Bell Swapping Smartcards - Get ready for the cheap FTA gear!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
from Share holders Press release by DISH:

" Dish Card Swap.. Share holders press release

Increases in theft of our signal or our competitors' signal could limit our subscriber growth and cause subscriber churn to increase. Our signal encryption has been compromised by theft of service, and even though we continue to respond to compromises of our encryption system with security measures intended to make signal theft of our programing more difficult, theft of our signal is increasing. We cannot assure you that we will be successful in reducing or controlling theft of our service.

During 2005, we replaced our smart cards in order to reduce theft of our service. However, the smart card replacement did not fully secure our system, and we have since implemented software patches and other security measures to help protect our service. Nevertheless, these security measures are short-term fixes and we remain susceptible to additional signal theft. Therefore, we have developed a plan to replace our existing smart cards and/or security chips to re-secure our signals for a longer term which will be implemented later this year. The project is expected to take approximately nine to twelve months to complete. While our existing smart cards installed in 2005 remain under warranty, we could incur operational costs in excess of $50 million in connection with our smart card replacement program."

tdti1 Quote :There are tons of great things to watch on dvb in HD. where would these channels be,what satellites would these be found on ,and how many other worthwhile channels are there. Thanks

the only HD channel up on KU 24/7 is PBS HD

The rest are usually sports feeds and they are on a variety of satellites up there.

Maybe by the time they get these swapped they will be hacked again just like last time. So these cards only cost them about $3-5 a piece huh?

Maybe by the time they get these swapped they will be hacked again just like last time. So these cards only cost them about $3-5 a piece huh?

Sounds logical to me.

It is going to take 6-9 months to change out cards....so that leaves hacks a HUGE time frame to work on encryption.

This will never end piracy.

Pirates will always be around.

They will pick provider with the weaker encryption and hack away.

tdti1 Quote :There are tons of great things to watch on dvb in HD. where would these channels be,what satellites would these be found on ,and how many other worthwhile channels are there. Thanks

If you like to play around and surf the sky's you will find great feeds, what you find is best when kept to yourself :)

Not nessesarily... or, at least, not everywhere, i guess

On G-25 / 97 west say...

If you find something new or some change, etc.. - regardless if you keep it to yourself or report it publicly - it will NOT matter..

I keep track of 97 west activities for few years already (on it's KU band anyhow) .. and NOT once to-date, have i noticed something there changed or influenced by something someone might have said publicly, at one place or another, about some activities on that bird

They do there .. whatever they want to do anyhow..
There anyhow, it seems like, whatever is meant to be / whatever they are planning to do - is gonna happen anyhow (regardless if you keep it to yourself or "spread it" publicly) :)

Sounds logical to me.

It is going to take 6-9 months to change out cards....so that leaves hacks a HUGE time frame to work on encryption.

This will never end piracy.

Pirates will always be around.

They will pick provider with the weaker encryption and hack away.
I don't think it's that simple..

To me anyhow, it would be logical to think .. that for "them" to try and "do something with it" would be needed to see the stream turned on "full blast" .. and that shouldn't happen until the swap is fully completed.

Otherwise "non-swapped" subs will not be able to see what they are entitled to see...

That's how it seems to me anyhow.. and i could be wrong, of course :)

Bell ExpressVu in Canada is doing their card swap so by the time Dish Network starts theirs, Bell's system will already be in use, therefore the hackers will have time to work on it before Dish's swap is even complete. DirecTv's system seems to be pretty secure even after it has been what - 3 or 4 years since the swap? That is the longest I ever remember DirecTv's system being secure. If it is not as secure as Dish Network then I would think that they would be cracking down on DirecTv even more, especially with all of the HD channels that are up now. As long as DirecTv has not been compromised I am surprised that they have not even had any success at all at getting into the cards because by now they usually are in them. Must be due to how much more vulnerable Dish's system was, they must have left DirecTv's system alone. That may not be the case once Dish and Bell are secure though.

You got a point there .. about Bell ExpressVu's swap happening before DISH's ...

But who knows... - only time will show how successful / unsuccessful the providers will be securing their system this time, or how successful / unsuccessful the hackers will be attempting to crack it...

I get 6 local with my rabbit ears ,

Antennas can pick up digital OTA programming, so that's no excuse.

Whats all this talk about FTA anyways, if the companys go under and there is no TRUE FTA signals out there; aren't these STBs now just bookends and doorstops?

and about HD I've got a nice HDTV system and its unless trying to pick any HD with rabbit ears or the 15 other HD
antennas I've tried, they're all useless .they only work in select areas.

Expressvu seems to be the way to go in my area, unless I can use one of these " discounted systems" on BEV legally.

thats my my 3 months experience talking ,,,lol:)

Whats all this talk about FTA anyways, if the companys go under and there is no TRUE FTA signals out there; aren't these STBs now just bookends and doorstops?

there are TONS of true fta out there...I've got approx 400 video and 200 audio channels of TRUE FTA up 24/7 and numerous news and sports feeds out there

thanks

there are TONS of true fta out there...I've got approx 400 video and 200 audio channels of TRUE FTA up 24/7 and numerous news and sports feeds out there

I guess I'd need another dish and a motor then?
what size is best?

does that include Football feeds?
:)

Unless there is a complete, broadcast industry-wide shift to distribution of programming via fiber or some other landline method, true FTA is gonna be here for a very long time. You've gotta remember that this programming comes from literally hundreds of different sources, its not just from one or two broadcasters/uplinkers :)

Channels do come and go all the time (we lost two New Orleans locals early last year due to Ku weather problems forcing the engineering department to turn to fiber), but we also gain new channels.

The Smartcard is build on board the motherboard on that receiver, you WILL get sent a card which will go into the card slot on your unit which will disable the smartcard built into the motherboard.
My 4100 receiver doe's not have a card slot. bellcard swap info states that not all receivers will need new cards. looks like they can update the mother board BTW the swap has already started . Received new card for my 3100 last week.
The card swap may not take as long as predicted. in Germany they swapped over 6 million cards in 4 weeks.

its unless trying to pick any HD with rabbit ears or the 15 other HD
antennas I've tried, they're all useless .they only work in select areas.

Try this forum for antenna reception with a home built antenna in the Ottawa area.
DBGH Antenna: Hoverman Modernized, Improved by DHCers - Page 9 - Digital Forum
The antenna is only part of the equation. If you are not very close to the transmission towers then a good pre-amplifier, rotor and even tower may be necessary.

I can't wait to pick up a couple of more pansat 9200 Hd boxes for cheap from fleabay.
People will be throwing their boxes in the trash and yard sales will have them for 10 dollars.

Whew wee!!

I know I have ranted about it before......But as with many of you, I wish there were a way to clarify to everyone (those who don't truely know the difference)what true FTA is and what it is NOT.

Nothing insults me more when people ask me if I know how to "fix cards"or do I have the latest "keys" . I instantly goe into my sermon. You don't even want to hear that one! I always reinforce to them number one- It isn't the right thing to do even if they can, two - they will end up paying more money to some bootlegger than if they just payed their bill and have reliable reception.

The hackers are scamming everyone - from the distributors, program providers, end paying consumer. People must remember they are making big money and don't care about anything but their bottom line.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)