Bell TV to start swapping out ALL HD MPEG2 Receivers, October 23rd.

Yup. I call BS. No way they are swapping SD receivers yet. And if they did, it would be with MPEG4 units. Kynoch must be a new Bell installer.

I think I will trust Slartibartfarst who is the most reputable Bell source I know.

Im not a New Bell TV installer, i do all Bell TV work. Below is the PDF i received from Bell concern the receiver swap program.
As per our vendor requests, older SD receivers are being RMA'ed and replaced with 4100's. Your right, not all SD's are being replaced, but it is happening.

Attachments

• National Installation Bulletin MPEG4 Transition Phase 1 QX v 10.18.11.pdf
    95.3 KB · Views: 400
Last edited:
That Bulletin is about MPEG2 HD Receivers ONLY.

As you clearly work for QX, I would strongly advise you to firstly modify the .PDF file so it removes the VALID e-mail address (Dean will NOT want questions about this swap going to his desk in Mississauga) and also stop RMA'ing SD Receivers that have NO faults.

If you don't believe me, check with Cam.

Older SD receivers will also be replaced with 4100's. As a technician we are supposed to swap out older receivers on service calls and installations.

This could be real fun. I’m in the “southern provinces”, and as far as I can tell the broker I used to use is long out-of-business. I am able to keep my account current because I figured out how to log in on Bell’s web site. But if my 4700 is obsoleted and needs to be swapped, I think I’m SOL!

Got my new 9242 on Friday and replaced my 9200 with the 9242 yesterday. Had some trouble setting up & getting TV2 in the second room to receive signalling, but finally figured it out. For anyone interested: Under Menu / Modulator Settings, you have to set it for Cable, then if your second TV is working thru a VCR which for me was Channel 75, then once Modulator Settings was set to Channel 75 - instantly the second TV was enabled. Picture quality is much improved / excellent, very close to the AZBox HD Quality, so its a great upgrade for Bell Customers.

Also noticed when I was going thru the Check Switch setup I momentarily saw a 3rd Satellite there besides 82 & 91, but after authorization it is no longer there when I go to point dish Menu to see the transponder signal strengths. Thought it may have been Satellite 119 but not sure, does anyone know what Bell's new Satellite will be likely for this MPEG 4 setup?

It was 119. Bell 9242s are refurbed Dish Network 622s. There is no new satellite for MPEG4.

MPEG4 allows them to cram even more low bandwidth HD channels on 82.

Also if I am not mistaken you will find that BOTH Tuners are sent out via Coax towards TV2, so not only can you watch independantly the 2nd Tuner but you can also monitor, what is being watched on Tuner 1.

Also if I am not mistaken you will find that BOTH Tuners are sent out via Coax towards TV2, so not only can you watch independantly the 2nd Tuner but you can also monitor, what is being watched on Tuner 1.

Slartibartfarst, not sure what you mean, how or any idea how this can be done, since when 2 TV's are independently viewing 91 & 82 Both split picture and PIP do not work?

It was 119. Bell 9242s are refurbed Dish Network 622s. There is no new satellite for MPEG4.

MPEG4 allows them to cram even more low bandwidth HD channels on 82.

Thanks Peano, my 9242 Rx appears to be brand new and was also shipped with 2 new Remote Controls and new Audio and Component Video Cables. Could have used an HDMI cable but hey the other ones were free! MPEG4 may allow them to cram more channels, etc, but thought I heard that this change CRTC ordered? Its Hard to believe that Bell would do this Receiver change just for the good of their customers. I don't know much about MPEG4 but I do know the picture quality now is definately an improvement over the 9200's. Just my 2 cents.

Yes - part of the reason is they have to add about 40 local channels to satisfy the CRTC. But only the HD signals will be MPEG4. SD will continue to be MPEG2.

Slartibartfarst, not sure what you mean, how or any idea how this can be done, since when 2 TV's are independently viewing 91 & 82 Both split picture and PIP do not work?

Go to MENU, 6, 1, 3, it will show BOTH Channels that the Tuners are running out on, TV2 is 60, TV1 is on Ch62.

If it is not showing a Ch# for TV1, go to MENU, 6,1,5 and choose "Air or Cable" for TV1.

Last edited:
When you get your 9200 swapped out for a 9242 you will be able to do what I described above. It is the only model that can do this.

Ah yes, I just checked my 622 and that option is there. My 9242's should arrive tonight too so I should be able to set it up on them too.

thanks.

My replacement was shipped to me by my broker on Monday but it did need to be activated. Working great and since I already had a 2TB USB drive now I've got a DVR.

I have a 9200. Can it be electronically altered to receive the mpeg4 format...can't the input signal be altered so the 9200 can still see it?

No. It will no longer function as an HD Receiver when Bell switch to MPEG4. It could still function as an SD MPEG2 Dual Tuner PVR (just like a 5200) but Bell are going to remove ALL 9200's from the list of active receivers when the time comes.

It will still continue to function as an OTA HD PVR, afterwards providing that you still feed it with a satellite signal.

peano said:
I read somewhere they will Purolator the receiver to your service address.

For that point there is an option to mail it to another address as for cottage and/or trailer subscribers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)