same levels as brian. I can get higher on N1 or N2, but for both of them to be maximized, I have to settle in the upper 80's.
I suppose I could get seperate dishes, but I don't want my dish farm to get to big.

Bryan and pretzelboy

I originally had a Dish500 for both and would get 80-85 on N1 and 65-70 on N2

At the end when I upgraded to a 24" I had 100% on N3 birds, 90-100 on N1 birds and 72-75 on N2....I don't have it anynmore, but at one time I had 23 out of 32 TP's on N1/N3 at 100% steady. I don't have ExpressVu anymore

I'm in Minneapolis, so its a 5-6 hour drive to the border (225 miles up I-35 and Hwy 61) :)

bryan27 said:
Do you have an idea of where the Nimiq sats are strongest? I'm thinking they are strongest or have a major lobe over lower Ontario. How far are you from the Canadian border? It's a 6 hour drive to Toronto from here, but the border is 200 miles away.

yep. I have a feeling it revolves around where Bell thinks the only city in Canada is....Toronto

pretzelboy said:
bryan,

I'm rather surprised at our difference in signal levels. I'm only using a single sat dish but I get signal strengths of 95-98 and I'm in Meadville. And, I'm assuming your figure for the 200 miles to the border is by driving to the Peace Bridge because downtown Pittsburgh due north to the Canadian border in Lake Erie is only 138 miles.

It was a rough guess based on how long it took me to drive to Cleveland many years ago. I did do some tweeking and dish movement yesterday (those damn trees). N3 TPs are now all 100, N1 TPs in the mid 80s, and N2 TPs in the low 80's.

Iceberg said:
yep. I have a feeling it revolves around where Bell thinks the only city in Canada is....Toronto

That's my thinking also. I've noticed Bev carries all 10 Toronto stations, but not all the stations for other major cities and some cities are left out completly.

I am new to BEV. I've been following this thread trying to learn. Would greatly appreaciate if somebody can educate me a little bit.

I am setup w/ the 20 in dish BEV provides. I am getting over 90 on the 91 bird and 75 on the 82 bird. I thought there were only these two birds, 91 (N1) and 82 (N2).

Where is this N3 you talk about located and what is it for? The receiver's signal strenght screen only shows two birds.

Also how do you know which TPs are on each bird?

thanks

bryan27 said:
It was a rough guess based on how long it took me to drive to Cleveland many years ago. I did do some tweeking and dish movement yesterday (those damn trees). N3 TPs are now all 100, N1 TPs in the mid 80s, and N2 TPs in the low 80's.

That's my thinking also. I've noticed Bev carries all 10 Toronto stations, but not all the stations for other major cities and some cities are left out completly.

bigcat said:
I am new to BEV. I've been following this thread trying to learn. Would greatly appreaciate if somebody can educate me a little bit.

I am setup w/ the 20 in dish BEV provides. I am getting over 90 on the 91 bird and 75 on the 82 bird. I thought there were only these two birds, 91 (N1) and 82 (N2).

Where is this N3 you talk about located and what is it for? The receiver's signal strenght screen only shows two birds.

Also how do you know which TPs are on each bird?

thanks

N1 at 91 they are trying to draw out its life. So Bell purchased an old DirecTv satellite and named it N3. It is in the same orbital slot as N1. 8 TP's are in use on N3 and the other 24 on N1 (again...at the same spot)

N3 doesnt cover as much as N1 in the US. Sicne it isnt as large of a coverage, they shifted it towards Canada, which nuked California, Texas, AZ, etc.

If you have good coverage of N3, your numbers will be higher then the N1 TP's

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts